PDA

View Full Version : where is a good place to meet when selling guns privately?

spenceyadigg
11-30-2011, 7:07 AM
I do not want to meet at my house for obvious reasons so where do you guys normally meet?

Eat Dirt
11-30-2011, 7:14 AM
Any " Gun Store " parking lot ( Turners ,Big-5 . ect )

that way somebody won't Freak -Out and yell " Gun ! "

You will be in an area that is used to seeing guns brought in and out

coyotebait
11-30-2011, 7:15 AM
I do not want to meet at my house for obvious reasons so where do you guys normally meet?

I met one guy just outside my work....I work at a golf course. The other I met toward the back of a Home Depot parking lot.
Kinda felt dirty. :D

coyotebait
11-30-2011, 7:16 AM

Where's the excitement in that?:43:

SocomM4
11-30-2011, 7:31 AM

Umm a gun shop.

Treb5
11-30-2011, 7:34 AM
Always at a FFL. Which is usually the nearest gunshop.

Andy Taylor
11-30-2011, 7:38 AM
The transfer, if a sale happens, needs to be done at an FFL anyway, so just meet at a gunshop.

Mesa Tactical
11-30-2011, 7:56 AM

WTF?

Roots
11-30-2011, 8:08 AM
At the range..

coyotebait
11-30-2011, 8:09 AM

Are you talking about a FTF transfer of a curio?

Noobert
11-30-2011, 8:25 AM
I've met at the parking lot of a McDonald's and Walmart before to FTF a lower and a Sig

Exile Machine
11-30-2011, 8:34 AM
I always meet internet buyers at Wendy's. You never want to have random internet people come to your home, on the off chance that they could be a psycho trolling the ads for gullible victims to slaughter. This is easy for selling guns and other small items, but not so easy for selling weightlifting equipment. Sold a used BowFlex once, and the manager of the Wendy's did protest as I attempted to set it up in front of the salad & potato bar.

-Mark

Javi
11-30-2011, 8:42 AM

I was thinking of selling my C&R rifle so I was thinking of the parking lots of Ammo Bros in Ontario or Turner's in Chino Hills. A shooting range is also another good choice. Both not uncommon to see firearms out in the open so no worries.

bill_k_lopez
11-30-2011, 8:46 AM

Why the parking lot? Going inside is even better.

TurboChrisB
11-30-2011, 8:50 AM
I usually buy my weapons in dark alleys

Casual_Shooter
11-30-2011, 8:50 AM
I'd be hesitant to have people come to my home also, but I would also feel weird about showing someone a firearm in a parking lot.

I'd pick a range or gun store/ FFL. Ideally, the FFL the transfer would take place.

Mesa Tactical
11-30-2011, 8:57 AM
Why the parking lot? Going inside is even better.

Going inside is required by law.

However, I was once kicked out of a Turners in the course of my favorite gun-buying story. I walked in and there was a guy at the counter trying to sell a shotgun and a Mini-30. The Turners guy was low-balling him really badly (I understand why they do that, they have to mark it up to sell it, but the seller didn't realize a gun dealer is the worst place to sell a gun, unless it's consignment). I heard the offer for the Mini-30, something like $150, and I strode right up to the guy without even looking at the rifle and said I would give him $250 for the Mini-30. Yeah, another low-ball, but he wasn't going to do better with another dealer.

Turners guy told us both to get the hell out of there. Again, I don't blame him, but we had to meet at a different gun store to do the PPT. I now wish I had bought the shotgun, too.

loosewreck
11-30-2011, 9:12 AM
I've done the parking lot thing a couple times- feels shady- looks suspicious too. Just do it inside a gun store, outside it can look like a black market transaction.

robcoe
11-30-2011, 9:33 AM

At the FFL that will be doing the transfer, for me that's usualy Turners in Signal hill, Ammo Brothers in Cerritos or Insight Range. That way there is no time wasted going to an ffl after meeting, and it protects both sides since there are other people, cameras and in the case of the shooting range other armed people around.

ocabj
11-30-2011, 9:36 AM
When I was selling off some of my C&R long guns, face-to-face, I told the prospective buyers to meet me at my club's shooting range whenever I was there practicing. I even let them test fire the guns if they wanted to.

West coast
11-30-2011, 9:45 AM
No brainier.... Gun Shop

Ubermcoupe
11-30-2011, 9:55 AM

an FFL???

unless you are talking about C&R Long guns...:confused:

dholla
11-30-2011, 9:58 AM
Does Big5 really do PPTs?

paul0660
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Does Big5 really do PPTs?

They are required to to PPT's on rifles. It may take a while.

cqbdude
11-30-2011, 10:07 AM
gun shop

keenkeen
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I've done the parking lot thing a couple times- feels shady- looks suspicious too. Just do it inside a gun store, outside it can look like a black market transaction.

This...But some guns shops are sensitive about you paying the seller inside the store. So I have done the parking lot inspection and pmt thing before going into the shop for the paperwork. It does feel super shady!

:chris:

Deadbolt
11-30-2011, 3:03 PM
you ladies and your appearances :lol:

I spent 3hrs in LA traffic ( north Santa Barbara co to Culiver City ) with a 8mm m24/47 and 1600rounds of 8mm surplus strapped to a motorcycle.

At that point, when i got to the meet spot i was happy to unload that asap. It was ridiculous, about 90+lbs of just AMMO tethered to the back of my supermoto :chris:

SDM44
11-30-2011, 3:49 PM
post office, library, school yard, airport, courthouse

wait... wut

h0use
11-30-2011, 4:02 PM
shooting range. so they can test out the gun.

locktime
11-30-2011, 4:06 PM
Any parking lot except a bank.

2DoorImpala
11-30-2011, 4:09 PM
Dirty xxx theater

holyhandgrenade
11-30-2011, 4:43 PM
Did a transaction in a Costco parking lot, wasnt a big deal.

Vlad 11
11-30-2011, 11:22 PM
I have a nice spot to meet
http://www.capturedimages.ca/pixelpost_v1.6.0/images/20090703154017_down_a_dark_alley.jpg

Cali-Shooter
12-01-2011, 12:13 AM
At a bar parking lot. Do the gun sale, and you guys both go in for a drink or two. Everybody wins! :)

P.S. Exile Machine has the best story there, about the BowFlew, hahaha

chuckdc
12-01-2011, 7:55 AM
At a bar parking lot. Do the gun sale, and you guys both go in for a drink or two. Everybody wins! :)

P.S. Exile Machine has the best story there, about the BowFlew, hahaha

Make sure the bar is next to a smoke shop, so you can REALLY have ATF there.:smilielol5::rofl2::whistling:

RustyMacHine
12-01-2011, 8:18 AM
Someone actually wanted to meet at a PG&E yard one Sunday @ around dusk w/c was so secluded that if I was getting robbed and murdered no one would ever find me 'til the next work day.
I had to PM another member about it and showed up armed. Good thing he changed the venue to a more public place.Then the buyer turned out to be LEO and a nice guy.:o

To answer the OP's question the safest place would be @ the gun store.

warbird
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I have had gun store employees come out and tell us to go inside and then proceed to stick their nose in every aspect of the private sale including price negotiation. In parking lots you can be assumed to be staging for a robbery of some sort or mass murder and be reported only to be shot by over zealous responding cops. With the number of nosy people running around in today's society who want to know everyone's business and the paranoia about guns there really is not a safe place except for a mutual place both you and the other person feels safe about. I have met in a lot of places over time from McDonald's to gunstores to parking lots by a Starbucks. I have always chosen well lit places, memorized the license plate of the other guys vehicle, and been prepared to take the gun straight to the closest gun shop if the deal was made.

DirtFarmer916
12-01-2011, 2:41 PM
Strip clubs!

IrishPirate
12-01-2011, 2:48 PM
Strip clubs!

win