PDA

View Full Version : Questions about building Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97

nick
11-29-2011, 9:11 PM
Well, my previous thread on finding stripped lowers proved to be a quick success (thank you, Calguns :)), so I just have to keep the questions coming.

I'm building two AR pistols (and yes, I put the thread in Centerfire Rifles, since it's an AR, and the AR people are more likely to congregate here) similar to Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_AZ-C15P97.asp . There'll be none of that silly carbon fiber lower/upper (where am I gonna find them, anyway), it'll be all aluminum, with a proper dust cover and brass deflector, which the original lacks. Here's the picture of the inspiration and parts donor for this build:

http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/c15_large/AZ-C15P97_l.jpg

Now, I have collected most of the parts for the build, as follows:

Pistol 1

Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97 fluted 7.25" barrel (which started the build)
BCM complete upper with M4 ramps
RRA chromed BCG
nick1 (or whatever model I decide to call it) lower that started its life as a Tactical Machining 80% AR-15 forging
Palmetto State Armory pistol build kit (RRA-like pistol buffer tube/buffer/buffer spring, PSA LPK, Magpul ASAP)
Exile Machine pistol buffer tube foam sleeve
Regular BCM charging handle (not a Gunfighter) I had laying around
Assault Planet BB

Pistol 2

Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97 fluted 7.25" barrel
Aero Precision complete upper with M4 ramps
No-name phosphated BCG (will probably have it treated with MicroSlick)
nick1 nick1 (or whatever model I decide to call it) lower that started its life as a Colfax Tactical 80% AR-15 forging
Palmetto State Armory pistol build kit (RRA-like pistol buffer tube/buffer/buffer spring, PSA LPK, Magpul ASAP)
Exile Machine pistol buffer tube foam sleeve
Bushmaster 4" pistol handguard
Regular no-name charging handle I had laying around
Assault Planet BB

I might modify all of this in the future. However, you have probably noticed that some things are conspicuously missing from the parts lists above, and this is where I need Calguns help - I need to find the damn things.

These Bushmaster barrels have .5" diameter at the gas block. Bushmaster has this gas block/front sight assembly for its Carbon 15 Type 97 pistol. However, while they still list the pistol on their site, according to the Bushmaster person I talked to on the phone today Bushmaster is planning to discontinue this pistol and doesn't have any of these gas blocks in stock, and has no plans to have them in stock. I guess, they're not expected to break in the future... So, if anyone knows where I can get these, has them for sale, or has any ideas of where I might look for them (and yes, I did try Numrich and Gunbroker. I'm about to post on ar15.com, as well), plase, let me know.

Another nice thing that Bushmaster came up with but wouldn't let me have it is the QuickDetach Compensator. This compensator was designed for Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97 pistol, and it snaps into the cuts on the front of the barrel. Same thing, if you know where I can get them, please, let me know.

I'd like to use those parts as they were designed for the pistol I'm building, and dimensionally they should coexist just fine.

Thank you in advance. I'll post the pictures of the completed builds when I'm done.

nick
11-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Bump.

nick
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Bump.

nick
12-11-2011, 9:04 PM
Bump, still can't find them.