PDA

View Full Version : Drat.. So close and yet so far.. Some help please?

edsel6502
03-01-2007, 12:57 AM
So I was building my very first OLL merrily away tonight.

The AR gods smiled on me. I didn't launch my detents into the ether or scratch anything. :)

But i got too cocky and I got smitted? smoted? :p

I was getting to the final part of having my first AR completed. Ie. Attaching the buttstock when I realized that its taking a butt load of torque to get my Stag tactical buttstock (pun intended) threaded onto my Mega lower. I grabbed another Mega lower to make sure its not my 1st Mega lower but the 2nd Mega also was really really tight. I don't want to over torque and do something bad to my lower's threads or something. So I stopped. Feels like you need to be Hercules to thread onto the lower.

What was strange was that the same Stag tactical buttstock threads onto to my CMMG lower like buttah. Here you only need the strength of silken tofu get it on.

I thought when it came to buttstocks etc. the only variable was the buffer tube where they could be commercial or milspec. But the threads on a buttstock?.

Could it be that I got some badly machined Mega lowers?. Or are Mega lowers incompatible with Stag buttstocks?.:confused:

Anyone have Mega lowers with a Stag tactical buttstock? and experience the same issue as I did?

Cheers,
ed

socal44
03-01-2007, 7:56 AM
Forgive me, but what does OLL stand for?

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 8:02 AM
OLL ? LOL Off List Lower.

Read Here and learn.
http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

shark92651
03-01-2007, 8:05 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Off List Lower - this is how you can build a California legal AR15 style rifle. Go here to learn all about it: http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

shark92651
03-01-2007, 8:08 AM
So I was building my very first OLL merrily away tonight.

The AR gods smiled on me. I didn't launch my detents into the ether or scratch anything. :)

But i got too cocky and I got smitted? smoted? :p

I was getting to the final part of having my first AR completed. Ie. Attaching the buttstock when I realized that its taking a butt load of torque to get my Stag tactical buttstock (pun intended) threaded onto my Mega lower. I grabbed another Mega lower to make sure its not my 1st Mega lower but the 2nd Mega also was really really tight. I don't want to over torque and do something bad to my lower's threads or something. So I stopped. Feels like you need to be Hercules to thread onto the lower.

What was strange was that the same Stag tactical buttstock threads onto to my CMMG lower like buttah. Here you only need the strength of silken tofu get it on.

I thought when it came to buttstocks etc. the only variable was the buffer tube where they could be commercial or milspec. But the threads on a buttstock?.

Could it be that I got some badly machined Mega lowers?. Or are Mega lowers incompatible with Stag buttstocks?.:confused:

Anyone have Mega lowers with a Stag tactical buttstock? and experience the same issue as I did?

Cheers,
ed

I don't have any experience with either Mega lowers or Stag buttstocks so I don't have any valuable real-world experience to offer, but I can give ignorant suggestions :D How about a little lubricant on the threads? It sounds like something is out of spec...

edsel6502
03-01-2007, 9:10 AM
I tried some lubricant and grease. No such luck.

I'll try putting on a U15 stock later. I hope its not some badly machined lowers. I'll probably need a vise/clamp to install. I have also a VLTOR buttstock on the way. I can try that too later.

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 9:16 AM
Maybe take your stock and receiver to a local OLL friendly FFL and or local friend with measuring tools and or other AR parts to find out which part is out if spec.

Remember righty tighty lefty loosey.

I tried some lubricant and grease. No such luck.

I'll try putting on a U15 stock later. I hope its not some badly machined lowers. I'll probably need a vise/clamp to install. I have also a VLTOR buttstock on the way. I can try that too later.

edsel6502
03-01-2007, 9:35 AM
Maybe take your stock and receiver to a local OLL friendly FFL and or local friend with measuring tools and or other AR parts to find out which part is out if spec.

Remember righty tighty lefty loosey.

Heh. the same stock threads onto my CMMG lower without any force.

I'll probably head over to Irvington Arms when I get a chance. Most of my friends either roll their eyes or give me stink-eye when I talk about guns. So they'll be AR parts challenged

I'm also going to try to find my calipers and make some measurements to double check.

Thanks for the advice.

Gunsrruss
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I was threading the firing pin from an old Mauser into a new curved handled bolt body:) Man it just wouldn't screw on:mad: So being the bright guy I am I bought a new one again. It to would not screw on:confused: But as I continued to screw it on and off I realized it was going on just a little bit more each time. I lubed it and kept working it until it went on:D You have a coating there to deal with. Try some penitrating oil and keep working it. You might find that this works. Look and make sure your not cross threading.

edsel6502
03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah. I'm going to be more liberal with the lube.

I'm relieved, as I tried to screw on the tube from my U15 and it went on to the Mega without any problem. So it could be that the Mega and that particular stag lower just not happy together.

shark92651
03-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah. I'm going to be more liberal with the lube.

Lets keep your personal life out of this thread and stick to rifles :D Sorry, couldn't resist...

guimus
03-01-2007, 1:33 PM
all of my buffer tubes thread onto RRA and Mega lowers equally easily, so something with your setup isn't right.

DANGERCLOSE
03-01-2007, 3:53 PM
could it be a differrence of mil-spec tube and non mil-spec tube if its for a collapsible stock.

Technical Ted
03-01-2007, 3:56 PM
could it be a differrence of mil-spec tube and non mil-spec tube if its for a collapsible stock.
Threading is the same on both the commercial and mil-spec receiver extensions (AKA buffer tube) and should be on all mil-spec receivers. That's what makes it all interchangeable.

I'm thinking the anodized coating on the Mega is thicker than normal and that the threads simply need chasing with the receiver extension.