PDA

View Full Version : High COLD Wind warning for SoCal, starts tomorrow. Be prepared.

TrailerparkTrash
11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I've been following the LA area WX news for the last few days. Starting tomorrow (Wed, Nov 30th) and well into Friday there is a STRONG WIND advisory for the area. Not only strong wind, but it's going to be very cold for us SoCalers. Okay, we've had those winds before, but both Fritz Coleman (KNBC) and Dallas Raines (KABC) (local weather dudes) used the words.... "Hurricane like winds" to describe the Santa Anas that are enroute here.

A "Hurricane" is classified as any wind over 70MPH. Both ABC and NBC weather dudes said "...gusts up to 75MPH" in the Inland Empire and Santa Clarita areas. Now, wether or not the weather guys are correct in predicting this wicked wind, it's just a reminder to be prepared.

I for one, used this opportunity to make sure my generators (all 3) were topped off, along with a lantern next to them to help set them up and start in the dark. I also made my kids round up all the lantern lights in every room and garage and we tested the batteries tonight. (The batteries were all replace just 2 months ago, but was a good practice for the kids anyway.)

I tied down all the yard furniture and secured dog bowls, flowered pots etc.... The last time we had "Hurricane" like winds out here in the Inland Empire was about 5 or 6 years ago. Sure, we get "Santa Anas" every year, but the BIG WINDS about every 5-6. Back then, the wind was so strong, it flipped over several airplanes at Chino and Corona airports, killed power in my street for over a day and.... Ripped off my aluma-wood patio cover!!!!

Anyway, make your Home Depot trips tomorrow morning if you need some basic supplies before the wind hits.

I just hope this wind warning becomes a "dud" and dies out.

Intimid8tor
11-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Good reminder. Norcal has wind advisory as well though we are are just looking at gusts to 55. Should be interesting.

11HE9
11-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I for one, used this opportunity to make sure my generators (all 3) were topped off...

Good idea, everything else is still tied down from the last windy day :(

dirtyJ
11-29-2011, 11:17 PM
The wind up here near Sacramento is the only good weather we ever have. I grew up near Tampa and we had real weather there, not this piddly sprinkles **** that shows up around the Delta area once in a while. Now if it'd only thunder snow for once I'd be happy :).

Fishandshoot
11-29-2011, 11:28 PM
I was planning on going trout fishing at a lake on Thurs. Oh well, next time. 27mph wind and 2lb test fishing line don't mix too well.

hntnnut
11-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Oh that aint nothing we routinely get 100+ gusts over the crest up here through the winter and into spring.

Richard

temecula
11-29-2011, 11:48 PM
thank you for the warning.

Doheny
11-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I've been following the LA area WX news for the last few days....

Why did the below pic pop into my mind when I read that first sentence?

;)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmEnqZDBnvZ_pHEfyAKTKiD_kTyLd_Z LZKQ-G5yZGCdLajmXR05cVp0_H-HQ

llamatrnr
11-30-2011, 12:33 AM
Better make a run to the liquor store!

mschliebs
11-30-2011, 6:55 AM
Well, I am handicapped on this, since I don't have a TV set and get to not watch the I Wing-IT news and the National Hysterical Networks, so I get my weather news from Weather Underground www.wunderground.com

I find it to be fairly reliable, especially so, where wind velocity and direction apply. There are about 20, or so, weather stations currently reporting for the general 91730 area. Currently (6:46 AM 11-30-11) the barometric pressure is 28.67 and dropping which indicates a change in weather. Wind is 2 mph from the NW. But, the forecast for Thursday in the Inland Empire says possible thunder storms with a 20% chance of precipitation. Wind gusts to 50 mph.

chris
11-30-2011, 7:46 AM
Time to fly a kite. Or use an umbrella for some fun.

cannon
11-30-2011, 8:36 AM
We're where the wind backs up and compresses before blowing through a pass. Kinda like an air lake. So according to the Weather Underground we may a couple 50 MPH blasts this afternoon.

FourLoko
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Glad to see it hasn't started yet. I need to spend more time in this section though, I don't even have a decent fleece/jacket/hoody.

Calplinker
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Great, we just put up our Christmas lights. :rolleyes:

swilson
11-30-2011, 1:11 PM
Thanks for the advisory, I'll be hauling a load in my truck out to Borrego tomorrow, and now I'll keep an extra sharp eye out for downed lines and trees, semis and RV's tipped over and such.

twinfin
11-30-2011, 8:45 PM
My Northern California coastal area is getting hit pretty hard right now. The winds started to really pick up in the afternoon and by dark, it's blowing pretty hard with gusts to 45mph. My radio scanner is next to me as I type and fire departments across Santa Cruz County are going nuts responding to power lines down all over the place. A few lines down have started small brush fires but all have been extinguished so far.

Many of the folks in the rural coastal foot hills are without power, myself included. Our power went out this afternoon just before I set out to run a few important errands. When I returned home, power was still out and will likely be that way for the rest of the evening. There were lots of small branches and debris down on the mountain roads as I drove home. I reduced my driving speed and kept my eyes open for downed power lines.

There was just enough daylight left when I got home to pull the generator out and fuel it up without needing to put on my head lamp. My house was wired with a transfer switch at the time of construction. About 25% of the circuits are available to be run on generator power. All the essential lights and plugs needed to get along in comfort run off generator power and I store plenty of fuel to get by for several days without conserving.

I got to use my new siphon hose to fill my Honda EU6500i generators fuel tank. It's the kind of siphon hose with a check valve at one end. Just put the end with the check valve into an elevated fuel container and shake the siphon up and down a few times to start the flow of fuel. This method is way easier than my old method of tilting the fuel can over the generater, pouring fuel into a funnel. I always seemed to spill or splash some fuel even when trying to be careful.

(Use this link if you want to see the siphon hose:
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10801-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322713590&sr=8-3 )

I'm on an elevated ridge (1300') so my place gets rocked pretty good during high wind events. Tonights wind is coming from the north wich hits me just a little less due to a band of sheltering trees compared to the big rain storms that spin out from the south. Those south storms hit me head on and I've recorded some 68+mph gusts from those.

Presently, I'm sitting in front of the wood stove typing out tonights experiences with internet access via wireless connection with a nearby mountain top antenna. Even when power lines go down, I usually always can get internet access since I'm not on a cable connection.

These relatively smaller wind storms have been great opportunities to fine tune procedures and assess readiness. In a more serious or prolonged event, I have every confidence that we'll be able to remain self sufficient.

As this wind storm works it way south, I wish my Calguns brothers and sisters well. Hopefully, your area will be spared any drama but either way, may your preparations carry you through.

BASSTUB
11-30-2011, 9:05 PM
Im in Castaic (Santa Clarita) and it's blowing HARD right now. The power has almost gone out 3 times already...and we're just getting started!

TheChief
11-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I got to use my new siphon hose to fill my Honda EU6500i generators fuel tank. It's the kind of siphon hose with a check valve at one end. Just put the end with the check valve into an elevated fuel container and shake the siphon up and down a few times to start the flow of fuel. This method is way easier than my old method of tilting the fuel can over the generater, pouring fuel into a funnel. I always seemed to spill or splash some fuel even when trying to be careful.

(Use this link if you want to see the siphon hose:
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10801-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322713590&sr=8-3 )

Have you thought about creating an extended run tank system with the Gene? I have the EU2000i with a portable 6.6 gallon tank that will run her for about 2-1/2 days non-stop without refills. You could rig up a similiar system and just swap out the tanks and never have to crack the gas cap or work with exposed fuel around the gene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvFt9Mvqsb8

dirtyJ
11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a window on my patio I keep open just under 1 inch, that 1 inch was enough to blow one of my doors open completely. Granted, the patio was constructed by what seems like a bunch of illiterate wanna be construction workers with zero knowledge of anything, but even so.

Cali-Shooter
12-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Been feeling the cold, stay warm everyone. Extra coats and blankets at night.

Doheny
12-01-2011, 6:55 AM
So far only s gentle breeze where I am but enough to drive my sinus' crazy and make my eyes water!

jyo
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
VERY high winds last night---some of the strongest, longest lasting I've seen. Power went out at least six times---back on this morning. Stock up on batteries and be CAREFUL with them candles!

Stormfeather
12-01-2011, 1:13 PM
Any updates? Has the high winds blown off all the dirt covering the zombies so that they may now roam freely?

XDseb
12-01-2011, 1:24 PM
My friend/coworker lives in Pasadena and said the wind was insane last night. felt like the roof was going to blow off the house. they awoke in the middle of the night to find a roof shingle smash their bedroom window. they were ok but, they didnt get any sleep after that. the entire city is in state of emergency, pretty nuts. of course...power is out.

Doheny
12-01-2011, 1:56 PM
My friend/coworker lives in Pasadena and said the wind was insane last night. felt like the roof was going to blow off the house. they awoke in the middle of the night to find a roof shingle smash their bedroom window. they were ok but, they didnt get any sleep after that. the entire city is in state of emergency, pretty nuts. of course...power is out.

Looks like they got their butts kicked in Pas.

Pasadena fire inspectors red-tagged 42 buildings damaged by strong winds, and an additional 200 must be evaluated before a second storm hits the region Thursday night, officials said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/pasadena-winds-red-tagged.html

Dutch3
12-01-2011, 5:06 PM
Any updates? Has the high winds blown off all the dirt covering the zombies so that they may now roam freely?

The zombies always roam free in Oroville on the 1st of the month LOL.

We had the high wind warnings up here as well, but the end result wasn't too bad. Just a typical north wind event. I hope all you So Cal folks got through it OK.

AdidasCJ
12-01-2011, 5:14 PM
Parts of So Cali and getting just SLAMMED! Some areas saw 30-100mph gust! People without power down in the valleys. Here in Apple Valley, in the high desert, im getting news says about 30mph sustained wind at times. and its COLD cause the big bear mountain ranges with snow. Plus its been overcast here all day. Some Big Rigs on their sides on the Cajon Pass. (standard in high winds)

But what im seeing is some people are lost with out power do there! hell im ready for the power to go out here. We live in Cali, this shouldn't be something that catches us by surprise!

Stormfeather
12-01-2011, 5:15 PM
bleh. . . was hoping on a full blown zombie event! (pun intended!)

WokMaster1
12-01-2011, 7:59 PM
so what size generator does one need to keep 2 refrigerators running, run the washer/dryer, heater/fan, TV & laptop (not all at once, of course)

thenodnarb
12-01-2011, 8:28 PM
so what size generator does one need to keep 2 refrigerators running, run the washer/dryer, heater/fan, TV & laptop (not all at once, of course)

That's a tall order. All depends on what you are running at once. You could probably run two fridges just barely on a 2kw unit as long as they are modern, low energy fridges. Washer dryer could run on a 2k as well as long as the dryer is gas. electric heater depending on size would take most of what a 2kw genny has. A fan doess't take much. TV and laptop only needs maybe a 1kw genny.

a 2kw gen is basically equivalent of one 15 amp house breaker. So if you run lights, TV and a fridge all on one breaker, you could make due with a 2kw.

A honda eu2000i is in my future at some point. If the power goes out, maybe sooner than later.

WokMaster1
12-01-2011, 8:37 PM
That's a tall order. All depends on what you are running at once. You could probably run two fridges just barely on a 2kw unit as long as they are modern, low energy fridges. Washer dryer could run on a 2k as well as long as the dryer is gas. electric heater depending on size would take most of what a 2kw genny has. A fan doess't take much. TV and laptop only needs maybe a 1kw genny.

a 2kw gen is basically equivalent of one 15 amp house breaker. So if you run lights, TV and a fridge all on one breaker, you could make due with a 2kw.

A honda eu2000i is in my future at some point. If the power goes out, maybe sooner than later.

Thanks. So 2 kw is approximately 2000 watts? Would something like this be enough? http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Generators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbree/R-202527679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Dutch3
12-01-2011, 8:56 PM
Thanks. So 2 kw is approximately 2000 watts? Would something like this be enough? http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Generators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbree/R-202527679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Better this, more capability for less money.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=champion+4000+watt+portable+generator&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3605836448369827508&sa=X&ei=MFrYTpKZI4niiALvlaXLCQ&ved=0CHIQ8wIwAA

Icypu
12-01-2011, 9:09 PM
Hi guys,

I am in S Pasadena and running internet off my laptop with my modem/router on dry cell 100AMP battery bank. If my power goes out, I can say that today I had to stay in from work. On mission street there were branches and leaf limbs. I have been without power since 12am this morning, and water has been on for 4 hours. I ran my generator to charge up my battery banks, and my fridge for 3 hours before sunset.

Since my handgun is in the shop, all I have is the ARF incase of zombies.

Doheny
12-01-2011, 9:23 PM
/\ Stay warm and stay safe...oh, and you need another gun!