PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Defense Rifles

rorschach
02-28-2007, 6:39 PM
(Taken from HKpro)

Officially they are now called, "Homeland Defense Rifles" That other term
(Assault Weapon) is not to be used anymore.

We are now setting the standard, instead of the anti-gunners telling us
what the standard is.

Now if you try to ban them, you are against Homeland Security.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55331

grammaton76
02-28-2007, 6:41 PM
I like the concept, but it's not as short. Remember, if it doesn't roll off the tongue, it won't get traction...

soopafly
02-28-2007, 6:41 PM
nice...

JPN6336
02-28-2007, 7:21 PM
I like the concept, but it's not as short. Remember, if it doesn't roll off the tongue, it won't get traction...

Just refer to it as an HDR. It also makes a great lead in for expressing to the uniformed our views on the topic as opposed to the media viewpoint that they've been spoonfed for years.

"Is that an assault weapon?"

"Nope, it's an HDR."

"What's an HDR?"

"Well, let me tell you about it."

SemiAutoSam
02-28-2007, 7:32 PM
I spread the word about this on the massachusetts gun board and the Canadian gun board.

Did anyone hit up war rifles or THR ?

I don't have accounts there any more

Fal files would be a good place to announce this as well.

MrTuffPaws
02-28-2007, 7:55 PM
Wow, the stupidity of the phrases "Assault Weapon" and "Homeland Defense Weapon" stuns me. They are semi-automatic rifles. Calling them anything else is just stupid and playing into the hands of the anti-gun crowd

taloft
02-28-2007, 8:14 PM
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but, that isn't a new idea. This made the rounds back in 02' when calguns was first founded by Ramon. I'm sure some of the other senior members remember it. I'm not sure if it was "Homeland Defense Weapon" Or "California Defense Rifle". I just remember that we didn't want to call them "Assualt Weapons". Just a rehashing of an old idea. I just call them Rifles.;)

gn3hz3ku1*
02-28-2007, 9:39 PM
(Taken from HKpro)

Now if you try to ban them, you are against Homeland Security.

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55331

we all know if you are against homeland security you are pro OBL :mad:

artherd
02-28-2007, 9:52 PM
I've always had a fondness for my "Assault Prevention Rifles"

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 6:56 AM
Here are a few of my additions to this spreading this disease

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139332#post1261398

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17097

rick1881
03-01-2007, 7:51 AM
How about PDR...Personal Defence Rifle...or TDR...Threat Deterrent Rifle

Paratus et Vigilans
03-01-2007, 8:08 AM
Why not just call them "service rifles" like the NRA and CMP do?

No negative connotations for the word "service" are there?

This links the modern black rifles to their revered ancestors, the M-1 Garand and M1-A/M-14, which don't seem to scare people as much as black rifles, and perhaps that mental linking might lessen in someone's mind the "evilness" of the black rifle.

And if you've got it all tricked out, then call it a "modified service rifle."

If you've got an AK, then it's a "foreign service rifle"! :)

Also, if you get involved in a more detailed discussion because of that answer, then you get to go on and explain how the U.S. Government established the CMP - the Civilian Marksmanship Program - so we, the people, would have the skills and tools as civilian riflemen to defend the homeland if necessary - you can even throw in "from all enemies, foreign and domestic" if you're feeling particularly patriotic.

It's simple, it's the truth, and if the simple truth won't fly, then some kind of euphamism ain't gonna fly either. IMHO.

AxonGap
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
HDR? I Love it!

This was great too!:D

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SNOWPLOW
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/Governmentsnowplow.gif

Prc329
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I like service rifle. Very simple, short and to the point.

pnkssbtz
03-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I like the Homeland Defense Rifle because you can do EXACTLY what the gun grabbers do to us right back.

They pull the "think of the children" card, and we meet and raise them the "Homeland Defense" card...

JPN6336
03-01-2007, 3:36 PM
As much as service rifle or semiautomatic rifle are the proper and accurate names and seem sensible to us, the HDR is more about countering the anti-gunners evil sounding names in their emotional appeals. If we were able to educate everyone on the difference between semiautomatic rifles that look evil and the machine guns that the liberals show on the news when they talk about assault rifles, many of the naming wars would be unnecessary. Also service rifle partially plays into the anti's "military style weapons" ploys. It is sad that we have to resort to creative naming and cannot use proper names for our firearms in order to blunt the attack of those that would take away the constitutional rights that we already have.

Okami
03-01-2007, 3:44 PM
we all know if you are against homeland security you are pro OBL :mad:

Lmao!:p
Thanks Bud!

~Okami

Technical Ted
03-01-2007, 3:52 PM
As much as service rifle or semiautomatic rifle are the proper and accurate names and seem sensible to us, the HDR is more about countering the anti-gunners evil sounding names in their emotional appeals.
So, you're advocating Political Correctness.

FWIW The goal to change perceptions to "Homeland Defense Rifle" has been around since G W Bush first started using the phrase homeland defense after 9/11. IIRC It started on Arfcom and died out soon after.

Five years have passed and it still hasn't stuck.

When I first heard the term "Homeland Defense Rifle" an image from the movie 1941 popped into my head for some reason: the two Civil Defense guys sitting at the top of the ferris wheel on the pier.

Another bit of history: between 1994 when the Federal AWB went into effect and 2004 when it sunset, there was a small group trying to get people to call them "Sport Utility Rifles".

That didn't stick either, but it sounds a lot better.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
03-01-2007, 4:23 PM
Wow, the stupidity of the phrases "Assault Weapon" and "Homeland Defense Weapon" stuns me. They are semi-automatic rifles. Calling them anything else is just stupid and playing into the hands of the anti-gun crowd

Agreed, but people who don't know anything about guns think a semi-automatic rifle is a "machine gun." I remember (it was either Simpsons or Family Guy) somebody was running around with some nutty rifle-thing that was like... a pump-action, break-open full-auto AK. Seriously.

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 4:44 PM
OH you meant the two guys on top of this.
http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/ww2/1941/1941-i.jpg

Capt Wild Bill Kelso.
http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/ww2/1941/1941-g.jpg

Dan Akroyd by the tank
http://members.fortunecity.com/delanay/1941_9.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/delanay/1941_4.jpg

I did some special effects work on this film and met John Belushi. that was many years ago 27 or 28. The tank that was used was a

FWIW The goal to change perceptions to "Homeland Defense Rifle" has been around since G W Bush first started using the phrase homeland defense after 9/11. IIRC It started on Arfcom and died out soon after.

Five years have passed and it still hasn't stuck.

When I first heard the term "Homeland Defense Rifle" an image from the movie 1941 popped into my head for some reason: the two Civil Defense guys sitting at the top of the ferris wheel on the pier.

Another bit of history: between 1994 when the Federal AWB went into effect and 2004 when it sunset, there was a small group trying to get people to call them "Sport Utility Rifles".

That didn't stick either, but it sounds a lot better.

JPN6336
03-01-2007, 5:02 PM

I guess it could be perceived that way but I think of it more as political savvyness. We, responsible and intelligent gun owners, know the facts about gun ownership and semi-automatic service rifles. The general public doesn't know and in most cases don't want to take the time to learn. Many of them don't have access to a person with real firearms knowledge. Sadly they can't even trust what comes from the mouths of many gun store employees. Without any other form of knowledge, they must rely on the misinformation that comes from most forms of media. I think we've all noticed that media sources like newspapers and television news often quote individuals from the Brady Center as their firearms experts. These Brady Center "experts" use phrases like "assault weapon" linked to their arguments in an attempt to appeal to the emotions of the masses. Logically explaining the truth regarding "assault weapons" does not effectively counter the emotional appeals. People would rather feel than think. By using positive names like "Homeland Defense Rifle", I believe, would be more effective in combating "Assault Weapon" regulation that using the emotionally neutral proper technical names for the rifles. Personally I'd rather call it a "Criminal, Terrorist, and Aggressive Animal Killer" rifle but then I'd seem like some kind of crazy gun nut.

BoilermakerJim
03-01-2007, 5:33 PM
I may be a junior, junior, junior member here, but I'd be a senior in a marketing or branding forum. ;-)

That said, if the objective is to disassociate what we do with the connotations of the word “assault,” then the alternative has to be simple, make common sense and be memorable. Oh, and also, the new phrase should not bring with it other associations / connotations that may be, right or wrong, also viewed negatively by the general public. "Homeland Defense" to me says "militia" and while I personally don't have a problem with that word, the public pretty much equates militia with the same things they don’t like about “assault rifles”. “Sport Utility Rifle” isn’t bad, but it’s too long and seems coy.

My marketing $.02 would support “Sport Rifle”. Sport describes what we do. “SR-15” is a perfect replacement for “AR-15”. Memorable. Simple. Makes common sense.

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 5:47 PM
But remember how we slammed Zumbo against the wall for talking about the 2nd A and then we said the sporting purpose doesn't matter.

Sport utility rifle makes it sound like we are saying see it has a sporting purpose. and that is the last thing I want to say when I hang a moniker on my rifle's I think of owning a rifle is somewhat like the Swiss for the protection of the homeland hence Homeland defence rifle really works for me.

Since the Rifles I own in California State are semi auto rifles calling them Assault Rifles is not appropriate what so ever as that term defines a select fire rifle. I Know I don't speak for anyone but myself but It disgusts me that they think a rifle has to have a sporting purpose to be of "Legitimate" use.

Again The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or any sporting purpose. I keep that in mind when I choose terms to use. But i'm not telling or suggesting what anyone else does or thinks. That was just a phase I was going through. :rolleyes:

I may be a junior, junior, junior member here, but I'd be a senior in a marketing or branding forum. ;-)

That said, if the objective is to disassociate what we do with the connotations of the word “assault,” then the alternative has to be simple, make common sense and be memorable. Oh, and also, the new phrase should not bring with it other associations / connotations that may be, right or wrong, also viewed negatively by the general public. "Homeland Defense" to me says "militia" and while I personally don't have a problem with that word, the public pretty much equates militia with the same things they don’t like about “assault rifles”. “Sport Utility Rifle” isn’t bad, but it’s too long and seems coy.

My marketing $.02 would support “Sport Rifle”. Sport describes what we do. “SR-15” is a perfect replacement for “AR-15”. Memorable. Simple. Makes common sense.

BoilermakerJim
03-01-2007, 6:01 PM
"Slammed zumbo against the wall." Funny.

It's not about what works for you personally. It's about what accomplishes your goal. Seems like if this string is about changing the public's mind, then those are the shoes you should put yourself in, not what you personally like. If it was just a vote of the people on this site, that would be a totally different thing.

grammaton76
03-01-2007, 6:14 PM
Oh, and also, the new phrase should not bring with it other associations / connotations that may be, right or wrong, also viewed negatively by the general public. "Homeland Defense" to me says "militia" and while I personally don't have a problem with that word, the public pretty much equates militia with the same things they don’t like about “assault rifles”.

I was actually going to say something similar the other day, but forgot to get on Calguns once I got home that night.

Basically, "Homeland Defense", spoken by someone who clearly isn't military, is simply going to get folks thinking basically about the Minutemen. And by thinking about the Minutemen, I do mean it in the sense that half of the population (our half, the kind who don't think 'assault weapons' are horrible to begin with) will have reactions ranging from 'funny name, ok' to 'ah, how patriotic'. On the other hand, the OTHER half who think of the Minutemen as wack-jobs are going to go "Great, now they're not just assault rifles, they're paramilitary wack-job rifles marketed primarily to militias".

I don't think that "homeland defense rifle" is buying anything for our cause.

For any who don't know, a good number of my weekends are spent at the CWS table during their Socal gun shows. When I get "Waaa, those are assault rifles!", I just smile and say, "Actually, they're just nice target rifles - they hit targets exceptionally well, and that's the only thing I've used mine for. What do you think makes 'em assault weapons?"

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 6:19 PM
OK how about Dropping the Homeland part and just call them Defense rifle's.

I liked the term Service rifle but I'm not in the service any longer so that does not seem to apply.

(SADR) Semi Auto Defense Rifle.

I was actually going to say something similar the other day, but forgot to get on Calguns once I got home that night.

Basically, "Homeland Defense", spoken by someone who clearly isn't military, is simply going to get folks thinking basically about the Minutemen. And by thinking about the Minutemen, I do mean it in the sense that half of the population (our half, the kind who don't think 'assault weapons' are horrible to begin with) will have reactions ranging from 'funny name, ok' to 'ah, how patriotic'. On the other hand, the OTHER half who think of the Minutemen as wack-jobs are going to go "Great, now they're not just assault rifles, they're paramilitary wack-job rifles marketed primarily to militias".

I don't think that "homeland defense rifle" is buying anything for our cause.

For any who don't know, a good number of my weekends are spent at the CWS table during their Socal gun shows. When I get "Waaa, those are assault rifles!", I just smile and say, "Actually, they're just nice target rifles - they hit targets exceptionally well, and that's the only thing I've used mine for. What do you think makes 'em assault weapons?"

Technical Ted
03-01-2007, 6:41 PM
Knight's Armament Corp has the copyright for SR-15. Stands for Stoner Rifle and they happen to be banned in CA by name.

You could start calling them Buttercups and it still wouldn't undo forty years of exposure on the news that has associated EBR's with military and warfare.

SemiAutoSam
03-01-2007, 6:43 PM
Look out its Evil TED he has the sign of the beast. in his post count

Knight's Armament Corp has the copyright for SR-15. Stands for Stoner Rifle and they happen to be banned in CA by name.

You could start calling them Buttercups and it still wouldn't undo forty years of exposure on the news that has associated EBR's with military and warfare.

rorschach
03-01-2007, 6:59 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/tsol_roolz/wicked.gif

DarthSean
03-01-2007, 9:46 PM
How about "multi-purpose rifle"? Considering how reporters don't know the difference between an assault rifle and their own ***, calling it a multi-purpose rifle might catch on with them since it would add even more letters in front of "rifle" to increase the word count when they run spell check. It's harder to make it sound threatening, it helps fill up a newspaper column, it ads a couple seconds to a TV report, they get their paychecks, and everyone except the Brady klan is happy.

dragonbait1a
03-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Didn't this argument go thru with "large capacity ammunition feeding devices"?

Some people wanted "Standard Capacity" to Replace Hi-Cap
"Extended Capacity" for larger then factory mags
and "Limited Capacity" for the 10 round limited mags.

That didn't work either. The Antis co-opted our early language (I remember the '80s gun mags with "The latest Assault Rifles!" articles.) and used it against us. They turn or beliefs against us. By making us fight our own words their false statistics and fearful cries don't get looked into.

All the fence sitting people who are looking for an answer see if us with our foot in our mouth and fall in line to the tune of fear. They think "I don't want to get shot" and vote against us, and follow anti-gunners...

...To their doom. The only think about guns as a good thing if/when they are in a position where they may need one. Our problem is that we don't articulate the emotional and logical reasons for exercising our right. We get marginalized into paranoids, racists and gun-nuts. They don't see a need to ever rise up against the gov't. They see accidents with guns as a bigger threat then criminals. They think that they'll be spared if they don't resist. And We don't make our case in the mass media.

Sorry about the meandering rant,

RGB