PDA

View Full Version : Normal hammer wear for an AR15?

LiberalEater
11-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I just put in a brand new FailZero bolt carrier group last night. Its by far the best modification or upgrade to my platform and would highly recommend it. After I put it in my AR 15 I did a few dry-fires(less than 10). The gun has not actually been shot yet with new FZ BCG or hammer. When I removed the upper receiver I noticed the hammer from FailZero had dents on the face. Is this normal wear?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/paintballer4life06/photo-19.jpg

p.s. Also this roll pin is not flush with the bolt head body and is sticking out. Should this pin be punched in any further?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/paintballer4life06/rollpin1.jpg

nrakid88
11-30-2011, 11:13 PM
From ten dry firings?

I would say HELL NO... but then again I have a EDM cut Geisselle trigger, which is supposed to last forever?

I don't really know how the cheaper hammers hold up, but that seems bad for ten clicks.

4D5auto
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I had one that was just worn, obviously it was cheap and not surface hardened.

Army
12-01-2011, 6:45 AM
No worry. When dry firing, the firing pin will go all the way forward under hammer pressure. The hammer is hitting it with zero cushioning, as there would be with a chambered round (pin against the primer).

Shooting will tell if the hammer was not properly hardened. They're cheap if needed to be replaced.

LiberalEater
12-01-2011, 5:08 PM
It just looks a little soft. Fail zero said "What you are seeing with your hammer is normal."

Poppy83
12-01-2011, 5:46 PM
Don't know. Buy a Geissele.

tomd1584
12-01-2011, 6:14 PM
Its by far the best modification or upgrade to my platform and would highly recommend it. After I put it in my AR 15 I did a few dry-fires(less than 10). The gun has not actually been shot yet with new FZ BCG or hammer.

How can you highly recommend it, if you haven't even fired it? Because it looks pretty?

Put some rounds down range, (like 800) then come back and give us your recommendation.

Statements like this drive me crazy.

LiberalEater
12-01-2011, 6:38 PM
I'm sure it's going to fire like any other "mil spec" bolt would..The quality of the bolt carrier, staking, craftsmenship and nickle coating I was referring too but I get your point. More like 800 rounds x2 to find that out. I still have to confirm as to it's reliability as I put some rounds down range.