View Full Version : Salty's Simple Striker (Magnesium Fire Starter DIY)

11-29-2011, 5:00 PM
I've been using these magnesium fire starters since I was a kid, and they work great... except for the part about not including a striking / shaving tool. The instructions typically tell you to use a pocket knife, but who wants to mess up their nice $100 knife? Even if you use the back side of the knife, it tends to leave marks. Enter Salty's Simple Striker (and shaver). Find yourself a Sawzall (reciprocating saw) blade and shorten it. To shorten mine, I simply bent it against my work bench until it snapped. Easier than you might think. Next, grind the teeth off the blade and round the corners so you don't cut your hand using it. Now before turning the grinder off, decide which edge you want to strike with and give it a nice sharp square edge. A square edge both shaves and strikes better than a knife edge. Finally, should you wish to do so, add a strip of hockey tape to the back edge, toss that stubby metal lanyard in the trash, and make yourself a nice flexible 7-8" lanyard out of whatever random lanyard making material you have (conveniently, the saw blade already has a hole in the end). I used paracord guts, just because I happen to have gutted a lot of paracord in the past.

The finished product not only saves your fancy schmancy knife, BUT it also scrapes and strikes a whole lot better than any knife I've ever used.

11-30-2011, 9:59 AM
Great idea! I'm going to have to make one.