PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going to the 12/10 in Coarsegold, bring my 9 year old

peterabbits
11-30-2011, 10:30 PM
My son has been shooting now for 2 years and has the primary safety fundamentals down, and I think the history and instruction would be fun, inspirational, and worthwhile for both of us. Here's the question - we have a grand total of 3 .22's, and while I intend to bring all three, which do you think we should consider our "primary" rifles for the event? I have a 10/22 from the 80's, no barrel band, but no sling swivel studs yet either, with tech sights. My son has a youth sized savage mark II, bolt action with a 4x scope and only 1 10 rd mag, and we just recently got a marlin 60, open sights, tube fed, and no sling (yet). I'm leaning towards the Ruger and the marlin, but the savage is a nice accurate little gun in it's own right. What say the masses?

foesgth
12-01-2011, 8:29 AM
To shoot a "proper" AQT to get a rifleman patch requires a second magazine. With a tube magazine your need to load 11 and eject one to simulate the mag change. As to what you need. Any of your rifles will do fine. A sling is very important to get full value from the instruction. Don't fret over equipment. The single most important bit of gear for an Appleseed is a good attitude. You and your son will have a great time no matter what you take to shoot. Try not to focus too much on the Rifleman patch with your son. Just let him work on fundamentals with the instructors. The patch will come with time if you two work with the tools you are given.
You should get a ROC from the shoot boss. Then you two can return and shoot again without paying. Please give us an update about your shoot!

Rock6.3
12-01-2011, 9:59 AM
2 magazines is a must.
Front sling stud and 1.25" swivel is a must if you want to take advantage of the techniques that are taught at Appleseed.
Ruger or Savage does not matter so long as it is a reliable rifle that is of a physical size such that the youth can handle it in all three positions.

peterabbits
12-01-2011, 6:54 PM
Thanks guys. I ordered extra mags last night, and 2 cotton slings from the CMP as well - hopefully they will arrive in time.

SilentPea
12-02-2011, 1:06 PM
You absolutely want a sling stud on the front of your 10/22, You can rig an attachment point with zip ties, but that is really a last ditch effort.

The savage should be good to go with one or two additional magazines.Just remember work the bolt smoothly and don't get flustered. The fact that the savage is youth-stocked implies to me that it fits your son better than an adult rifle... to me, fit is MUCH more important than the speed advantage of semi-auto.

Personally I would recommend the savage and ruger as your primary two, and if your son has trouble with the savage -- try to borrow an LTR from one of the instructors. We usually have at least 4 loaner rifles between the 3-5 instructors at my local events.

I just picked up shooting a year ago and the Appleseed program is what started me off. I shot rifleman at my 2.5th AS, and just started training to become an instructor.

Good luck, and have fun learning!

peterabbits
12-09-2011, 9:25 PM
Well unfortunately the slings never arrived from the CMP, and in all my running around this week I could not locate sling studs locally - so I guess for this trip we're going slingless. I'm not worried about a score this time around, this trip is really all about my son. As mentioned above, hopefully I'll be able to get an ROC card and do things up right the next time around. Wish us luck!

KillerRabbit
12-10-2011, 3:19 AM
Peter,
If you had said something sooner I would have loaned you a couple of slings for the weekend. Let me know how things go this weekend.
Dirk

peterabbits
12-11-2011, 3:11 PM
Thank you Dirk, I appreciate that. I didn't even have the swivel studs on my rifle though so i didn't think picking up just the sling would do any good. Things went well, they had some loaner slings and used zip ties to mount to the front of the rifle for me. My son did very well following the rules and was really appreciative of us going, and actually did remember some of the historical stuff we went over when i quizzed him this morning. Even though he got a hot casing to the belly he still managed to follow the safety rules, earning the respect of all of us for his handling of the situation. he also struggled through using the tube fed rifle (his choice, even after asking him if he wanted to to a mag fed or his own bolt action), and by the end of the day was safely loading, shooting, and clearing and making safe the rifle on his own with no instruction. All in all it was a positive experience, and he said he does want to do it again, and the next time he wants to go for the whole weekend. a big thank you to IronPete and Justin (forgot his calguns alias) who were the shoot boss and instructors for the day, along with Dennis, who was the local guy in training. We look forward to doing this another weekend soon!

ironpete
12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey Peter,

Your son made quite the impression on all of us. Justin wished he could have recorded those sound-bites from him!

Below is the link to our After Action Report. I'm glad you posted since I forgot your forum name. I did this report before seeing this thread. You should be very proud of your son...good job on your part Peter!

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26712.0

-Peter