PDA

View Full Version : Surefire mb556k install

04_e46
11-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Can someone help me install this comp?or post a link that'll show me the steps to installing it...thanks!!!

Plisk
11-29-2011, 11:12 PM
It should have come with instructions to properly install and properly use the provided shims.

X-NewYawker
11-29-2011, 11:15 PM
I had ADDAX do mine. You have to us the proper shim to make the notch on the brake line up with the six o'clock position, then glue the shim and threads with the supplied super glue.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1010091.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/P1010092.jpg

04_e46
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Mine did not come with instructions.

X-NewYawker
11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Call Surefire in the morning and they can EMAIL or fax you the instructions -- did yours come with the SHIMS and GLUE? Did you buy it from a private party?

X-NewYawker
11-29-2011, 11:32 PM
The brake from Surefire comes with several color coded metallic shims -- do NOT use a crushwasher -- and a tube of glue. You cannot install this brake without the shims to index the device

X-NewYawker
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
This video shows you EXACTLY how it is installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EV1gCOJbwk

Droppin Deuces
11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
It's an easy install, but you need to have a vice and receiver jig.

FatalKitty
11-30-2011, 12:26 AM
didn't come with instructions? did it come with rockset and the shims?

from doing the install myself I will give you some tips

1. clean the **** out of the threads... I did this with a toothbrush and brake cleaner for a good 2 minutes.. that was NOT enough... had to remove the brake and clean it a second time.
2. DON'T ignore the torque specs... 20lbs may not seam like much, but the rockset is solid stuff... if you follow step 1 and clean your threads properly, the thing will NOT come off. also, the shims are meant for timing the brake... it should be perfectly at 12 o'clock with the one tapered shim, the instructions have a timing wheel with which shims to use if it doesn't line up (installed 2 of these so far, they both lined up fine)
3. Let is set for the required 24 hours... that is - don't take it out the next morning and shoot it - the rockset needs to SET
4. ENJOY the best brake in existence.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6171/6164343358_b0d3fafd70_b.jpg
look ma! no shims!

EDIT: if you did not get the shims or rockset in your kit... let me know I will mail mine to you.

jgraham15
11-30-2011, 2:41 AM
Can someone help me install this comp?or post a link that'll show me the steps to installing it...thanks!!!

Where are you located? If your near me you can stop by the house and I'll install it for you.

04_e46
11-30-2011, 2:52 AM
Temecula/murrieta...not sure how far that is from Granada hills but that seems far away..haha..thanks for the offer though.

I purchased the comp from rifle gear, it came with all the color coded shims and the little tube of rockset glue but no instructions. If anything I'll probably just e-mail surefire and ask them to send me a copy of the instructions, if not then I'll just bring it into rifle gear next week when I pick up lower.

jgraham15
11-30-2011, 2:57 AM
I'm pretty close to Magic Mountain so it is a bit of a drive but if you need the help don't be afraid to shoot me a PM. I have all the tools and have built dozens of AR's for myself and others.

MacOtac
11-30-2011, 3:38 AM
Take it to Faith Armory, they have a gunsmith in shop usually that can take care of it for you. I had mine installed there. The problem I had with it is I am used to one crush washer and screw it on. With the surfire you have to add the shim's depending on your barrel. It may take a combination of several shim's for you to get it to line up right. So take it to faith, or play around and add more shim's until it seats right.

04_e46
11-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Mac:do you know how much they charge for the install?

MacOtac
11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I had to buy a new mid length gas tube for my rifle so they just charged me that 15$ I think it was. It wont cost much 20$ maybe.... Call them and ask

hnoppenberger
11-30-2011, 12:46 PM
crush washer is totally fine as long as its not being used with a suppressor (they claim it may not be totally inline.)
I'd call BS on that as well, i run mine with a crushwasher and have not looked back. I shoot the heck of out my ar's and dont want to deal with rocksette when having to swap the barrel out once its shot-out.

its a really good brake, but its not like the videos show. you need a heavy barrel and rifle length gas / buffer to achieve the paintball gun-like recoil they show in their product videos.

12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
crush washer is totally fine as long as its not being used with a suppressor

_ +1

CrossedRifles
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
RifleGear installed mine in less than 10 minutes.

HK Dave
12-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Crush washer FTW! :D

FatalKitty
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
crush washer is totally fine as long as its not being used with a suppressor (they claim it may not be totally inline.)
I'd call BS on that as well, i run mine with a crushwasher and have not looked back. I shoot the heck of out my ar's and dont want to deal with rocksette when having to swap the barrel out once its shot-out.

its a really good brake, but its not like the videos show. you need a heavy barrel and rifle length gas / buffer to achieve the paintball gun-like recoil they show in their product videos.

which is what I have - I've had people freak out when they shot it... amazed at it really.

CHS
12-01-2011, 2:09 PM
I shoot the heck of out my ar's and dont want to deal with rocksette when having to swap the barrel out once its shot-out.

Rockset comes right off. It's nowhere near as nice as say, loctite.

The only reason they use rockset is because it will take the heat. But seriously, it's crazy easy to remove a flash-hider that's on with rockset.

FatalKitty
12-01-2011, 3:40 PM
Rockset comes right off. It's nowhere near as nice as say, loctite.

The only reason they use rockset is because it will take the heat. But seriously, it's crazy easy to remove a flash-hider that's on with rockset.

maybe you can come remove mine for me then... and I can install the new barrel on my AR - because I put in on there with 20lbs like the instructions said and used rockset.... it is NOT coming off... I put my body weight on there

CHS
12-01-2011, 4:27 PM
maybe you can come remove mine for me then... and I can install the new barrel on my AR - because I put in on there with 20lbs like the instructions said and used rockset.... it is NOT coming off... I put my body weight on there

Rockset is not designed to be as permanent as say, red loctite. It's just meant as an extreme high-temp thread locker. And it does its job well. But take a normal wrench to it and it pops off pretty easily. Not sure why you're having problems, but I've removed at least a couple dozen muzzle devices secured with rockset and it took nothing more than a proper upper vise and a box wrench.

FatalKitty
12-01-2011, 5:17 PM
when I first installed mine I cleaned the threads up *I thought* pretty good with brake cleaner and a toothbrush. put the rockset on there and then later found that the muzzle device wasn't secure on there like I thought it should be.

I took it off, cleaned up the threads of the barrel and the brake, REAL GOOD and reinstalled - now it's on there.
I have a feeling that most people are short cutting the installed and not cleaning the threads both inside the muzzle device and on the barrel good, and not using the product properly

Plisk
12-11-2011, 1:34 AM
The way to remove Rockset is actually to submerge the muzzle in water overnight. It's high temp resistant, but is water soluble. That came from a Surefire employee.