PDA

View Full Version : Norinco SKS or Saiga ?

jrara
11-29-2011, 11:18 PM
I found a Norinco SKS in one store and found a Saiga in another.

The Norinco looks pretty tempting but not sure if its a paratrooper.

While the Saiga is newer and a bit cheaper.

Not sure which route to go first?

jeffrice6
11-30-2011, 2:22 AM
If memory serves, the paratrooper will have a detachable mag.

ZX-10R
11-30-2011, 7:13 AM
Norinco...Saiga you can get 24/7...The Norinco you will kick your arse for passing up. You can sell it in a year and make more and be able to get an AK pattern you want.

That should answer your question.

fixitoscar
11-30-2011, 8:56 AM
If memory serves, the paratrooper will have a detachable mag.

and a thumbhole stock. That one is banned in Cali.

personally I would go with the saiga they just seem to be a higher quality piece.

NorCalK9.com
11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
and a thumbhole stock. That one is banned in Cali.

personally I would go with the saiga they just seem to be a higher quality piece.

Not that I disagree 100% but how can you say that? Do you mean quality in finish?
Both are very high quality in function!
Both will eat up all the scrap ammo!
Both will run for MANY years to come!
Both will outlive most modern day platforms!

gun toting monkeyboy
11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Ummm... The Norinco is highly variable. If it has the detachable magazine, it is a no-no here. And in terms of quality, they can be very hit or miss. I have seen some that were well put together. And I have seen some that make the drunken monkeys they have working at Century Arms look like world-class gunsmiths. I had one that had five (yes 5) distinct stages of gritty creep in the trigger, and and finally broke with all the crispness of a rotten banana. I have seen several that had the sights off so badly that you could probably shoot around corners with them. The majority of the Chicom SKSs that were imported in the 1990s were decent enough rifles for the $89 they were selling for. Nothing special. But not horrible either. They were not, however, anywhere near the level of what amounts to a Russian-made AK. Which is what the Saiga is. If you can pick the SKS up for $150-ish, and it is mechanically sound, go for it. Otherwise, the Saiga wins hands down every time.

-Mb

paul0660
11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I have owned both, and the SKS has more machined parts. I don't think you can break either of them. Monkeyboy is right about the variability of quality in the Chinese. I have one that is like a vintage Swiss watch, but they are not all like that. It should be evident when you examine and dry fire it.

If the SKS is more than the Saiga I think it is overpriced, or the Saiga is a great deal.

Norsemen308
11-30-2011, 11:21 AM
depends alot on what you want to do... if you want to own a peice of forgotten history get a sks, if you want an ak... get a saiga. I have a norinco and my friend has a saiga, I probably would have just gotten a saiga after shooting his, but then again I already have a romanian sks.

fixitoscar
11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Not that I disagree 100% but how can you say that? Do you mean quality in finish?
Both are very high quality in function!
Both will eat up all the scrap ammo!
Both will run for MANY years to come!
Both will outlive most modern day platforms!

finish, feel , oh and hitting a target.
I agree they all pretty much eat anything and will keep on chugging along. but i have seen some that don't shoot straight. canted front sight, super wobbly triggers, and unfinished sharp edges. I have also seen some that are perfectly fine. Like monkey boy said, they can be hit or miss. Take a good look at it before putting down your money. If that is the one you choose.

zfields
11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Scoop up that Norinco while its there!

tujungatoes
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Norinco...Saiga you can get 24/7...The Norinco you will kick your arse for passing up. You can sell it in a year and make more and be able to get an AK pattern you want.

That should answer your question.

+1
There are a finite number of those norinco's floating around. The saigas on the other hand are still coming in and will be around later.

NorCalK9.com
11-30-2011, 4:31 PM
Lmao canted sites? Easy fix!
I have 2 norinco sks's both numbers matching even on the stock n both are just as good in function as any saiga sporter ive ever owned!

Levetti
11-30-2011, 5:46 PM
The SKS' Ive shot have been more accurate than my Saiga, but if the Saiga is cheaper you could get that and get a new trigger which would help accuracy a bit.

brianm767
11-30-2011, 6:03 PM
Norinco Paratrooper will look like a standard SKS, it will have a 16'' barrel, standard SKS will have a 20'' barrel and it Wont or shouldn't have a detachable mag.

As mentioned all the detachable mag Norincos were banned

Some Paratroppers were. Sold as Cowboy Companians.

I'd take a SKS over a Saiga any day, god price would be $250-$350, pushing $400 then I'd look for a. Russian SKS

ZX-10R
11-30-2011, 7:19 PM

If Z and I agree you know you better get the Norinco. HAHA. ;)

zfields
12-01-2011, 10:25 AM
If Z and I agree you know you better get the Norinco. HAHA. ;)

It's been happening more and more. I don't think I'm comfortable with that :D

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

SKSer45
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Grab the Norinco Hands down. Saigas come in crates and are everywhere. Trust me in ten years you don't want to be saying "Damn should have picked up that Norinco."

jrara
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Well I did it, I put a down on the SKS. It was about $450 out the door.

I know I could of waited and got a Russian one but I don't mind giving a local gunstore my business.

NorCalK9.com
12-03-2011, 1:11 AM
$450? Bud I woulda sold you both mine for 600 lol. Gun stores are always getting over on people!

hoozaru
12-03-2011, 1:49 AM
Norinco was founded in 1980, Izhmash was founded in 1807.
Saigas will be worth more in the long run, remember what happened to VEPR?

Kinsel83
12-03-2011, 7:46 AM
If you didn't already own a SKS, I would say get the SKS. Glad to hear you chose it. Buy Saiga next time.

SKSer45
12-03-2011, 7:47 AM

I know I could of waited and got a Russian one but I don't mind giving a local gunstore my business.

hmmm 450 is a weee bit to high for a chinese but don't worry it will last you a long time and you shall have plenty of fun. Got any pictures of it? Maybe you picked up a Para Instead which could be worth that. Better yet maybe you picked up a Sino-Soviet and just didn't know it :)

gun toting monkeyboy
12-03-2011, 8:34 AM
Holy crap! You paid $450 for a chicom SKS?! Seriously? For that price you would have been able to buy a good European model. Next time look on gunbroker first to get a price range. They still have them on there for around $200 "buy it now" occasionally. I hope that you enjoy it. I really do. But next time shop around a bit more. $450 was NOT a good deal for that gun.

-Mb

brianm767
12-03-2011, 4:09 PM
Norinco Paratrooper will look like a standard SKS, it will have a 16'' barrel, standard SKS will have a 20'' barrel and it Wont or shouldn't have a detachable mag.

As mentioned all the detachable mag Norincos were banned

Some Paratroppers were. Sold as Cowboy Companians.

I'd take a SKS over a Saiga any day, god price would be $250-$350, pushing $400 then I'd look for a. Russian SKS

OK, well if your happy with the price that's all that matters, but it is high for a Chicom, I still stand by my post above, for $450 you can probably get a nice Russian, no DROS or tax either since it would be cash and carry if you find one in Private party in Cali.

jrara
12-03-2011, 6:25 PM
Ill post pictures once its out of jail. Its a Type 56 with the spiked bayonet according to the Owner of the shop. It has a milled trigger guard.

It has a triangle with chinese characters on the right side then the serial number.

All numbers matching.

I know I can get cheaper from Gunbroker and other auction sites but I still have to deal with FFL fees, if the seller would ship to California.

I think I would of spent the same.

G-Solutions
12-03-2011, 7:47 PM
Joining the thread way late and the decision is already made.... nonetheless, here are my $.02.

The Norinco will most likely add a bit value and in the meantime will be a fun and reliable plinker.

As a fighting weapon, I'd prefer the Saiga due to the detachable magazine. I taught a class several years back with Saiga and SKS side-by-side. Within the first ten rounds there was virtually no difference on stock rifles. Both are fast-handling and accurate enough to get the job done... then came proactive and reactive reloads.

Proactive reloads on the SKS are difficult, since one has to hold the bolt back manually while topping the internal mag off.
With the Saiga it's mag-mag-bolt (the long version: old mag out, new mag in, run the bolt to be sure you have a round in the chamber) - done!

Reactive reloads on the SKS - stripper clip into guide, rounds down, stripper clip out, release bolt.
Saiga: mag-mag-bolt... done!

With the Saiga, one can easily add an ultimak rail and a red-dot and the rifle is even faster from ready-position to target. This will also allow co-witnessing the irons... no such option for the SKS.

jrara
12-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Joining the thread way late and the decision is already made.... nonetheless, here are my $.02.

The Norinco will most likely add a bit value and in the meantime will be a fun and reliable plinker.

As a fighting weapon, I'd prefer the Saiga due to the detachable magazine. I taught a class several years back with Saiga and SKS side-by-side. Within the first ten rounds there was virtually no difference on stock rifles. Both are fast-handling and accurate enough to get the job done... then came proactive and reactive reloads.

Proactive reloads on the SKS are difficult, since one has to hold the bolt back manually while topping the internal mag off.
With the Saiga it's mag-mag-bolt (the long version: old mag out, new mag in, run the bolt to be sure you have a round in the chamber) - done!

Reactive reloads on the SKS - stripper clip into guide, rounds down, stripper clip out, release bolt.
Saiga: mag-mag-bolt... done!

With the Saiga, one can easily add an ultimak rail and a red-dot and the rifle is even faster from ready-position to target. This will also allow co-witnessing the irons... no such option for the SKS.

No Worries, Ill end up getting a Saiga or building a AR to add to my collection.

J.S.78
12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Like G-Solutions I joined late as well, but here's my 2 cents. When I was 18 the first gun purchase I made was a Norinco SKS. I love that rifle, it has always been accurate and the quality was top notch from the day I bought it. I have shot Saiga's that were poor quality from the factory. I have an Arsenal Arms AK47 which is top notch too and one of my favorite range rifles, which is a rebuilt Saiga. From other's reviews and my experience either can be hit or miss, but in my case the Norinco was a hit! I still have it. The Saiga's are a dime a dozen, Norinco are like classic cars and the value will continue to appreciate, indefinitely. I could easily sell my SKS for $500+ right now, when I paid about $125 new.

Bottom line good choice on the purchase, you will not regret it!

paul0660
12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
I could easily sell my SKS for $500+ right now,

Maybe to jrara. Chinese SKS's are still ubiquitous, and should be the least expensive SKS until the love affair with Yugo's is over.

The 2012 election is going to have more effect on gun prices than anything else.

BroncoBob
12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Get the SKS leave the Cannoli

RAMCHARGER
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Good choice. I had three SKS and one Saiga. Saiga mags are a PIA to find and are expensive. Unless you modify your Saiga and then you open up a new can of works and YOUR STILL STUCK WITH castrated ten round mags. I have a ammo can full of Stripper clips for the SKS that I got for pocket lint and change :) AND my son in AZ has a drum mag for it so when I vist him :)

MongooseV8
12-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Everyone that's all excited about $450 for an sks clearly doesn't live in the bay area. I've seen dozens of $599 pricetags for Chinese and Romanian sks's and that's before tax and dros. You didn't do that bad op. You are still way ahead of the price a saiga demands these days. Either would have been a good choice but an sks has more things going for it IMO.

RAMCHARGER
12-29-2011, 2:46 PM
BTW does that Norinco hace a screwed on barrel or pressed?

paul0660
12-29-2011, 2:55 PM
BTW does that Norinco hace a screwed on barrel or pressed?

It depends, but it is easy to tell.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/threeaks.htm

Rob454
12-29-2011, 3:00 PM
having owned both a SKS and a Saiga i would take the SKS over the saiga any day of the week ( Let me rephrase that when i say Saiga i mean saiga in sportster configuration) has absolutely no advantage over the SKS. And the SKS can carry more ammo on stripper clips than a Saiga in 10 round mags. Also clips are way cheaper than mags and if its attached you can't lose it
Saigas feel so damn cheap with the plastic stocks I don't understand how you guys stand them. Its a absolutely HORRIBLE stock and the ergonomics suck on it.

J.S.78
12-29-2011, 3:34 PM
Yeah MongooseV8, in the Bay Area SKS's Chinese, Romanian, etc., especially one's that have or can be easily converted to detachable mags are fetching $600 easy. IMO for good reason, they are reliable in my experience, the market isn't flooded like Saiga which makes them rare and the value keeps increasing. I know plenty of people who would love to get their hands on my pre-ban Norinco SKS over a Saiga anyday. I've been offered ridiculous prices to sell mine. But, since I bought it when it was legal, I don't think I'll ever sell it. In fact, many enthusiasts in the Bay Area are looking for Norinco in particular. I find the opposition interesting? Maybe my network is far different than those who think the Chinese SKS's are inferior to Saiga? I own and avidly shoot both, I like both, but my Norinco is much more solid than 8 out of 10 Saiga's I've shot. And, I've had mine for about 15 years. Just MHO

Maplewood
12-29-2011, 3:44 PM
Sold my Yugo SKS to buy the Saiga and love it

But Paratrooper SKS's are always cool, you did just fine, a bit pricey but not out of line

vta
12-29-2011, 5:15 PM
A type 56 norinco sks is the best of its kind in my opinion if you find a good one. the key phrase there is 'a good one'. Meaning a true mil-surp rather than one commercially made for export.

a SKS will also be more accurate and with stripper clips, it won't require you to buy a much of mags which you should also figure into your cost.

jrara
12-29-2011, 5:32 PM
The Norinco SKS I got has a threaded on barrel.

Arsenal 636.

Cali-Shooter
12-29-2011, 6:01 PM
If you want a rifle that's GTG without needing to change out or accessorize much or anything on it, go for the SKS.

If you want a rifle that you'll want to convert into all flavors of awesome and change it into a shadow of it's factory stock self, go for the Saiga.

r8dr rider
12-29-2011, 7:05 PM
Saiga hands down. Its basically a baby AK. Once grown up (converted) you have a real Russian AK.

personalsecurityzone
01-06-2012, 8:36 PM
This has been a very interesting thread. Just one think I want to add as a dealer... Arsenal has done very well by our customers. We have sold a lot of Arsenal Saigas and only one needed warranty work that I know of. And, Arsenal is providing 100% warranty fulfillment as promised.

Mary Kay at PersonalSecurityZone.com

SureShot241
01-06-2012, 8:59 PM
I just picked up a Russian SKS. I am IN LOVE with it! My buddy picked up a WASR-10/63. Personally, I would get the SKS over the Saiga.

AK pattern rifle = not going anywhere, will be around and price won't shoot up more then other guns

SKS pattern rifle = no longer manufactured. Price will continue to climb as scarcity sets in.

I feel that you made the right choice picking up the SKS. I would go to this forum for info on your new baby:

www.sksboards.com

1859sharps
01-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Ummm... The Norinco is highly variable. If it has the detachable magazine, it is a no-no here. And in terms of quality, they can be very hit or miss. I have seen some that were well put together. And I have seen some that make the drunken monkeys they have working at Century Arms look like world-class gunsmiths. I had one that had five (yes 5) distinct stages of gritty creep in the trigger, and and finally broke with all the crispness of a rotten banana. I have seen several that had the sights off so badly that you could probably shoot around corners with them. The majority of the Chicom SKSs that were imported in the 1990s were decent enough rifles for the $89 they were selling for. Nothing special. But not horrible either. They were not, however, anywhere near the level of what amounts to a Russian-made AK. Which is what the Saiga is. If you can pick the SKS up for $150-ish, and it is mechanically sound, go for it. Otherwise, the Saiga wins hands down every time.

-Mb

I was never a fan of the SKS, but I had a couple buddies that loved them. So I got to play with a few Norinco SKS. my memory of them is exactly as above.

The only reason to choose the Norinco, they are not imported anymore. So there is some value in it no longer being available "new". HOWEVER, there was a HUGE amount of these things imported, it's NOT like they are all that rare. So I would be dubious of any real investment/appreciation value yet.

Depending on it's condition, the quality, the trigger, and most importantly the price, IF you want to own something that isn't being imported anymore and you really like the SKS, the Norinco...why not. as for appreciation....if you wait long enough anything will have collectors/historical value. I am not all that convinced the Chicom SKS has such desirability and collectors value that you can buy to day for 150 and sell a year later for double. Buy it because you want it and/or think it's cool. not as an investment.

On the other hand, if you want something you know will be solid and is well built, and you will have a lot of options configuration wise, buy the Saiga.

Me...I would buy the Saiga and not look back..but then like I said, I am not a huge fan of the SKS simply out of personal preference.

ZX-10R
01-07-2012, 6:29 PM
If the OP bought the SKS he did his research...The Saiga voters need to read more about commblock rifles moving forward. Thank God for shooters like the Saiga guys so that commblock shooters have more choices when rifles like that go on the block. :cool:

J.S.78
01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
If the OP bought the SKS he did his research...The Saiga voters need to read more about commblock rifles moving forward. Thank God for shooters like the Saiga guys so that commblock shooters have more choices when rifles like that go on the block. :cool:

:thumbsup:

SKSer45
01-09-2012, 10:43 PM

good choice bro. Give it some time and Chinese will be up there in price. Remember SKS' aren't being rolled out of the assembly line any more but lucky for us there are millions of them out there. You don't want to be sitting here 10 years from now when SKS' are over 4 digits.

AK's will be built till the end of time and you find them anywhere. Good news is they both use the same ammo so your good if you want your AK fix as well :)