PDA

View Full Version : Found dad's old rifles

ar15bassplayer
11-30-2011, 4:45 PM
When my father passed away over 20 years ago, we packed up his belongings and placed some of it in storage, and some stuff ended up at my sibling's house. Just recently, we opened up one of the boxes, and it contained a couple of rifles - a Ruger Mini-14 (series 181), and a Remington 552, along with a few high-cap mags for the Ruger. As far as I know, my dad bought these at a sporting goods store sometime in the late 1970's.

http://teknostryke.com/images/post/IMAG0597-1.jpg

My question is this: what do I need to do, if anything, to make these guns legal?

Thanks in advance.

MrPlink
11-30-2011, 4:49 PM
Hmmm the hi cap thing is interesting, does this count as finding them? Experts?

reidnez
11-30-2011, 4:50 PM
I'd take a look at the muzzle on that Mini, make sure it's not considered a flash hider. Other than that, shouldn't be any compliance issues if they're both stock weapons.

WRT the magazines, that's an interesting question. I'm not sure how inheritance is treated by the law. In any case, it is not a crime to possess them nor use them in a featureless weapon. It's not something I'd worry about.

Sinestr
11-30-2011, 4:52 PM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

ojisan
11-30-2011, 5:12 PM
In regards to the over-10-round mags, in CA they cannot be passed down or transferred to anyone else.

Check this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

MrPlink
11-30-2011, 5:19 PM
Yes, but the question for the legal eagles is does this count as being passed down or transfered?

bill_k_lopez
11-30-2011, 5:32 PM
In regards to the over-10-round mags, in CA they cannot be passed down or transferred to anyone else.

Check this thread:

Where did you find that?

Librarians post says:

California restricts certain things about magazines greater than 10 rounds; it has created a silly legal name for them - "large-capacity magazines" - and says we 'regular people' cannot import, sell or manufacture them. ("Dealer" FFLs may get licenses from DOJ for these activities; curio and relic licensees cannot.) The restriction applies to both centerfire and rimfire weapons.

So if dad's old rifles had them - how does that fall under importing, sales or manufacturing?

tileguy
11-30-2011, 5:34 PM
i might be wrong but the way i see it, if your dad past away more than 20 years ago and those belongings were given to you then prior to 1991 when ffls were needed to transfer firearms you actualy owned the firearms. prior to the law of ffl transfer and you owned the mags many years prior to the magazine law of 2000 so i believe you are fine. no need to register anything and the mags are fine also

straykiller
11-30-2011, 5:37 PM
i might be wrong but the way i see it, if your dad past away more than 20 years ago and those belongings were given to you then prior to 1991 when ffls were needed to transfer firearms you actualy owned the firearms. prior to the law of ffl transfer and you owned the mags many years prior to the magazine law of 2000 so i believe you are fine. no need to register anything and the mags are fine also

this seems very logical i think you might be right

buffybuster
11-30-2011, 5:40 PM

That's the way I see it too.

tileguy
11-30-2011, 5:41 PM
i believe so because the firearms and mags and other personal property were given to him prior to 1991 so no ffl was needed and he actually owned the mags prior to 2000.

jl123
11-30-2011, 5:42 PM
It sounds like the OP took possession of the magazines upon his father passing. HE just lost them in storage for a bit. You should be ok on those it sounds like.

lorax3
11-30-2011, 5:47 PM
When your father passed away he could unfortunately no longer own material things. His belongings were passed onto his heirs.

Sounds like you have a bunch of stuff passed onto to you by your father, but never looked in the boxes. If you were the heir, those items were yours regardless of you not taking inventory of the box.

So long as the large-capacity magazines were given to you prior to January 1st, 2000, I see no issues.

akjunkie
11-30-2011, 5:54 PM

Check this thread:

His dad passed away 20yrs ago. That makes it 1991.

The OP inherited his dad's Hi Caps back in 1991. He LEGALLY OWNS THEM.

ojisan
11-30-2011, 5:57 PM
Where did you find that?

Librarians post says:

California restricts certain things about magazines greater than 10 rounds; it has created a silly legal name for them - "large-capacity magazines" - and says we 'regular people' cannot import, sell or manufacture them. ("Dealer" FFLs may get licenses from DOJ for these activities; curio and relic licensees cannot.) The restriction applies to both centerfire and rimfire weapons.

So if dad's old rifles had them - how does that fall under importing, sales or manufacturing?

(My wife said "Dinner is ready" while I was working on the reply so I didn't finish or do such a great job on that post. But I was hungry....)

The thread is by Librarian and is a sticky in the handguns forum.
It does not cover everything, though.
Perhaps a dedicated sticky thread on this inheritance situation is a good idea as this topic comes up fairly often.
Generically the over 10 round mags are the same as a RAW...no hand downs.
However, I had not considered the time line in the OP's case so I will blame my poor post on being hurried and weak with hunger.
:o

TheExpertish
11-30-2011, 5:58 PM
His dad passed away 20yrs ago. That makes it 1991.

The OP inherited his dad's Hi Caps back in 1991. He LEGALLY OWNS THEM.
I concur.

Congrats on your new toys. Bet you're kicking yourself for not looking in that box sooner.

Librarian
11-30-2011, 8:06 PM
When your father passed away he could unfortunately no longer own material things. His belongings were passed onto his heirs.

Sounds like you have a bunch of stuff passed onto to you by your father, but never looked in the boxes. If you were the heir, those items were yours regardless of you not taking inventory of the box.

So long as the large-capacity magazines were given to you prior to January 1st, 2000, I see no issues.

This looks right. Enjoy your inheritance.

ar15bassplayer
11-30-2011, 9:08 PM
Thanks for all your replies! It was definitely a big surprise finding these rifles.

Is there anything in the CA law books that says I have to keep it original? e.g., can I change the stock to something like a Butler Creek Pistol Grip Folding Stock?

xxINKxx
11-30-2011, 9:14 PM
Youd need a mag lock if you added a pistol grip, 10 round mag, and keep it within legal OAL

lorax3
11-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your replies! It was definitely a big surprise finding these rifles.

Is there anything in the CA law books that says I have to keep it original? e.g., can I change the stock to something like a Butler Creek Pistol Grip Folding Stock?

Follow the rifle flowchart

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

nixorz
12-01-2011, 8:22 AM
pictures?

hnoppenberger
12-01-2011, 9:27 AM
You possess standard cap mags (that were made 20+ years ago), is that what im reading? looks all legal to me.

ar15bassplayer
12-01-2011, 1:04 PM
added a pic. keeping it stock!

InGrAM
12-01-2011, 1:39 PM
That is a nice Fender jazz bass from what I can see ;). I have a custom jazz with the same neck.

Untamed1972
12-01-2011, 1:46 PM
Hmmm the hi cap thing is interesting, does this count as finding them? Experts?

Dad died 20yrs ago before the ban......I would say the OP inherited them 20yrs ago. Forgetting that he had them does not change the fact that they've been posessed for over 20yrs....ie pre-ban.

tehbigjoe
12-01-2011, 2:07 PM
from the look of it, im a amateur and may be wrong. Both seem to be legal

people might be worried about the high cap mag in the mini 14 but i see no evil features on the mini 14. and if these guns have been lieing around before the bans were made im 100% positive that clip is PRE BAN.

tehbigjoe
12-01-2011, 2:11 PM

Check this thread:

how are they goign to know that it was "passed down"

TurboChrisB
12-01-2011, 3:07 PM
VERY cool! Time to make a toast to Dad and go shooting!

NYY
12-01-2011, 6:07 PM
i might be wrong but the way i see it, if your dad past away more than 20 years ago and those belongings were given to you then prior to 1991 (who could prove that???) when ffls were needed to transfer firearms you actualy owned the firearms. prior to the law of ffl transfer and you owned the mags many years prior to the magazine law of 2000 so i believe you are fine. no need to register anything and the mags are fine also

hint hint, even if that isnt true, do it anyways..?? thats what i feel is going to happen. unless it really DID happen that way..

other than that... i love that mini!!!! i thought it was a 10-22 hahh.. :/