PDA

View Full Version : M1A experts please chime in, need assistance on Socom II cycling issue

mp0wer2384
11-30-2011, 5:07 PM
I recently acquire a Socom II, without shooting it I upgrade the following parts:

1) SEI Good iron socom 16 kit
2) Sadlak guide rod
3) Sadlak guide rod spring
4) SEI trigger kit
5) SEI extended bolt release M14
6) Tritium bar combat sight
7) A.R.M.S mount
8) U.S optic

Today, during my range trip the ammo is not cycling properly (PMC, not reload) every shot was a single.... and yes I had 5 magazines and they were all CMI/SA mags. I used the same ammo on my loaded.. ZERO problem.

Any advice would be appreciated!

P.S: I did notice when the ammo ejects from the Socom II it doesn't fly off like the loaded would, and 5% of the time it gets caught up between the receiver :(

Omega13device
11-30-2011, 5:19 PM
A few things I can think of:

- Gas plug loose?
- Gas port closed or partially closed?
- Piston not moving freely?

You may already know this but you can test the piston movement by pointing it down, locking the bolt back, and then pointing it up. You should hear the piston slide back within the gas cylinder.

mp0wer2384
11-30-2011, 6:17 PM
Thanks! I didn't know that,I just check the piston, it is not moving freely, took the gas port off, put the piston back, now is moving freely, i'll try it out this weekend at the range, and cross my finger.

level 10
11-30-2011, 6:46 PM
could be the gas port closed part way easy to check

mp0wer2384
11-30-2011, 9:36 PM
could be the gas port closed part way easy to check

I check that already, the gas port is on the same position as my loaded, I am pretty confident now that it was the piston, when I install the sei front end I probably just drop it in but didn't match the slot.

xxINKxx
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Socom version m1a's have a history of not cycling right because Springfield changed the gas tube/system design so it's not gased properly. When I was searching what m1a to buy I saw tons of posts like this as well as gun shop employees mentioning it as well.

cmace22
11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
One thing I learned from my drag racing days was to only change one thing at a time. This allows you to trace gains and losses. Changing several things at once will leave you scratching your head when a problem arises.

I would suggest restoring your rifle to factory and try it again.

mp0wer2384
11-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Yea, inpulse purchase you could say, I will restore the internals if it didn't resolve my problem, and likely will just send it to fulton arm and have them service it, and make it more reliable.

P.s: the loaded was such a pleasure to shoot, loving it!

17+1
12-01-2011, 6:58 AM
Do you have the drill bits to cut the carbon out of the piston and gas plug? PM KenDog4570; he takes screw driver handles and puts the proper size bits in them. Prices are reasonable and he's local. Watch out though, SAI factory gas plug and GI gas plug are like .005" difference in ID. Enough for the carbon scrapers to not work.

Use those and properly clean the rifle first. Lock the bolt back when done and do a tilt test. You should be able to hear the piston sliding back and forth freely when holding the rifle 45 degrees muzzle up or down.

Also, I'd try some actual NATO ammo rather than PMC commercial. I only run NATO 7.62 or my reloads and never have issues. :cool:

thai562
12-01-2011, 8:00 AM
The only upgrades that might cause this problem (assuming the rifle works before you upgraded) are the Sadlak rod and spring. You can try to change those back.

mp0wer2384
12-01-2011, 2:28 PM
Do you have the drill bits to cut the carbon out of the piston and gas plug? PM KenDog4570; he takes screw driver handles and puts the proper size bits in them. Prices are reasonable and he's local. Watch out though, SAI factory gas plug and GI gas plug are like .005" difference in ID. Enough for the carbon scrapers to not work.

Use those and properly clean the rifle first. Lock the bolt back when done and do a tilt test. You should be able to hear the piston sliding back and forth freely when holding the rifle 45 degrees muzzle up or down.

Also, I'd try some actual NATO ammo rather than PMC commercial. I only run NATO 7.62 or my reloads and never have issues. :cool:

Yes I have the gas plug scrap tool from Sadlak, do you have a link for the ammo you are referring.

mp0wer2384
12-01-2011, 2:29 PM
The only upgrades that might cause this problem (assuming the rifle works before you upgraded) are the Sadlak rod and spring. You can try to change those back.

Thats what i was thinking as well if the piston didn't solve my problem

30Cal
12-01-2011, 5:15 PM
You didn't say what the nature of the problem was. Extracting, loading; some information would be good.

mp0wer2384
12-01-2011, 5:18 PM
The ammo is not cycling the 2nd 3rd etc round , there is no problem on extracting.