PDA

View Full Version : Colt 22lr Questions.

tehbigjoe
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Is a COLT 22lr AR Clone Legal in the state of California.

If so what if it has evil features like pistol grip and foldable/colapsable stalk?

Also i believe that 30 round clips are illegal, correct me if im wrong.

and is all legal with 10 round clip?

I am not sure if the evil feature illegal ar/ak list is relevant to a 22lr.

let me know if you got any imput.

jkonquer
12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
centerfire and rimfire ar rifles have different laws.

with rimfire rifle, you don't need magazine button but do need 10 round magazines.

colt 22lr is a look alike version of the ar15, they use different internals to make it rimfire. some of the functions are different from ar15. and it is legal in california as long as you can get the 10 round mag

MrPlink
12-01-2011, 4:14 PM
with rimfire rifle, you don't need magazine button but do need 10 round magazines.

not exactly, there is no limit to mag size for rimfire rifles but the method of acquisition of mags in excess of 10rds is what becomes the legal issue.

Practically speaking, there are no "pre-ban" mags for this rifle, so unless you somehow found some, there would be no legal way to acquire them.

but yeah, the evil feature and mag lock laws do not apply to rimfire rifles (they do apply to rimfire handguns though)

and for the money, get a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. It does not look as accurate to a true AR as the "Colt" does, but it has much better features, is made in America, and costs less

Chaos47
12-01-2011, 4:21 PM
First up its not really a Colt its made by Umarex.

Yes the evil feature laws do not apply to Rimfire

As jkonquer said they don't use the same internals

Yes you are still limited by magazine laws
As MrPlink stated possesion of any regular capacity magazine is not illegal. The law is about how it is procured.

So in function yes you are limited to 10 round magazines here.

Personally I would save my money for a real AR and get a Marlin 795 in the mean time.

Lastly there is a Rimfire section where you could find more help here

shadow65
12-01-2011, 4:35 PM
The "Colt" AR is only a Colt by name and is basically a .22 with an AR skin around it.
Much better options out there.
Dave N

jkonquer
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
btw it doesn't cost too much to get a 22lr conversion on ar15. i believe you only need 22lr bolt carrier and 22lr mag. for around 150-250 bucks.

MrPlink
12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
btw it doesn't cost too much to get a 22lr conversion on ar15. i believe you only need 22lr bolt carrier and 22lr mag. for around 150-250 bucks.

and they generally will not perform as well as either a dedicated .22lr upper or an actual .22lr rifle.

The actual dimensions of the bore are not the same and the twist rate on a centerfire barrel is not ideal for .22lr