PDA

View Full Version : can we build

1911whore
02-28-2007, 3:36 PM
Can we or better yet where can we gat just a frame for a 1911 and build our oun. Can we do this in california?

bwiese
02-28-2007, 3:44 PM
The only way to get a frame, legally, in CA, is via PPT.

An FFL cannot deliver a frame to you as a gun sale, it has to be a complete gun and on the approved list.

If you get a frame from someone transferred to you, you are allowed to build it up into a full working gun.

leelaw
02-28-2007, 3:44 PM
You can not buy new complete frames in CA, since frames can not be tested and are thus not on the certified roster.

If someone has one here legally and wants to sell it private party transfer, you can do so.

spencerhut
03-01-2007, 9:08 AM
Can we build one from an 80% frame?

Kruzr
03-01-2007, 9:55 AM
Can we build one from an 80% frame?

Yes, provided you do the milling of the rails by yourself. You may not let anyone else "build" the gun for you.

Franksremote
03-01-2007, 9:58 AM
DYIGuns.com has 60 -80% 1911 and other blanks

DRM6000
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
what is involved with completing a 80% 1911 frame? i have a friend who will getting a mill soon and i'd like to try to complete one.

Franksremote
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
what is involved with completing a 80% 1911 frame? i have a friend who will getting a mill soon and i'd like to try to complete one.

Best to goto the site and look there, they've got all the completion instructions, etc. Basically, you have to mill the rails, complete it yourself and it can never be sold. If you've got access to a mill, you're most of the way there.

Where are you located? I could use access to a mill ;)

cho034442
03-01-2007, 11:56 AM
May I assume that you are fairly good with mill? Otherwise, at almost $100 a pop, there is really no room to screw up (at least for me anyway). Not to mention that you will probably need to hand fit the slide and other parts on the frame. Sounds like an interesting project, though.

DRM6000
03-01-2007, 12:02 PM
i have no experience with a mill. it's going to be an expensive little project. if i screw up milling the rails, it's only a hundred bucks, but i will have learned something. i can use the rest of the frame to learn how to do other things like fitting beavertails, bobtail grips, finishing, checkering or whatever. what is going to hurt is the money that will be poured into jigs and tools.

DANGERCLOSE
03-01-2007, 7:01 PM
i was checking out the caspian frames they have. now i just have to find someone to ppt one. i have friends out of state that will help. how do you do it legally. do they have to move here or something. i dont know much about this action. thanks guys.:confused:

leelaw
03-02-2007, 8:25 AM
i was checking out the caspian frames they have. now i just have to find someone to ppt one. i have friends out of state that will help. how do you do it legally. do they have to move here or something. i dont know much about this action. thanks guys.:confused:

Those can only be brought into te state by a person who is moving here, establishes residency, and registers it with the state. Once they are registered, they can be PPT to another person.

Ninja45
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Although possible, California made it really hard to do a "build it yourself" pistol. The 80% frame route is a possibility, but unless you are an adept machinist and a patient person, the project you have in mind can be very frustrating. Not to mention, "expensive", when parts don't quite mate together because the cut or the hole was not within tolerance. Take it from a guy who built two 1911's from parts (from days of old, before the crazy Calif laws).

May I suggest you buy a basic 1911 pistol (RIA or SA) then you can have a a good starting point/platform for personal modifications.

Just my 2 cents.

Ninja45

bwiese
03-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I would be very very very careful with what an "80% frame" is.

There really is no such thing codifed in the law or regulations.

What you think has 20% left and what the BATF thinks may be two different things. Just because it takes you awhile to complete, doesn't mean it takes that long for someone more experienced and/or with better tools to complete.

Bottom line: it should take you a LOT of work to build up a frame. If you think the job's gonna be easy, then you prob shouldn't buy that frame because there's a good chance it's too close to the line.

One Calgunner is already in trouble for a so-called 80% tube receiver, in combination with an SMG parts kit - it got him to 'constructive possession' even though the receiver was supposedly 80% or even a bit below.

Expect more attention to this in the future.

ibbryn
03-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Expect more attention to this in the future.

Thank God our elected officials are working to keep us safe.