PDA

View Full Version : Bryco 9mm handgun

Fillagin
03-01-2007, 7:18 AM
Are these guns worth buying and are they Calif. legal.

AJAX22
03-01-2007, 7:28 AM
1) no they aren't worth the zinc they're made of

2) no they aren't CA approved, since they aren't made anymore

3) many arn't actually 9mm but 9mm kurtz (.380) they're just mislabled

4) they never made a 10 round magazine, all hold 12 so you can never get one legaly

5) they cut the web of your hand up something fierce

6) they are prone to internal failure which requires complete dissasembly and modification of many components to fix (you may not make it through a full magazine)

7) you can't find parts for it, especially the stupid little spring that holds the magazine in place that likes to shoot out from under the grips, and the loaded chamber indicator/firing pin indicator which fall off all the time.

trashman
03-01-2007, 8:00 AM
...and to add to that (FWIW) the DOJ approved safe handgun list was devised principally to keep guns from this manufacturer (and others, like Jennings) off the market in California.

(Secondarily, of course, the list seems designed to inflate the used handgun market so that we would all buy new handguns instead....)

--Neill

luvtolean
03-01-2007, 8:13 AM
...and to add to that (FWIW) the DOJ approved safe handgun list was devised principally to keep guns from this manufacturer (and others, like Jennings) off the market in California.

(Secondarily, of course, the list seems designed to inflate the used handgun market so that we would all buy new handguns instead....)

--Neill

BS

It was written to ban as many guns as possible under the auspices of safety.

maxicon
03-01-2007, 9:10 AM
What's funny is that the Jennings and similar guns have made it past the handgun safety certification.

I agree, the primary goal of The List is to keep affordable used guns out of California, and send the ones already here out of state. Otherwise, they'd never expire - it's not like a specific model becomes unsafe after 3 years.

Back to Bryco, I'd recommend a used Ruger P series over any of the zinc slide cheapies. You can pick them up for $250 or less, and have a sturdy, accurate gun (if a bit ugly and clumsy) that will last forever.

If cost is really critical, the FEG PA-63 is an alternative. Terrible DA trigger, unpleasant recoil, but affordable and reliable.

The SoCal Gunner
03-01-2007, 10:52 AM
BS

+1. They want to ban as many guns as possible.

Maddog5150
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Bryco Jennings never made the safty standards. The company was bought out by hispanics and made Jeminez Arms. I remember reading an article that said after several tries at testing, Jeminez finally was able to pass the drop testing and it was put on the list for a shirt period of time. I remember it being on the list and laughing about it with my co-workers but now its not on the list anymore. Probably went under :rolleyes:

Turbinator
03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
GET IT!!

:D

Turby

JPglee1
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
bryco: no.

Phoenix Arms .22LR, ok :D

I had one, loved it...never a single problem. Only sold it to get a Glock 19 which I subsequently sold for a Makarov (like 'em better for my needs)

Anyway, if its made of ZINC...just say NO.

J

SkyMag68
03-01-2007, 1:00 PM
I used to hav one(.380)....about 8 yrs ago and its in half workin condition...:D

toolman9000
03-01-2007, 3:45 PM
I got this one for free when I bought my Beretta 950BS .25...

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4779/bryco2kg8.jpg

I have never shot it, I just keep it in my safe - I have deemed it my "ghetto blaster"

I figure in 50 years these cheap little pistols will gain a following, and the one I have will be worth $150!

-toolman9000

trashman
03-01-2007, 3:55 PM
BS

Yes, but....the Jennings, Bryco -type (ring of fire) pistols were /specifically/ targeted since (at the time) they were at the top of the FBI's "guns most frequently used in the commission of a crime" study.

I don't dispute, though, that once the ball got rolling, the list's main purpose was the simply stifle the gun market as much as possible.

The ironic thing is that it (just like the non-proliferation 1-handgun/month rule), all this has done is increased purchases by folks like us....(witness the older Smith feeding frenzies on this board...)

cheers,
--Neill

luvtolean
03-01-2007, 4:35 PM
Yeah, due to the 1 in 30 deal, people have a line waiting at my favorite gun shop. It's pretty comical sometimes...

boogak
03-01-2007, 8:27 PM
isnt that company jennings based in california?