PDA

View Full Version : Rail shopping

Colt-45
12-01-2011, 2:06 PM
Looking for a rail for my next build. 14.5" carbine length.

Is there any other rails that use a delta ring and have this bridge thing that connects the rail to the upper?

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/519adde6626aa85341f3a06dd29d9293.jpg

http://dynamicarmament.com/images/danieldefenseoct2008/danielomegarail.jpg

So far the only one I could find is the DD omega 7". Any other alternatives?

Jyruiz
12-01-2011, 3:18 PM
Midwest Industries carries makes one, it is the Gen 2 piece. I believe DD also makes a two piece drop in one like you want.

wash
12-01-2011, 3:45 PM
Is there a reason why you need a Delta ring?

I think the rails that clamp more of the barrel nut or have their own barrel nut as part of the rail are more secure and stiff.

The DD is probably fine but the Sampson Star rails seem pretty nice and I'm going to buy a VTAC Extreme 15" rail for my next upper.

Eric_Oh
12-01-2011, 4:00 PM
I run the omega on my 16" and love it so far. Easy to install, no need for special tools and its got a nice slim profile.

AeroEngi
12-01-2011, 4:03 PM
I also run the DD Omega rail on my 16" carbine. I absolutely love that thing. It locks up solid and doesn't budge one bit. It's a two-piece rail so installation is cake.

tomd1584
12-01-2011, 4:10 PM
The Centurion is drop-in and FF. However, it requires you to [quickly] dremel off the Delta ring. takes about 10 minutes.

ddj8052
12-01-2011, 4:10 PM
I had the Omega rail on my Stag for about three years and it was always rock solid. I just removed it in order to get a longer sight radius with a rifle length hand guard. I highly recommend the Omega rail. If you are interested in a used one, I will be selling the one I just removed.

Juan

Arnelcheeze
12-01-2011, 4:23 PM
go for a 2 piece float that clamps to the barrel nut, install in about 10 min, just cut off the delta ring.

Agent Tikki
12-01-2011, 7:22 PM
Have you checked out the vltor cas-v?

Munny$hot
12-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Knights Armament RAS II

Colt-45
12-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Knights Armament RAS II

That seems perfect.
Is it free float? is it widely available? I've found it in a few places but it was out of stock.

dieselpower
12-02-2011, 6:07 AM
YHM

Munny$hot
12-02-2011, 7:22 AM
That seems perfect.
Is it free float? is it widely available? I've found it in a few places but it was out of stock.

Yes they are and you don't need to cut off or modify anything.
Knight Armament has them for 150.00
http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=36

Colt-45
12-02-2011, 3:42 PM
Nice, that's perfect! thanks

loosewreck
12-02-2011, 4:06 PM
Just in case you might be interested, wanting to free float my m4, I just got one of these earlier this month, they're an awesome value.

Daniel Defense Omega X 12 FSP Rail (https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_Defense_Omega_X_12_0_FSP_Rail_System_C_p/dd-10005.htm)

Unfortunately it will be a little more complicated to install, because it uses a proprietary barrel nut. However, for $200 its a steal. So far its been rock solid and shockingly light weight.

Colt-45
12-03-2011, 12:56 AM
If I wont be putting any optics or scopes on the rail, do i really need a free float rail?

Do drop in's affect accuracy or something?

hawkinpup
12-03-2011, 7:38 AM
+1 DD rails

loosewreck
12-03-2011, 9:52 AM
If I wont be putting any optics or scopes on the rail, do i really need a free float rail?

If you're just gonna hang a light and a FVG of some sort, some used KAC drop-in rails will probably be the best bet or a Magpul MOE. If I were in your position, I would opt for a used DD Omega Carbine rail. I like them for their narrowness and solid lock up. You can always find a few used Omegas in the classified sections on most of the popular firearms forums for around $150. Those KAC RAS II for $150 new seem like a great deal, I just have zero personal experience with them, the deal breaker for me would be first, excessive added weight, and second, large overall width in cross section.

Do drop in's affect accuracy or something?

Any handguard that contacts and exerts pressure to the barrel will affect accuracy. In my case, the only reason I wanted to free float my M4gery was to breath new interest in the carbine, free floating was just my best excuse ;). I'm not super concerned about really tight groups with my ARs, I almost only shoot plates at ASR, and the only time I shoot at paper for groups is to re-zero my RDSs after moving them around.

Colt-45
12-03-2011, 8:04 PM
Any handguard that contacts and exerts pressure to the barrel will affect accuracy. In my case, the only reason I wanted to free float my M4gery was to breath new interest in the carbine, free floating was just my best excuse ;). I'm not super concerned about really tight groups with my ARs, I almost only shoot plates at ASR, and the only time I shoot at paper for groups is to re-zero my RDSs after moving them around.

Thanks for the info. I run free float rails on all my AR's. On this next build I only plan on running a magnifier and a Eotech XPS3. Those attach directly to the upper. I only need the rail for a pistol grip and a light.

The RAS II seemed perfect, I could mount the eotech(its a smaller eotech) on the hump and it would be perfect but then how would I raise the magnifier to the height of the eotech? the Larue ECOS-C seems like the solution but it's too long, I wouldn't have space for a my troy buis.

Unless I can find a way to raise the magnifier to the same height as the hump on the RAS II, I think I'm gonna go with the regular RAS or the MI GEN2 drop in.

Munny$hot
12-04-2011, 6:33 AM
There are different risers /mount hights avaible from different companies.