PDA

View Full Version : hard-chrome vs. nickle boron BCG

Mail Clerk
11-30-2011, 6:17 AM
Hello to all,

I was wondering if nickle boron BCG for AR15'e really that good over a typical hard-chrome???? The difference is pretty significant between the two. Are they really that necssary compared to a standard version???

Mail Clerk

nickyrr
11-30-2011, 6:58 AM
Nope.. think about this.. troops in afghan aren't even using those in two and they fire their rifles more in a day than what an average Joe Will fire in their lifetime. Is it needed? NO but do you want it for the so called end of days SHTF absolute zombie scenario? Your call

Mail Clerk
11-30-2011, 7:15 AM
nickrr,

So in general nickle boron coatings are just a fad????

Mail Clerk

Nathan Krynn
11-30-2011, 7:41 AM
I use fail zero BCG's in my personal builds.

There is nothing like running a non lubed 10.5" suppressed all day long at a local shooting match while the rest of my squad stares in amazement like I am some AR building god. Yes this happened one day, it was only 200+ rounds but still.

The first FZ BCG I had I ran it 1500 rounds to see what would happen on a brand new build, no lube what so ever. Well I have well over 6k on it now and still running like a champ. I do now put a drop or two of lube on it but that's it.

You can not do this on a standard BCG.

adrenaline
11-30-2011, 8:24 AM

I didn't want to go overboard on my firearm spending so when the wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, it was ammo and the Nickel Boron Fail Zero BCG (Spike's).

I like wiping down stuff clean. :D

Nathan, I hear some people lube up a little though to reduce friction against the upper receiver. No heavy lube...but a little? I figure some frog lube inside the upper receiver and wiping down after a shoot will be a fun thing to do.

Mail Clerk
11-30-2011, 8:50 AM
Hi you all,

I was reading an article about a new AR-15 product on the market called "Core-15" and according to the website they offer fully assembled nickle boron bolts and carriers. I was wondering cuz I have a hard-hrome version bought from Model 1 Sales about 5 years ago and have been happy with it. It cleans very wekk and fast!!!

I'm heading to the last big show in Arizona this coming weekend and was also wondering if this company might be there. Anyone know????

Mail Clerk

FeuerFrei
11-30-2011, 8:58 AM

There is nothing like running a non lubed 10.5" suppressed all day long at a local shooting match while the rest of my squad stares in amazement like I am some AR building god. Yes this happened one day, it was only 200+ rounds but still.

The first FZ BCG I had I ran it 1500 rounds to see what would happen on a brand new build, no lube what so ever. Well I have well over 6k on it now and still running like a champ. I do now put a drop or two of lube on it but that's it.

This has been my experience as well. (similar round count too)
The only thing that changed was the color of the carrier. Turned a little grey, but still is slicker than snot with very little wear.

ZombieTactics
11-30-2011, 9:21 AM
Chrome plating is a good solution at a good price. It probably exceeds any specification ever needed in a civilian or LE rifle when properly done.

There are any number of better alternatives, however. Nickel-Boron, Tennifer, Melonite, various other nitriding treatments or exotic processes. Most of these offer superior performance in terms of wear, corrosion and fouling resistance, more precise tolerances and other factors important in firearms.

Do you neeeeeeed any of this? Probably not. Prices are becoming low enough that it's an attractive option, IMHO.

nickyrr
11-30-2011, 9:22 AM
nickrr,

So in general nickle boron coatings are just a fad????

Mail Clerk

I wouldn't call em a fad... Since they do serve a purpose but will I pay the money they're asking for... Nope maybe later as the technology gets cheaper and possibly better. But I could think of a lot of ways to spend my money buying other stuff..

h0use
11-30-2011, 9:28 AM
i am planing on gettng one soon. but i have never had any probems with a hard crome bolt. I shoot a lwrc with over 11k rounds all wolf ammo. never had a problem with the hard crome bolt.

Nathan Krynn
11-30-2011, 9:32 AM
I like wiping down stuff clean. :D

Nathan, I hear some people lube up a little though to reduce friction against the upper receiver. No heavy lube...but a little? I figure some frog lube inside the upper receiver and wiping down after a shoot will be a fun thing to do.

Yeah it is so awesome to just wipe it off and pretty much good to go. I still use the CRT on the tail of the bolt but seriously it takes me less then 5 min to detail clean the FZ BCG while watching TV.

Hi you all,

I was reading an article about a new AR-15 product on the market called "Core-15" and according to the website they offer fully assembled nickle boron bolts and carriers. I was wondering cuz I have a hard-hrome version bought from Model 1 Sales about 5 years ago and have been happy with it. It cleans very wekk and fast!!!

I'm heading to the last big show in Arizona this coming weekend and was also wondering if this company might be there. Anyone know????

Mail Clerk

GTO (core-15) are based in Ocala FL so I doubt they will be at your local show, but maybe. They are really good guys.

This has been my experience as well. (similar round count too)
The only thing that changed was the color of the carrier. Turned a little grey, but still is slicker than snot with very little wear.

Yeah mine went from this shinny gold to black now. On the one that has umpteen thousands of rounds that I beat to hell and back no one even knows it is a FZ it is so black.

Richard Erichsen
11-30-2011, 9:33 AM
Hello to all,

I was wondering if nickle boron BCG for AR15'e really that good over a typical hard-chrome???? The difference is pretty significant between the two. Are they really that necssary compared to a standard version???

Mail Clerk

There are all kinds of fancy coatings that could be used, but for the most part they aren't needed unless you have a very specific problem in need of a very specific solution. Silenced full auto weapons may have unique requirements compared to a semi-auto rifle fired at the local range on weekends. In a market awash with AR15 parts vendors, standing out can demand some creativity. A fancy sounding alloy that provides little or no appreciable advantage over chrome or other common processes is just one example. I'm sure there is a hefty price premium for the privilege that might be better spent doing something that will make you a better shooter or solve some weak point in your particular rifle that a 3 day carbine course might help identify.

nickyrr
11-30-2011, 9:36 AM

That is great! I spent 8 years in
The service and all those years I've had a few things that was drilled into my head number one is cleaning weapons... Not saying you don't clean your weapons but imagine being tokd everyday that a clean weapon is the most important part of my life,more than eating, cleaning myself, or sleeping. And actually spend days if not weeks cleaning a single service rifle.... You tend to develop some habits... Evertime I see a picture of a rifle on this site that is laying on the floor/dirt/ ground, or a weapon not on safe selector, it makes me want to cringe.
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't mind cleaning my guns after a shoot... No matter how many rounds I fired. Just became a second nature.

gun toting monkeyboy
11-30-2011, 9:37 AM
I have a chrome BCG that I picked up for my 5.45 build. I didn't get it because it would run any better, or use less lube, or anything else. I got it simply because I have a stash of 7N6 ammo, and while it doesn't seem to be super corrosive, it is still corrosive. And I figured anything that I could do to minimize the long term effects of that on my rifle would be a good thing. I picked up the complete BCG on gunbroker for less than I could get it elsewhere. The bolt will likely become a spare for my 5.56 guns, and the BC goes to the new upper.

Richard Erichsen
11-30-2011, 9:38 AM
Chrome plating is a good solution at a good price. It probably exceeds any specification ever needed in a civilian or LE rifle when properly done.

There are any number of better alternatives, however. Nickel-Boron, Tennifer, Melonite, various other nitriding treatments or exotic processes. Most of these offer superior performance in terms of wear, corrosion and fouling resistance, more precise tolerances and other factors important in firearms.

Do you neeeeeeed any of this? Probably not. Prices are becoming low enough that it's an attractive option, IMHO.

Indeed, Melonite/Isonite/Tuffride/Tennifer (same process, different trade name) has better wear resistance, better corrosion resistance (salt spray, acids), better anti-gall, gas erosion and depth than a chrome plate and are arguable superior to nickel boron at a MUCH lower price. If you think you really need better than hard chrome, a typical fee for a barrel or a bolt group is $35-40 (per part). I just checked the price on the nickel boron stuff - golly. There are clearly better things to spend money on.

Mail Clerk
11-30-2011, 9:46 AM
Hi guys,

Just read that magazine article and saw on there website that they offered that kind of carrier/bolt. Since I am so happy with my chrome version cuz too me the most intriquet part of the rifle is the bolt and carrier. Using a chrome version it cleans up so fast and I don't mind putting a drop or two of oil to lube it at all. I love chrome but thought of the price difference.

Mail Clerk

Sicarius
11-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I wouldnt mind having a NB coated BCG but I would be hard pressed to pay the difference from chrome.
Kevin

Jpach
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
FailZero is the ****!

The BCGs that come with the LMT 308s are FailZerod and those suckers clean up almost TOO easily.

Perhaps the FZ plays a big role in why the LMT beat the HK-417 and SCAR-H in terms of reliability (per the British).

Omega13device
11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
There are all kinds of fancy coatings that could be used, but for the most part they aren't needed unless you have a very specific problem in need of a very specific solution. Silenced full auto weapons may have unique requirements compared to a semi-auto rifle fired at the local range on weekends. In a market awash with AR15 parts vendors, standing out can demand some creativity. A fancy sounding alloy that provides little or no appreciable advantage over chrome or other common processes is just one example. I'm sure there is a hefty price premium for the privilege that might be better spent doing something that will make you a better shooter or solve some weak point in your particular rifle that a 3 day carbine course might help identify.

^^^^ What he said.

People are overcleaning their ARs as well. I rarely clean them, just a few drops of lube on the carrier rails and on the gas rings. 2k rounds on one upper with no cleaning so far.

Mail Clerk
11-30-2011, 6:24 PM
Good evening guys/gals,

I'm looking for a new upper so that's why I was wondering about getting a new hard-chrome bolt carrier and bolt. With any hope Model 1 Sales will be there cuz that's where I got my first one and have been happy since. Still though getting a nickle boron versiion is interesting ans would get one if the price is right. The main thing is getting an upper. I'm looking for a "Dissapator" with a 16" barrel.

I'll let you guys know what II finally decide to get when I get to the show.

Later,

Mail Clerk