PDA

View Full Version : Out of jail today!

Dirt22
12-01-2011, 3:41 AM
Gonna go pick up my first AR tonight, YAY!

M&P15, Did a lot of reading here and watched Zombie Tactics vids... I also pick up 1000 rounds of green tip tomorrow for CHEEP. I'll have a sore trigger finger my monday.
:43:

PsychGuy274
12-01-2011, 3:43 AM
Congratz!

colossians323
12-01-2011, 4:41 AM
Gonna go pick up my first AR tonight, YAY!

M&P15, Did a lot of reading here and watched Zombie Tactics vids... I also pick up 1000 rounds of green tip tomorrow for CHEEP. I'll have a sore trigger finger my monday.
:43:

Awesome.................where did you buy the ammo from?

h0use
12-01-2011, 4:46 AM
Very nice rifle! Congrats!

jgraham15
12-01-2011, 4:53 AM
Very cool!

Where can you shoot green tip in so-cal?

Dirt22
12-01-2011, 5:33 AM
I get the ammo from a friend who knows people. :) -Thats all I know. I shoot in places most cant get to, jeeps are good.

1forall
12-01-2011, 6:25 AM
Congratulations...and enjoy!

Ubermcoupe
12-01-2011, 6:30 AM
I also pick up 1000 rounds of green tip tomorrow for CHEEP.
where did you buy the ammo from?

Wondering the same...

I get the ammo from a friend who knows people

Jealous :(

Congrats on the new rifle!

nani
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Grats! I pick up mine on the 6th. Let us know how the break-in goes :-)

Before I bought mine, I read every AR thread I could and watched way too many youtube videos (including ZombieTactics). What finally got me to decide which one I wanted was actually handling them in stores (Colt, Stag, etc.). That's when the M&P won me over and I plunked down my cash.

Mamluke
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I shoot in places most cant get to, jeeps are good

... I know where you go shoot, seen ya b4 ...and that trail you take, bratha you can land a 747 jumbo jet on there :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/tak4.jpg

JK, BTW ... Congrats bro, post them pics...

... :popcorn: ...

12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
AWESOME! Congrats on your rifle! What mods if any do you plan?

icenix
12-01-2011, 1:19 PM
Grats! I pick up mine on the 6th. Let us know how the break-in goes :-)

Before I bought mine, I read every AR thread I could and watched way too many youtube videos (including ZombieTactics). What finally got me to decide which one I wanted was actually handling them in stores (Colt, Stag, etc.). That's when the M&P won me over and I plunked down my cash.

So I am going through that now, and I think I am to the point of over analyzing and I just need to make a decision. Why did you end up going with the M&P? Did you buy the tactical or the sport?

ChaneRZ
12-01-2011, 2:08 PM
nice and pics please!

chrisf
12-01-2011, 2:14 PM
congrats, May many more come. You will get the disease!!!

nani
12-01-2011, 7:22 PM
So I am going through that now, and I think I am to the point of over analyzing and I just need to make a decision. Why did you end up going with the M&P? Did you buy the tactical or the sport?

I was there too, suffering from information overload, which is why I just had to go out and handle them. The Sport is light weight, has good balance (others were very nose-heavy, and too heavy overall, but the Sport was perfect), and the fit and finish looked better than some of the other rifles I looked at. I handled 9 different rifles and kept going back to Sport.

The way I look at the dust cover debate is, none of my other guns or rifles have dust covers, and they work just fine, so that's not a dealbreaker for me. The forward assist functionality is taken care of by the bolt notch, so that's a no-brainer.

Also I like knowing that I can throw any ammo in it and it will just plain work (and won't -cough- void the warranty -cough-).

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 7:28 PM
So, where the hell are the pics?!?!?!?!?

MrPlink
12-01-2011, 7:37 PM
I get the ammo from a friend who knows people. :) -Thats all I know. I shoot in places most cant get to, jeeps are good.

cool story bro :D

FatalKitty
12-01-2011, 8:20 PM

Good for you.
be careful what you shoot at, be aware of your backstop - Green tip WILL light grass, trees, brush, papers on FIRE - so if you're in the middle of no where where only your special jeep can get to... don't be an idiot, pay attention.

congrats on your rifle.

now post pics or GTFO :)

Dirt22
12-01-2011, 8:48 PM
... I know where you go shoot, seen ya b4 ...and that trail you take, bratha you can land a 747 jumbo jet on there :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/tak4.jpg

JK, BTW ... Congrats bro, post them pics...

... :popcorn: ...

Ya, more like this...
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4567/dsc02003sb.jpg

Dirt22
12-01-2011, 8:51 PM
PICS PICS PICS!!!
Sheesh! I just got home, QUIT YELLING AT ME!!! lol.

Here's a crappy cel pic for now.

turners has this cheep $40 red dot, so I picked that up too, thinking if I don't like it, for $40 I'll just toss it.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9622/20111201214235676.jpg

ChaneRZ
12-01-2011, 9:07 PM
Get Eotech!

Dirt22
12-01-2011, 9:16 PM
You buying?? :cool:

roushstage2
12-01-2011, 9:28 PM
PICS PICS PICS!!!
Sheesh! I just got home, QUIT YELLING AT ME!!! lol.

Here's a crappy cel pic for now.

turners has this cheep $40 red dot, so I picked that up too, thinking if I don't like it, for $40 I'll just toss it.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9622/20111201214235676.jpg

Gun looks good! Perhaps it's because I'm just jumping up and down waiting to finish my first build of my first AR, lol!

If you don't want that red dot, BTW, lemme know ;)

FatalKitty
12-01-2011, 9:32 PM
LOL can you even see through that red dot? it's pretty dang low on there!

for $40 you could have picked up a magpul rear sight and at least be able to shoot it!

AR-MAN88
12-01-2011, 9:34 PM
nice bro!.. i picked my lmt sp16 earlier this year and man.. it was money's worth!.. i put a NCSTAR tactical III scope and a quad rail handguard on mine..sadly i only put about 100 round through her..

pattro
12-01-2011, 9:36 PM
Lookin good, let us know how it shoots.

Colt-45
12-02-2011, 12:45 AM

for $40 you could have picked up a magpul rear sight and at least be able to shoot it!

:rofl::rofl2::laugh::laugh:

Tacticool-ness got the best of him I guess.:p

Now he either needs a Larue mount or a Magpul mbuis.

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 5:04 AM

First thing I noticed... LOL

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 5:06 AM
Seriously? Why ya gatta clown on me?
I've never used a red dot before, so I"ll check out a cheep one... Sheesh.

Way to make a new guy feel welcome, I think I'll go back to lurking.

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 5:11 AM

Take a :chillpill:
Did you not look through the red dot?
I hope you're being sarcastic, 'cause if not.....:shrug:

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 5:25 AM
Ya guy, I looked thru it, AFTER I got it home and mounted... There's a red dot in it when you turn it on. Have not tried to shoot it yet, so I don't know how well it works.

Instead of trying to make me feel like a duchebag, why don't you educate me a little?

Zartan
12-02-2011, 5:25 AM
Congrats man! I've only been able to shoot mine once, but come christmas break, I' have 420 rounds of Lake City green tips to shoot.
Still dying to put an Eotech XPS2-0 and magnifier on it. CMon Santa!

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 5:34 AM
Ya guy, I looked thru it, AFTER I got it home and mounted... There's a red dot in it when you turn it on. Have not tried to shoot it yet, so I don't know how well it works.

Instead of trying to make me feel like a duchebag, why don't you educate me a little?

Well, I don't know how to help you...I just built my first AR, I slapped a red dot on it and looked through it and immediately said, "That aint gonna work, I can't see past the front site." You're gonna need a riser to raise your red dot.
And if you're gonna call me a douche bag, you could at least spell it correctly.

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 5:41 AM
I'm not going to get into a forum pissing match with you, Might re-read my post, I didn't call you anything.

I thought the front site needed to come off. How am I s'posed to know??

Ya know, I wasn't born with super AR knowledge, I'm gonna have to learn. It would be nice if instead of making fun of a guy while he's trying to figure all this chit out, maybe help him instead.

Just sayin.

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 5:52 AM
I'm not going to get into a forum pissing match with you, Might re-read my post, I didn't call you anything.

I thought the front site needed to come off. How am I s'posed to know??

Ya know, I wasn't born with super AR knowledge, I'm gonna have to learn. It would be nice if instead of making fun of a guy while he's trying to figure all this chit out, maybe help him instead.

Just sayin.

My bad, apparently I read like a douche bag:D
As far as being born with super AR knowledge, none of us were, we've all done the same crap. How else would we know, just by looking at the pic, that the site was too low? If you don't ask a question you'll never learn. If you post up a pic, you've gotta be able to take the good with the bad comments and not get bent out of shape when someone cuts up a bit, because as I said, most of us have done it.
Now, if you raise your red dot, you can add a rear site, either fixed or flip up, and you can "co-witness." This is what I will be doing. I like to back up electronics with mechanical.....electronics fail from time to time.

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 6:09 AM
Ok, now that we're over this little hump...

The M&P comes with a rear site, I took it off, Now it's back on and ya, the red dot is too low.

What do I need (and how much is it) to raise the red dot up to the same highth as the sights? Is there a standard "Riser" or do they come in different hights?

I'm not gonna spend $100 to make my $40 red dot work...

Thanks.

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 6:17 AM
You don't necessarily need to get one from here, shop around a bit. You may have to do some measuring of your own. I think I'm going to need one that raises it 1/2 inch. There are others that are a bit more pricy but will look a hell of a lot better.http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=7315

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 6:26 AM
I've got the stock sights on and the red dot mounted at the same time now, I can use them together but I'm looking thru the very top part of the red dot. I'm eyeballing the set up and looks like the red dot needs to come up a half inch.

I'll swing by the local hole in the wall gun shop today and see what they say/have.

I bought the gun from Turners, and although they have great prices, it's kinda like a wallmart. With a line of 8 guys behind me, the guys there don't have a lot of time to "play" with guns.

Thanks for the help.

Timbob55
12-02-2011, 6:27 AM

Jeeps are good, aren't they. (Owner 1972 Jeep Commando)

You'll enjoy the M&P15. I purchased one a couple months ago and am very impressed with the quality and reliability.

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 6:30 AM
I've got the stock sights on and the red dot mounted at the same time now, I can use them together but I'm looking thru the very top part of the red dot. I'm eyeballing the set up and looks like the red dot needs to come up a half inch.

I'll swing by the local hole in the wall gun shop today and see what they say/have.

I bought the gun from Turners, and although they have great prices, it's kinda like a wallmart. With a line of 8 guys behind me, the guys there don't have a lot of time to "play" with guns.

Thanks for the help.

Absolutely, you go to Turner's to buy, not ask questions. Good luck and report back with what you find and add a pic. (not one of those crappy cell phone pics either. :) )

BBB114
12-02-2011, 7:00 AM
Hey Dirt22, can I make a suggestion? I know you are itching to try the red dot, but why dont you mount the rear sight back on and go and shoot it with iron sights? Looks like you are off to a good start with the rifle, but I hate for guys to spend money on this and that when they are just testing things out and seeing what they like.

Once you are out on the range, you will for sure run into other AR enthusiasts who will gladly show you what they are running for optics etc. Kinda like a free show and tell! Then you can decide what you like and look into buying it without needing to buy a bunch of stuff you dont need.

I think you will find that iron sights work really well and with a little practice / instruction, you can outshoot alot of guys with optics.

I mandate my students use iron sights for a basic carbine class. After that, they can go crazy but at least they have the fundamentals down.

Nice jeep too!

Take care,
Boyan

nani
12-02-2011, 8:26 AM
shoot it with iron sights

This is what I'm going to do when my AR gets out of jail. People keep asking me, "what optics are you getting?" and I haven't even looked into optics yet, because I want to start out with the Magpul sights that come stock on the rifle first.

A friend's Stag has a red dot mounted way too low, and it's really difficult to shoot what you can't see.

Akers
12-02-2011, 8:31 AM
Your in Temec! Let me know if you ever want to go shooting! My buddy is a jeep guy (whatever club meets at the pizza place on sundays) and we have been looking for shooting buddies in the area.

Mamluke
12-02-2011, 8:57 AM
Ya, more like this...
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4567/dsc02003sb.jpg

That's one gnarly pics ... lol ...
I like the rifle too, simple but sinister looking ... :D

Took this one on the Beach ...

http://www.photo2pixel.com/TM4B.jpg

This Beach ... :D

http://www.photo2pixel.com/TM5.jpg

If I see ya out there, I'll howler .... :hurray:

FatalKitty
12-02-2011, 11:44 AM

no one is "clowning" on you, bro.

if you can't take a gentle ribbing maybe this forum isn't for you. we are nice guys but we aren't some airsoft forum where it's cool to slap useless **** on your firearm.

you want some suggestions, don't buy before you try (or at least research)
You've got a nice Jeep... I'm sure those parts on there all have a purpose and you didn't just walk into a PepBoys and buy those tires did you? The Optic is what you will use to kill ****... get a good one, or don't get one. :)

there are a TON of reviews, and threads and knowledgeable guys here, you don't need to be an AR expert to do it right the first time, you just need to know one... well at Calguns we have plenty :)

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 1:32 PM
That's one gnarly pics ... lol ...
I like the rifle too, simple but sinister looking ... :D

Took this one on the Beach ...

http://www.photo2pixel.com/TM4B.jpg

This Beach ... :D

http://www.photo2pixel.com/TM5.jpg

If I see ya out there, I'll howler .... :hurray:

Nice KTM man, That hill doesn't look too forgiving. I myself have a CRF450X. Electric starts for the old guys! I do most of my dirt bike riding out in Ocotillo Wells, but the jeeps take me everywhere else.

evidens83
12-02-2011, 1:38 PM
. we are nice guys but we aren't some airsoft forum where it's cool to slap useless **** on your firearm.

:)

Sure about that? ;)

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 1:40 PM
no one is "clowning" on you, bro.

if you can't take a gentle ribbing maybe this forum isn't for you. we are nice guys but we aren't some airsoft forum where it's cool to slap useless **** on your firearm.

you want some suggestions, don't buy before you try (or at least research)
You've got a nice Jeep... I'm sure those parts on there all have a purpose and you didn't just walk into a PepBoys and buy those tires did you? The Optic is what you will use to kill ****... get a good one, or don't get one. :)

there are a TON of reviews, and threads and knowledgeable guys here, you don't need to be an AR expert to do it right the first time, you just need to know one... well at Calguns we have plenty :)

Its all good man, I went down to Faith Armory today and talked to the "AR Guru" and he showed me tons of stuff, the right way to hold it, got me a riser, a 3 point sling and showed me the reasons that 3 points are preferred. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. He set the red dot on the riser then said when I get out there, take the red dot off, sight in the hard sights, then dial the red site in so it's right in line. Told me a ton of stuff that after it's explained makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty new to rifles, Most of my play money has been spent on dirt bikes, jeeps and Harley's. With the Zombie Apocalypse a year away, I figured it's best to get started on the defenses. :D

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 1:41 PM
Sure about that? ;)

Who the hell is he callin' nice?!?:reddevil:

FatalKitty
12-02-2011, 2:56 PM
Its all good man, I went down to Faith Armory today and talked to the "AR Guru" and he showed me tons of stuff, the right way to hold it, got me a riser, a 3 point sling and showed me the reasons that 3 points are preferred. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. He set the red dot on the riser then said when I get out there, take the red dot off, sight in the hard sights, then dial the red site in so it's right in line. Told me a ton of stuff that after it's explained makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty new to rifles, Most of my play money has been spent on dirt bikes, jeeps and Harley's. With the Zombie Apocalypse a year away, I figured it's best to get started on the defenses. :D

NICE!
if you want, you should take some carbine courses with it too!
if you're every up in NorCal we should shoot the crap out of that rifle

coyotebait
12-02-2011, 3:04 PM

How tall is the riser, half inch? Now buy a bunch of ammo. :D
Most here will tell you to stay away from steel cased ammo, i.e. Wolf, Tula, etc. I will too but for a different reason. I went to an outdoor shooting area a couple years ago and we got a little snow. No big deal except that my Wolf ammo got wet. I didn't realize that it did so a week later I unloaded my ammo and discovered that steel rusts.....who knew?:shrug:

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 9:42 PM
NICE!
if you want, you should take some carbine courses with it too!
if you're every up in NorCal we should shoot the crap out of that rifle

The "AR Guru" also teaches classes, First is the tactical pistol course, then the carbine, then you can take the dual course that teaches ya how to transition between the two. Sounded pretty fun and interesting, but the classes are $300 each! I know I could benefit from both though, and christmas is just around the corner...

Dirt22
12-02-2011, 9:45 PM
How tall is the riser, half inch? Now buy a bunch of ammo. :D
Most here will tell you to stay away from steel cased ammo, i.e. Wolf, Tula, etc. I will too but for a different reason. I went to an outdoor shooting area a couple years ago and we got a little snow. No big deal except that my Wolf ammo got wet. I didn't realize that it did so a week later I unloaded my ammo and discovered that steel rusts.....who knew?:shrug:

Ya, half inch riser, I'm going shooting tomorrow (got 1000 rounds of green tip on strippers) I'll try to get pictures if I remember.
Good call on the steel case ammo, I didn't think about the stuff rusting. I also got 1000 rounds for my 1911, so it should be a good long day.

coyotebait
12-03-2011, 6:02 AM
Ya, half inch riser, I'm going shooting tomorrow (got 1000 rounds of green tip on strippers) I'll try to get pictures if I remember.
Good call on the steel case ammo, I didn't think about the stuff rusting. I also got 1000 rounds for my 1911, so it should be a good long day.

Zombies beware. :83:

MrExel17
12-03-2011, 6:10 AM
COngrats!

Akers
12-03-2011, 2:08 PM
Your in my area so if you get serious into AR's there are better places. Faith is good, Nate is a good guy, The Shootist blows and in San Diego there is two... one is Parallax and the other is TDS (the Rocklin store is owned by a pirate 4x4 guy). Parallax has literally anything you would want for an E.B.R. and Joseph knows his stuff.

Dirt22
12-03-2011, 5:52 PM
pretty windy today, I pulled the red dot off and got the iron sites as close as I could get with the damn wind. I was hit and miss on a hard hat on a stick at about 100 yards.
I put about 400 rounds down range with the open sights, decided it wasnt gonna get any better today so I popped the red dot back on and played with it. Put another 100 rounds thru it useing the red dot and iron sights...

I think I want a scope.

What's available around $100-200?
What magnification should I be looking at?
What distances should I be shooting? 100 yards? 300? more?
Do they make a scope with a red dot built in?

FatalKitty
12-03-2011, 6:24 PM
Keep shooting with the irons, youll get it. Wind is not a factor at 100 yards.
Great Scope around $250 is the nikon m223

coyotebait
12-03-2011, 6:52 PM
I read on one of these forums that the way the 223 flies in combination with the way the sites are, if you site for 30 yards, you're good for 200. (or something like that)

Dirt22
12-03-2011, 7:25 PM
Ya, the guy at the shop said 25=300... still trying to wrap my head around that.

Dirt22
12-03-2011, 7:26 PM
Keep shooting with the irons, youll get it. Wind is not a factor at 100 yards.
Great Scope around $250 is the nikon m223

Going back out tomorrow, still got 600 rounds to spend.

FatalKitty
12-03-2011, 8:12 PM
Ya, the guy at the shop said 25=300... still trying to wrap my head around that.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/powder-keg/20158d1238567400-very-technical-m4-vs-m16-question-trajectory.jpg

coyotebait
12-03-2011, 8:53 PM
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/powder-keg/20158d1238567400-very-technical-m4-vs-m16-question-trajectory.jpg

Yep, that's it right there.

Ak707
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I like 50 yard zero. That's +or- 2" High/low from 0-250 yards

Dirt22
12-04-2011, 6:41 AM
What distance are these ARs good for? I was under the impression they're for 100-200 yards, but it seems they can reach out farther.

Is 600 yards too much to ask?

coyotebait
12-04-2011, 6:45 AM
You may be able to reach 600 yards, I just don't know how much energy the round will have at that distance.

Dirt22
12-04-2011, 8:08 AM
600 yards is a long way to walk to set up, take down and check targets too... (lazy, hah)

What power scopes should I be looking at?

Akers
12-04-2011, 9:18 AM
What distance are these ARs good for? I was under the impression they're for 100-200 yards, but it seems they can reach out farther.

600 is too much to ask with a standard 16 inch barrel rifle. Without making some modifications to your barrel and maybe trigger...and loading your own rounds to find the right "mixture". I don't care anyone or any article tells you about maximum effective range being 550-650 yards. Real world military experience tells me otherwise.

FatalKitty
12-04-2011, 9:58 AM

at sac shooting range there are often ARs out there shooting out to 1000 yards

now a 16 inch barrel is not IDEAL for accuracy/velocity at that range (you loose a little velocity with the shorter barrel compared to the 20inch on a standard A2) but 600 yards is not too much to ask for putting rounds on paper.
USMC qualifies at 500 yards - you CAN and WILL kill someone at that range with a round of 62 gr 5.56 M855
but since you're not in the military and just shooting targets... there is no problem there 600+ yards will be just fine.

Iron Sights and a 16inch barrel I consistently destroy soda cans at 400 yards (longest distance at my range). No scope is needed for that range.

bsg
12-04-2011, 10:17 AM
congratulations.

Akers
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Qualifying and killing are two different things.

If you get to 600 yards send pictures. I've seen 600 to 1000 done, but not By normal guns and not by normal guys.

Mamluke
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I consistently destroy soda cans at 400 yards (longest distance at my range)

Ah...they let you shoot soda can at the range ... :popcorn: ...
Where's that range, I'm IN... :D

FatalKitty
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Qualifying and killing are two different things.

If you get to 600 yards send pictures. I've seen 600 to 1000 done, but not By normal guns and not by normal guys.

Are you serious right now? do you seriously think that Dirt22 bought that rifle to kill someone?

get a clue - he's putting rounds on paper brotha... PAPER... paper dies easily...

coyotebait
12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Are you serious right now? do you seriously think that Dirt22 bought that rifle to kill someone?

get a clue - he's putting rounds on paper brotha... PAPER... paper dies easily...

Zombies, don't forget the zombies. :rolleyes:

Dirt22
12-04-2011, 11:25 AM

I mostly bought it to mount to the roll cage in my jeep and look cool.

Just kidding. I want a scope so that I don't have to walk after every clip to see where I'm hitting the target. I can see the paper but can't always tell how the group is.

So What power scopes should I be looking at? (I don't even know what all the numbers mean) I need to do a little homework and find a scopes for noobs site. I know how to line up the cross hairs and plink what I'm aiming at, but not realy how to site it in and change the distance and what not.

Mamluke
12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
So What power scopes should I be looking at?

At bare minimum, you'll need something like this:

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/media3/T2leftquarter.jpg

LOL...JK ... :hide: ...

FatalKitty
12-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Just kidding. I want a scope so that I don't have to walk after every clip to see where I'm hitting the target. I can see the paper but can't always tell how the group is.

So What power scopes should I be looking at? (I don't even know what all the numbers mean) I need to do a little homework and find a scopes for noobs site. I know how to line up the cross hairs and plink what I'm aiming at, but not realy how to site it in and change the distance and what not.

check out the Nikon M223

it's a very clear scope (nikon glass is amazing, and they make it themselves)
it is adjustable for power between 1 and 4x (4x means 4x magnification)
when it's at 1x it is a TRUE 1x... zero magnification and zero distortion so acts as a good red dot type scope for CQ
you can get them in a variety of different reticles from a BDC (bullet drop compensator for easy elevation adjustments out to 600 yards) to a simple dot
they are compact and amazing quality especially for the price

I use a cheap spotting scope I got at big 5 for $50.

that is my recomendation... in your research of the m223 you may find other scopes you like better, just do a google search for "Nikon M223 review"

coyotebait
12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
This is the right site to ask questions.
3-9x40 scope= 3 to 9 is the magnification available & 40 is the objective diameter in millimeters. The "objective" is the glass lens farthest away from your eye when mounted on the rifle.

Dirt22
12-04-2011, 1:27 PM
check out the Nikon M223

it's a very clear scope (nikon glass is amazing, and they make it themselves)
it is adjustable for power between 1 and 4x (4x means 4x magnification)
when it's at 1x it is a TRUE 1x... zero magnification and zero distortion so acts as a good red dot type scope for CQ
you can get them in a variety of different reticles from a BDC (bullet drop compensator for easy elevation adjustments out to 600 yards) to a simple dot
they are compact and amazing quality especially for the price

I use a cheap spotting scope I got at big 5 for $50.

that is my recomendation... in your research of the m223 you may find other scopes you like better, just do a google search for "Nikon M223 review"

I like that scope, You had said before that I could find one for around $250, but the only ones I've seen (didn't look too hard) were more like $450... I like the idea of a 1x magnification for snap shooting etc, but I also want to be able to plink stuff at 500 yards, and see where on the target I'm hitting. maybe I need a spotting scope too? - This **** is getting expencive. LOL!

Dirt22
12-04-2011, 1:32 PM
This is the right site to ask questions.
3-9x40 scope= 3 to 9 is the magnification available & 40 is the objective diameter in millimeters. The "objective" is the glass lens farthest away from your eye when mounted on the rifle.

That helps, Thanks. So I'm looking for something in the 1-4x?? range, right? Again, I like the idea of a red dot, so I don't always have to have a table to shoot off of. I wanna be able to move and shoot.

Thinking real world scenarios, I may not have a table, time to go prone, or a target willing to hold still while I get ready. Zombies move surprisingly fast at times.

roushstage2
12-04-2011, 1:38 PM
Nikon M223 for $265...http://www.amazon.com/NIKON-M-223-8485-1-4x20-Riflescope/dp/B003G5OJXU

Akers
12-04-2011, 2:40 PM
You said "USMC qualifies at 500 yards - you CAN and WILL kill someone at that range with a round of 62 gr 5.56 M855
but since you're not in the military and just shooting targets"

To which my response was killing and qaualifying are two diffent things. Military qualified at further distances to ensure accuracy at closer range. This I know from first hand experience.

Good luck with your thread, your getting bad and unrealistic advise from guys who more than likely don't shoot and spend their days answering posts.

A word of advise, more thread posts doesn't mean more intellectual.

FatalKitty
12-04-2011, 4:07 PM
You said "USMC qualifies at 500 yards - you CAN and WILL kill someone at that range with a round of 62 gr 5.56 M855
but since you're not in the military and just shooting targets"

To which my response was killing and qaualifying are two diffent things. Military qualified at further distances to ensure accuracy at closer range. This I know from first hand experience.

Good luck with your thread, your getting bad and unrealistic advise from guys who more than likely don't shoot and spend their days answering posts.

A word of advise, more thread posts doesn't mean more intellectual.

lol, another internet badass acting like he knows who I am. :rolleyes:

I tell you what ******* - you stand 800 meters from me and let me take a shot

Dirt22
12-04-2011, 9:02 PM
No worries Akers,
I've learned a long time ago about forum info.

I've been on forums for a very long time, from video games, to harley and jeep building forums, and now guns. there are a lot of people out there with alot of different opinions. I've learned that most people have something to share and I take it all in, figure out what works for me, and run with it.

Example; the optics that fatalkitty recomends, I've red many other reviews on it that say it's the hot ticket and may be what I'm looking for.

There's a gun show coming up in San Diego... I'm gonna go shopping there and see what's available.

hcbr
12-04-2011, 9:08 PM
nice congrats

6doubleR
12-04-2011, 9:52 PM
Congrats

coyotebait
12-05-2011, 4:45 AM
That helps, Thanks. So I'm looking for something in the 1-4x?? range, right? Again, I like the idea of a red dot, so I don't always have to have a table to shoot off of. I wanna be able to move and shoot.

Thinking real world scenarios, I may not have a table, time to go prone, or a target willing to hold still while I get ready. Zombies move surprisingly fast at times.

Well, you could....and this is where it starts to get expensive, run an Eotech or Aimpoint with a magnifier.

Dirt22
12-05-2011, 2:53 PM
How much does a magnifier "magnify?"

Lagduf
12-05-2011, 4:03 PM
How much does a magnifier "magnify?"

Depends on what the magnification factor is for the magnifier. Usually 3-4x but I think I've seen a 6x before (not really sure as I'm not interested in magnifiers for red dots)

Why don't you head on over to PRIMARY ARMS (http://www.primaryarms.com/) website and check out some of the PA scopes and red dots. They have clones of several popular styles of red dots. They have a Compact 3x scope somewhat similar to the ACOG. They have a 1-4x scope and a 3-9x scope. They have red dot sights similar to the Aimpoint Comp series and the Aimpoint Micro sights. You can also get the appropriate mount with these sights and scopes too.

Figure out what you want with something cheap and of decent quality, backed by a decent warranty. PA's stuff is made in China but PA is a good American company with great customer service. They stand behind their product.

When you figure out what you want you can sell the PA stuff (someone will buy it) and you can get something nicer.

Dirt22
12-05-2011, 4:32 PM
Depends on what the magnification factor is for the magnifier. Usually 3-4x but I think I've seen a 6x before (not really sure as I'm not interested in magnifiers for red dots)

Why don't you head on over to PRIMARY ARMS (http://www.primaryarms.com/) website and check out some of the PA scopes and red dots. They have clones of several popular styles of red dots. They have a Compact 3x scope somewhat similar to the ACOG. They have a 1-4x scope and a 3-9x scope. They have red dot sights similar to the Aimpoint Comp series and the Aimpoint Micro sights. You can also get the appropriate mount with these sights and scopes too.

Figure out what you want with something cheap and of decent quality, backed by a decent warranty. PA's stuff is made in China but PA is a good American company with great customer service. They stand behind their product.

When you figure out what you want you can sell the PA stuff (someone will buy it) and you can get something nicer.

I like the way you think, good advice, thanks!

carnelianbay
12-06-2011, 9:37 PM

I agree 100%.

Although I’m not a fan of clones, Primary Arms has the best stuff out there for the money if your budget doesn’t allow for an Aimpoint. Michael of PA has an excellent reputation of taking care of his customers too.

Check out his CompM3 with a 3X Mag on a Quarter turn mount set up. “Search” is your friend. Good Luck.