PDA

View Full Version : School me on AR's. Assistance Please

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 12:53 PM
In the market for an AR, but not entirely sure I want to build one; the more I research, the more I find I like one feature on a rifle over the other.

I’m torn between Daniel Defense (V3, V5, & maybe V7) and LMT (defender, CQB defender, & .308), I like the attention to detail DD seems to have (beveled edges, wide mag well, lazer etching etc.) but I really like the charging handle on the LMT’s, it has an extra protrusion that the DD does not seem to have; it makes pulling it back that much easier for me.

Now, this one feature is not enough to go out and build one, so my question is, would I be able to swap out a DD for an LMT or even BCM charging handle? I’ve heard most of the parts are interchangeable but I wanted to check here first.

Thoughts, opinions, criticisms, comments, just sayin hi…??? Lol

General Guidance is appreciated.

loosewreck
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
so my question is, would I be able to swap out a DD for an LMT or even BCM charging handle?

Yes, get the Gunfighter, best thing BCM sells.

Sine Metu
11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Charging handle can easily be swapped out, by simply "opening" up the rifle with the takedown pins, and then removing the charging handle and bolt carrier group.

FWIW, I'm quite happy with my VLTOR/BCM charging handle (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm) that has the extended latch.

troysland
11-30-2011, 1:00 PM
AR-15 parts are like legos, all interchangable and fun to put together. Only exception I can think of is mil-spec vs. Commercial in regards to the stock you choose and its buffer tube. Not interchangeable.
Hi...welcome to the BRD (black rifle disease)

Sine Metu
11-30-2011, 1:11 PM
Hi...welcome to the BRD (black rifle disease)

As far as diseases go, it's one of the more expensive ones to treat :)

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 1:11 PM
Thanks fellas,

I won't ask what rifle is better because everyone will have their input but what are your thoughts between these companies; I hear both are quality.

Warranty may be a determing factor.

loosewreck
11-30-2011, 1:13 PM
Flip a coin, the ones you mentioned are all good.

Be safe and good luck!

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 1:26 PM
Flip a coin, the ones you mentioned are all good.

Be safe and good luck!

I do that often actually..lol

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 1:27 PM
As far as diseases go, it's one of the more expensive ones to treat :)

This^^^ And motorcycles!!!! R6!!!! Yeah!

nitroxdiver
11-30-2011, 2:02 PM
Mak, DD and LMT are both very GTG. No problem swapping charging handles if you go DD.

DD M4V3 is super nice. Midlength gas system, 9" free float rail, and fixed A2 front sight
Base. DD also comes with a magpul trigger guard, although that's a cheap and easy install to other rifles as well.

Good luck have fun.

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 2:58 PM
fixed? Meaning it can't be removed if I decided to do so?

BBB114
11-30-2011, 3:09 PM
Generally, people dont switch out a "fixed" A2 front sight base, but it can be done. If you wanted other type front sights, just get a model with the sight you want or a gas block with a rail so you can put on whatever you like.

As for between the two brands of rifles, I have shot both and they are excellent. I prefer the Daniel Defense just a touch more. Nothing against LMT (I will probably get their 308 model) but the DD had really nice touches like you mentioned earlier that really won me over.

In the classes I teach, students have used both without any issues.

Boyan

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 3:38 PM
Generally, people dont switch out a "fixed" A2 front sight base, but it can be done. If you wanted other type front sights, just get a model with the sight you want or a gas block with a rail so you can put on whatever you like.

As for between the two brands of rifles, I have shot both and they are excellent. I prefer the Daniel Defense just a touch more. Nothing against LMT (I will probably get their 308 model) but the DD had really nice touches like you mentioned earlier that really won me over.

In the classes I teach, students have used both without any issues.

Boyan

Thank you,

I may look into the v5 or v7 in this case.

The LMT .308 system is also calling, but I can't afford both right now (I could but would be eating Roman for a while). : )

Looks like another trip to Turners this weekend. YES!

AeroEngi
11-30-2011, 4:00 PM
I say buy the rifle that most fits your requirements and then modify it to your flavor. Definitely get the BCM charging handle. They come in 3 sizes; I got the medium-sized one and I love it.

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 4:12 PM
I say buy the rifle that most fits your requirements and then modify it to your flavor. Definitely get the BCM charging handle. They come in 3 sizes; I got the medium-sized one and I love it.

Thank you for taking your time to give your input.

As for size on the handles; do they extended wider or longer? If that makes sense...

I'm just thinking if the A2 sights would interfere with an eothech or other optic I may put on in the future. Russ at Turners explained that they could be removed. Meh, well see.

AeroEngi
11-30-2011, 4:21 PM
Thank you for taking your time to give your input.

As for size on the handles; do they extended wider or longer? If that makes sense...

I'm just thinking if the A2 sights would interfere with an eothech or other optic I may put on in the future. Russ at Turners explained that they could be removed. Meh, well see.

You're welcome. I believe the handles only extend in width. They make Eotechs that are heightened a bit so you can use the holo sight without the A2 sight interfering (if that makes sense). I have an Aimpoint PRO on my AR and the front sight doesn't bother me at all.

Mac7504
11-30-2011, 4:44 PM
You're welcome. I believe the handles only extend in width. They make Eotechs that are heightened a bit so you can use the holo sight without the A2 sight interfering (if that makes sense). I have an Aimpoint PRO on my AR and the front sight doesn't bother me at all.

Makes sense.
Awesome to hear; I wouldn't be adding optics right after purchase so the A2's would have to do in the mean time.

Again thanks.

nitroxdiver
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry for late reply. Most don't remove A2's, although it can be done. It also is the gas block so you would need a new gas block too. Some have also just had them cut down.

I would say get one or the other from the git go. Either a fixed A2 or low pro gas block with rail mounted front sight.

If you decide to go magnified optic like acog, the A2 will just be a faint grey line in the optic, no biggie. If you go red dot or halo, you can choose which mount height you want.
Absolute cowitness puts the red dot in line with your sight so the dot basically sits on top of your sight post. Lower 1/3rd puts your sights in the lower portion of your sight window.

If you go with a rail mounted flip up irons, then they just stay folded out of the way until you want to use them. There are advantages and arguments to be made for either.

On the BCM charging handle, it is wider as it sticks out a bit further on the left. This allows you to more easily manipulate it one handed. I prefer the #4 medium.

Have fun

Agent Tikki
11-30-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=498535

Mac7504
12-01-2011, 9:59 AM
Sorry for late reply. Most don't remove A2's, although it can be done. It also is the gas block so you would need a new gas block too. Some have also just had them cut down.

I would say get one or the other from the git go. Either a fixed A2 or low pro gas block with rail mounted front sight.

If you decide to go magnified optic like acog, the A2 will just be a faint grey line in the optic, no biggie. If you go red dot or halo, you can choose which mount height you want.
Absolute cowitness puts the red dot in line with your sight so the dot basically sits on top of your sight post. Lower 1/3rd puts your sights in the lower portion of your sight window.

If you go with a rail mounted flip up irons, then they just stay folded out of the way until you want to use them. There are advantages and arguments to be made for either.

On the BCM charging handle, it is wider as it sticks out a bit further on the left. This allows you to more easily manipulate it one handed. I prefer the #4 medium.

Have fun

After doing a bit more reading, I think I've decided to go DD. I'm going to go price them and depending on what is what (A2 fixed sight cost) vs (clean rail + flip up sights). I would be adding optics later. Bacially, v3 vs v5 & v7.

The V7 is a bit lighter than the 3, 5.

Mac7504
12-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I need a bit more input with regards to choosing, and later modding a DD M4.
I’ve settled on DD, but can’t decide between the V5 and V7. I really like the feel of the V7 (It’s a bit lighter and could be tailored for a user a bit more than the quad rails on the V5). With that said, the quad rails appear to be a bit more durable to me; I could see the Modular float rail 12.0 warping if it took a nice whack on something (I haven’t checked thickness though).

Anyway, if I went with a v7 and later wanted to swap out for an Omega X Rail™ 12.0, rather than the Modular float rail 12.0, would it be possible (or does the entire upper need to be changed)?
DD’s website doesn’t have any info on the V7, but from what I’ve gathered it appears just to be a v5 with a modular float rail; anyone? I believe they both use low pro gas blocks.

Lastly, with the lighter setup v7, will I get more muzzle climb?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Pics for ref
http://i43.tinypic.com/4tprtz.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/16hixhj.jpg

Thanks Johnny

Mac7504
12-02-2011, 3:12 PM
Anyone???

Mac7504
12-05-2011, 1:08 PM
PTR 91 .308 semi auto over a DD 5.56mm NATO (V5 or V7)?

I've never heard of PTR - reputable?

Saber2Golf
12-05-2011, 7:02 PM
If it's just a question of what latch is on the carry handle, you don't even need to get a BCM. Just go on MidwayUSA or Brownell's, pick the latch you like best, and swap them by punching out the little roll pin. If you have problems with combustion gasses coming out of the charging handle slot (I never have), a little bead of high temp silicone on the charging handle should do the trick. Just my $0.02 (because I'm obviously cheap haha)

alfred1222
12-05-2011, 8:01 PM
get the LMT, you wont regret it. i have one, and it is the most reliable, accurate, and well built gun i have shot

Jyruiz
12-05-2011, 8:36 PM
I really like the DD V7 over the V5, I think is looks cleaner and I also like the fact that it is lighter. After sigths and optics, it will get heavier and you will appreciate the lighter AR. Right now, Riflegear has a good price on the V7. Good luck either way, you are getting one heck of an AR.

Mac7504
12-05-2011, 8:59 PM
I really like the DD V7 over the V5, I think is looks cleaner and I also like the fact that it is lighter. After sigths and optics, it will get heavier and you will appreciate the lighter AR. Right now, Riflegear has a good price on the V7. Good luck either way, you are getting one heck of an AR.

Thank you for taking your time to reply to my post.

I actually favor the v7 over the v5 a tad bit more due to the lighter weight, but concerned about the lighter config; will I get more muzzle climb with the lighter setup? Again, I know very little about M4's.

The v5 appears to be a bit more durable though, emailed DD to see if I could swap rails from v5 to v7, if I decided to swap rails later.

Jyruiz
12-05-2011, 9:03 PM
You should be able to change rails no problem, just go to have the right tools.

rplusplus
12-05-2011, 9:28 PM
Rifles like cars are a spices... to each their own...

That being said... Not all Pigs are Equal...

What I have found is...

Buy what you can afford... Shoot/drive it... and then make your own judgement of what you want.

Only then can you truly be happy with what you own.

Mac7504
12-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Rifles like cars are a spices... to each their own...

That being said... Not all Pigs are Equal...

What I have found is...

Buy what you can afford... Shoot/drive it... and then make your own judgement of what you want.

Only then can you truly be happy with what you own.

OK, if I could find anyone with a DD v5 or v7 and let me shoot it - I'm all open. Ha!

I actually got in contact with someone at DD and got the answers what I was looking for. It is possible to swap rails (v5 to v7 or vice versa) but I would need to swap out the barrel nut along with the rail, but that's it. Awesome!:D

I did ask about muzzle climb on the lighter config, and I was told that it will raise a bit but only by a very small amount, so that eases my concerns a bit.

Now wheres that coin to flip!