PDA

View Full Version : Breaking-IN a Brand New AR ~ Procedure ...

.40Cal
11-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey guys,

I'll be getting a brand new Spikes Tactical AR soon. I've ordered it, should be in my hands soon. Just wanted to know what's the break-in process? I know there's a break in process for cars, guns, even new brakes or tires, etc... most things have a break-in process that lays down the initial foundation. Plz educate me about AR's.

Thanks in advance!

msand951
11-29-2011, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

mrvash
11-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm too, wondering about this

Juice5610
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Shoot it all day. Drive home and clean it if you want. Then take it out and shoot it all day again. Repeat.

Juice5610
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Let me look for a vid made by a high end barrel maker. Where he says that people do more damage cleaning their barrels then shooting them.

Merc1138
11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Did you not see the video that msand951 posted? There is no break-in period. They either function correctly "out of the box" or they don't. There is no testing that has shown any amount of barrel cleaning between individual or small groupings of shots helps break-in a barrel. If the gas system is not functioning correctly when it is new, then it needs to be fixed. If the bolt carrier has a rough finish and cannot slide properly through the upper receiver then it needs to be replaced.

If you want your AR working properly when it's already in proper working order, keep it lubed. Gun break-in is an old wives tale of the gun world, there is absolutely no proof it does anything except cause you to put more wear on your equipment than you would have before considering it to be "ready".

edit: Modern manufacturing techniques don't leave all of the crappy machining marks(rough surfaces), uneven surfaces, imperfections in forgings, etc. that existed 50+ years ago.

You even mention cars, brakes, and tires... do you really think F1 puts hundreds of miles on their tires and brakes before putting them on the cars? Heck no. Yet they definitely care a lot more about performance differences that would be negligible at best to the average commuter(by the time they would "break in" those parts they're tossing them in the trash and replacing them).

Juice5610
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
VwhOXV7lmYk&feature=channel_video_title

jokat989
11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
step1. shoot a thousand rounds
step2. clean gun
step3. go back to step1

MilitaryArms
11-30-2011, 9:49 AM
AR break in procedure:

1) load magazine
2) insert magazine
3) charge weapon
4) aim and fire, repeat until magazine is empty
5) repeat as necessary
6) take home, clean
7) back to step 1

Beelzy
11-30-2011, 9:55 AM
Just shoot it, but don't use crap ammo in it.

arc
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
While I agree with everyone here that there is no real break-in procedure, whenever I get a new gun of any type I do follow a series of tests just to make sure it functions properly.

This is all in addition to the normal function tests and initial dry firing and cleaning you would normally do with a new gun.

First I load a magazine with 1 round and chamber and fire it. Check to make sure the bolt locks back if it's supposed to and everything seems to be working right.

Next I load a mag with 2 rounds and chamber and fire them. This is to make sure it isn't broken or assembled wrong and isn't doubling or going full-auto or something else stupid. (I was especially worried about this when I assembled my AR because it was the first time I had done so and was only going by online videos and tutorials)

Finally I just load up a full mag and have fun.

At the end of my range session for that first day I check all the screws and bits and make sure nothing has broken or started to shake loose. I field strip the gun for cleaning and take a look at all the parts I can see to check for unusual wear from just a first range session.

Most likely this is all completely unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.

-James

OffGrid
11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
All I ever do with a new AR build is lube it, function check it and shoot it. Heck I donít really ďbreak inĒ a new engine or tranny build for that matter. Some do, but grandpa didnít, dad didnít and things work just fine so I donít.

I do only use good brass ammo for the first couple hundred rounds just in case there is a problem I can rule out several variables right off the bat. Not needed but it has helped me find problems like tight chambers faster.

Take it out, be safe, have fun and shoot it.

And congrats on your first AR, and a good one to boot.

Fiveohmike
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LvPjreNjg

Dave07997S
11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Shoot it all day. Drive home and clean it if you want. Then take it out and shoot it all day again. Repeat.

This...

discoed
11-30-2011, 11:24 AM
My personal experience. I was in the Army when we switched from M16 to M4. First thing we did was clean all packing grease from it. Then out to the range to zero. Then, nothing but range time followed by deployments. That rifle shot exactly where it needed to every time without fail. Like someone mentioned, either it works properly or it doesn't.

The only issue we saw with a couple M4's was inability to zero weapon. Those were sent back to get replaced.

Have fun putting brass down range and most of all, be safe.

zfields
11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
There you go with the damn ~ again.