PDA

View Full Version : Gun in your GHB?

jmsenk
11-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Not trying to pry too much into anyone's OPSEC around here or anything, but I was wondering what the consensus might be on having a gun more or less perpetually in your GHB?

I've been in Cali a year now, and my CCW is all but a worthless piece of plastic that reminds me to visit my parents in Florida every now and then. Cali permits are apparently next to impossible (in OC or LA at least) to obtain and many of the laws seem to be so open to interpretation that I'm nervous to pack my weapons up just to go to the range.

in it's current incarnation, my GHB is a non-descript handbag type not much bigger than a Dopp kit, and I have considered including the .40 caliber that used to be my carry weapon and is now my bedside weapon along with it. This, of course, would mean carrying the bag into work with me in the mornings (no written company policies affecting this) and bringing it into the house at night (somewhat negating the purposes of having a GHB in my trunk in the first place) because I'd rather not leave a pistol in my trunk. would this be a kosher, and/or prudent move? of course I would keep the magazine out while in transit, and have a lock on the bag (nothing I have read says it has to be transported in a locked hard case, or am I missing something?) would I have to declare "Yes officer, I have a handgun in my trunk" if I get pulled over for speeding, etc?

If i'm in a situation where i might actually NEED my GHB, I'll probably need a pistol too, and it just feels weird being hamstrung by equivocating policies. I also come from the school of thought where if you carry a gun, you should always carry a gun, because if you don't, why even carry one in the first place? You won't see trouble coming when you wake up in the morning, and whats the point in being prepared if you're not ALWAYS prepared?

What do yall think? should it be part of my daily load out? Is it part of yours? what are some of the implications of this? I don't really want to nitpick this thing to death, or shoot it full of holes in "What if" scenarios, but do the risks and consequences outweigh the benifits?

Turo
12-01-2011, 12:27 AM
If the unloaded pistol is in a locked container (doesn't need to be hard sided, just needs to be sturdy enough that you can't operate the gun without opening the case) and you don't take it into places guns aren't legally allowed (federal buildings, school campuses, etc.) then you are perfectly legal to keep the gun in your GHB.

thenodnarb
12-01-2011, 1:28 AM
I agree that you can keep a legally transported gun in your car as part of your GHB kit. If its secure, you could leave it in your car at all times. I don't work or live in a place where theft is very common, so I keep a gun, legally stored of course, with my kit all times. It is locked in a hard case, and tethered to the vehicle in a way that prevents a smash and grab type attack. I hope to soon fortify it even further by keeping it locked in a hard case and tethered but also locked inside another security container which is inside the cab of the truck. If you did something like this in your truck, you could feel pretty confident that it wont be stolen(which is your primary concern I would assume). Make sure its a cheap, but also reliable weapon like a glock, XD, or beretta or whatever so that even if it is somehow stolen(or your vehicle is stolen) that you aren't too heart broken about loosing it.

I read a post on calguns recently where a guy had his BOB stolen and the thief made off with his glock, all his gear and over a grand in cash that he kept in his BOB. I think he made his mistake by always taking it in and out of his vehicle every day where people at work and his neighbors could see him doing it. The one day that he forgot or got lazy, it was stolen. If its in your trunk ALL the time, and securely stored within the truck, no one would be the wiser. Either that or you have to be completely anal retentive in keeping the bag and gun with you at all times, which isn't always possible(stopping at the grocery store on the way home for example).

The other solution is hiding it extremely well inside the vehicle/trunk. Being locked int he trunk itself satisfies the law, so if you hid it under the carpet it might be better than simply fortifying it, or might not. A friend of mine who was at one time a SWAT officer had to always have his ar-15(or m4 or whatever rifle he carried) with him at all times. His was bolted to the the bed of his vehicle(either a SUV or a truck with a shell). I imagine it was u-bolted through the body around the stock and handguard with a pad lock on each one.

If you have a CCW, I'm not sure why you can't carry it on your person pretty much all the time. As long as you don't carry in prohibited places(as mentioned earlier) you are exempt from school zones and other pitfalls the rest of us have to content with. Just carry ammo and magazine in your BOB, and keep it secured to your vehicle within the truck. REI and sports chalet carry a cable mesh pack security thing that wraps your entire pack in cable and can be secured by a pad lock to an anchored point in your vehicle. This would prevent your gear from being stolen, and also keeps people from easily getting into the bag as well. Most items couldn't be removed from within the bag due to the cable mesh/net.

Bottom line is don't let legal hoops prevent you form being prepared. Know the law, know you're rights. If a cop can see your weapon, or an obvious weapon bag, they have the right to inspect it to make sure it is being legally transported(unloaded). If they are just fishing, then just shut up. Now if you have a CCW, then they will know when they stop you. If they ask if you have your weapon, you can't lie, but you probably won't be in any trouble as long as your CCW doesn't have any work-only restrictions. But I am not a lawyer. Do the research on your own. calguns is a great resource for that, especially the 2nd ammentment related board.

mej16489
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, I keep locked & unload firearms in every vehicle, but I don't keep them (nor cash) directly in each vehicles GHB. They are kept in compartments that a buddy of mine custom fabricated for each car. The total volume of the compartments are roughly 72 cubic inches...Experienced Border Patrol agents would have trouble finding them.

So, barring failed OPSEC, I feel secure that they can't be stolen.

jyo
12-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, cars are broken into regularly---my car supplies don't contain a firearm. Things in there could be used as a weapon (Glock knife, axe, road flare etc.)---just stuff that would make my life better for having them. Now the bag I keep at home does contain an HK USPf 9mm and a holster plus three extra pre-ban mags. My bedside pistol is another of the same, so it also goes with me if I have to exit. I suppose if you had an older, inexpensive S&W Model 10 .38 Police "turn in" gun with low value, that might make a difference.

jyo
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, cars are broken into regularly---my car supplies don't contain a firearm. Things in there could be used as a weapon (Glock knife, axe, road flare etc.)---just stuff that would make my life better for having them. Now the bag I keep at home does contain an HK USPf 9mm and a holster plus three extra pre-ban mags. My bedside pistol is another of the same, so it also goes with me if I have to exit. I suppose if you had an older, inexpensive S&W Model 10 .38 Police "turn in" gun with low value, that might make a difference.

emc002
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Springfield M6 with 50 rounds of .410 and 200 rounds of .22LR in the GHB.
Whatever I'm carrying regularly that day on my person.

12-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a GHB thats also kind of my EDC.
I have basic items in a 5.11 bag. Pistol is holstered and locked up in the main compartment along with 100 rounds and 3 mags. (No rounds in magazines)
It is also my bedside gun.
When I leave the house for anything, the bag goes with me and stays locked in the trunk until I get home that night.
I agree that if you end up needing your GHB you may want a pistol also.

IrishPirate
12-01-2011, 1:22 PM
If a cop can see your weapon, or an obvious weapon bag, they have the right to inspect it to make sure it is being legally transported(unloaded). If they are just fishing, then just shut up. Now if you have a CCW, then they will know when they stop you. If they ask if you have your weapon, you can't lie, but you probably won't be in any trouble as long as your CCW doesn't have any work-only restrictions. But I am not a lawyer. Do the research on your own. calguns is a great resource for that, especially the 2nd ammentment related board.

just seeing a range bag in a car does not give them the right to search your property. They have to have probable cause to search and they can't get that by seeing a bag or a locked case. If they see the case and say they need to check and make sure you're transporting it legally, you tell them to get a warrant, and call your lawyer.

also, i've never heard of cops being able to find out you have a CCW when they pull you over. There isn't anything flagged on your drivers license that alerts them to my knowledge. So unless you tell them you have one, chances are they aren't going to know. Now, if they see gun stuff and ask if you have a CCW and you do, you should probably say yes. If they ask if you're carrying and you are...you should probably say yes. Nothing in that part of the conversation would get you in trouble in court. He asked valid questions, you gave valid answers. What happens afterward will depend on the cop, and how you react to their instructions. My crystal ball is in the shop so i can't be sure how that would actually go...

as far as having a gun in your GHB, it's probably better to have one on you if you have a CCW and it wouldn't interfere with your work. That just leaves less chance of it being stolen. But since that's usually not a realistic option then a trunk gun is your best bet. leave it in the car when you're at work and take it inside when you get home if you dont have a garage and you're worried about theft. BUT, be sure it's not conspicuous!! if people see you toting a gun case in and out of your car they might try to steal your car. A gym bag or a cardboard box for paper filing would hide a locked container and not arouse suspicion.

the only down sides to having a dedicated trunk gun is if your car gets stolen, so does your gun, and if you get in an accident, well on top of that nightmare you never know what's going to happen to the gun when the cops show up, when the car gets towed, etc.

trunk guns or GHB guns should be cheap but RELIABLE!!! a police trade in GLOCK would be a great option. You can get a G22 for $350 at most blue label GLOCK dealers. Used XD's are a good option too. And don't neglect to train with it either. Dont just buy something and stick it in the trunk. You want to be sure that when the time comes, you know how to use your equipment!! (that's what she said)

ExAcHog
12-01-2011, 1:27 PM
I pretty much think any GHB that doesn't include a firearm is a half step above useless.

My GHB has a Rossi combo breadown rifle in .22lr/.410ga/243win inside it and I keep a handgun in a locked container also. The handgun is also locked to, and under, my rear truck seat. So it would be a real oprah to get it out to steal.

tintguy
12-01-2011, 1:37 PM
Yes, I keep locked & unload firearms in every vehicle, but I don't keep them (nor cash) directly in each vehicles GHB. They are kept in compartments that a buddy of mine custom fabricated for each car. The total volume of the compartments are roughly 72 cubic inches...Experienced Border Patrol agents would have trouble finding them.

So, barring failed OPSEC, I feel secure that they can't be stolen.

Is this legal? I've been thinking of something like this. My thought is a secret compartment in the trunk would be legal. How about a compartment in the passenger area? Would a button or series of button presses to open equal a lock? My other area of concern is it being called a "utility compartment" like how the center console is.

thenodnarb
12-01-2011, 1:53 PM
just seeing a range bag in a car does not give them the right to search your property. They have to have probable cause to search and they can't get that by seeing a bag or a locked case. If they see the case and say they need to check and make sure you're transporting it legally, you tell them to get a warrant, and call your lawyer.

also, i've never heard of cops being able to find out you have a CCW when they pull you over.

Good to know!