PDA

View Full Version : Few AK questions.

ts
02-28-2007, 9:05 PM
I have my CA legal AK from Atlantic Firearms and I am very pleased with it. How ever, if a bullet button for the AK comes out, I will be forced to buy another AK. Now my questions are these:

Will a bullet button work with a milled receiver?

Is there such thing as an AK underfold using a milled receiver?

aklover_91
02-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes and yes (of course there are under folding milled rifles; the underfolders have been around since the Type I's, which were actuallys stamped receivers and not milled, no one really knows way they went to a milled receiver for Types II and III), but expect to pay no less than $800 (good deal) for a milled underolder.

aklover_91
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
oh, and Vector and Arsenal make some damn nice milled underfolders.

NeoWeird
03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
As I understand it, Type I was originally stamped metal that was NOT heat treated. Rifles, especially under extended full auto use, failed after a short while. To combat this they went to the Type II that was milled. Once heat treating of the metal was adapted to the receivers, they were again reverted back to their cheap and easier stamped receivers for the AKM.

As for the bullet button, I believe all AKs, milled or stamped, use the same trigger guard/magazine release that is riveted to the bottom of either. So if the bullet button works with one, it will work for both. I don't know of any specific milled udnerfolders but I am sure they are out there. If not, it wouldn't be that hard to convert back and forth (as they say in the shop - "Nothing a little weld and a grinder can't fix").

FYI, someone already designed and built an AK bullet button mag release. I forget who, but it is here on Calguns somewhere.

Tweak338
03-01-2007, 12:39 AM
JJperl made one. he has it in the for sale section

ts
03-01-2007, 4:44 AM
That looks like a rough draft beta sort of project to me, no offense. If a really good reliable one comes out, I will be on top of it!