PDA

View Full Version : the little guy and his big gun problem

tecate_gt5
11-29-2011, 5:06 PM
do any of you guy's and gals of a smaller frame love a pistol of any brand ,sig for me, but there just a bit to big to hold. like to get a good grip for the trigger pull is NOT the same grip you need for your safety or mag release or any other feature your preferred pistol may have.

what do all of you do to cope? i love the new sig sp2022 but its just a hair bit to be comfortable. where as a glock 19/23 fits nice its different but it works.

G-forceJunkie
11-29-2011, 5:34 PM
Stop trying to "love" something that egronomically does not fit for you. Thats like trying to make yourself enjoy wearing size 13 shoes on your size 8 feet. People put way too much stock in "hype" "advertizing" "personal feelings" etc. when choosing guns. Its a tool, make it fit you and the situation, then practice as much as you can with it to be safe and proficient. If you still gotta "love" it, buy it, and stuff it in the safe.

tecate_gt5
11-29-2011, 5:37 PM
its not the hype or advertising, a friend has one i shot it, everything about was awesome exempt it being a hair big

Vinrx7
11-29-2011, 5:50 PM
Not sure about the sig but most pistols with polymer frames have interchangeable grips. So you can go smaller to fit your hand. You could always go to the range and rent to find what fits you.

tecate_gt5
11-29-2011, 5:51 PM
Not sure about the sig but most pistols with polymer frames have interchangeable grips. So you can go smaller to fit your hand. You could always go to the range and rent to find what fits you.

thanks for the tips on the range ill do that

stix213
11-29-2011, 5:52 PM
I have small hands, so you're describing most pistols for me :p

Fishslayer
11-29-2011, 5:58 PM
what do all of you do to cope? i love the new sig sp2022 but its just a hair bit to be comfortable. where as a glock 19/23 fits nice its different but it works.

Why did the G**** reference surprise me not? Just get the effen G****, put a fresh ironing to your flatbill and go have fun.

Might want a set of these to go with it....

http://www.mileanhour.com/files/2011/1/homeboy.jpg

InGrAM
11-29-2011, 6:01 PM
Buy a Sig p239 it was designed for shooters with "smaller" hands.

morfeeis
11-29-2011, 6:01 PM
for me i like compact firearms: but with my freakishly large hands i dont feel safe shooting them.

huckberry668
11-29-2011, 6:14 PM
If Glock 19 'fits' you nice then it's just a matter getting used to the P2022. I have large hands and my Glock 19's mag release is out of reach of my thumb when my trigger finger is in proper position to shoot.

What you need to be concerned is your grip position that gives you the best trigger control. Trigger control is the only thing that lets you hit anything other than sight alignment. Adjust your grip till you get the best trigger control.

the P2022's safety (drops the hammer) and mag /catch/release is deliberately out of reach for a reason. Think about it, you wouldn't want to be dropping the mag or hammer in critical moments. In fact, most handguns' mag release are out of reach to most hands.

sammy
11-29-2011, 6:48 PM
The good news is the 1911 is great for folks that have smaller hands. A buddy of mine has girly hands, runs his 1911's with slim grips and a short trigger.

If you like Sigs they make single stack .45, 9mm and .40's. The Smith & Wesson 3rd. generation pistols are very similar in function. The only difference being the safety/decocker. These can be run hammer down, safety off.

Where are you located? I have some guns that should work for you. If you are willing to come out to USI in Concord lets meet up!!

Sammy

himurax13
11-29-2011, 6:56 PM
I have small hands, so you're describing most pistols for me :p
Same here. I don't think there are any pistols in production that I can release the magazine with my thumb, even with an extended release installed. I usually set the release for left hand use, that allows me to drop a mag with my trigger finger. My gen 3 glock forces me to break my grip.

a1c
11-29-2011, 7:00 PM
Same here. I don't think there are any pistols in production that I can release the magazine with my thumb, even with an extended release installed. I usually set the release for left hand use, that allows me to drop a mag with my trigger finger. My gen 3 glock forces me to break my grip.

Not being able to accidentally drop the mag is actually kind of a blessing for some of us with smaller hands.

Same thing for me. I've been practicing speed unloading and reloading - it's all about practice, really.

JaeOne3345
11-29-2011, 7:12 PM

Regarding reaching the magazine release:

Don't let this make or break a decision to choose a gun.

Most of the top shooters cannot reach the magazine release without shifting their grip.

Flipping the gun is a skill like anything else, and Lord knows I'm still working at it myself.

Check out Max Michel. He's got a mean *** flip:
XXVNypPUGto

But hey, using a left hand mag release for a right hander is also a valid technique.

Jethro Dionisio uses his support hand thumb to hit the mag release quickly while reaching for a new mag, which keeps him from having to shift his strong hand grip at all.

Dhena81
11-29-2011, 7:14 PM
I'm surprised no one has already mentioned the fact that you can put Sig's new E2 grips for a smaller grip circumference and you can install Sig's short trigger. With those two combined you will definitely will be able to resolve the problem of the gun being a tad too big.

shortround1
11-29-2011, 7:26 PM
Why did the G**** reference surprise me not? Just get the effen G****, put a fresh ironing to your flatbill and go have fun.

Might want a set of these to go with it....

http://www.mileanhour.com/files/2011/1/homeboy.jpg

All he did was mention that the Glock 19 is a good fit for his hands, and you went all ape5h1t. I've been on here for 10 minutes tonight and this is the second thread in which you blasted an OP for asking a valid question.

Fishslayer
11-29-2011, 8:16 PM
I've been on here for 10 minutes tonight and this is the second thread in which you blasted an OP for asking a valid question.

That wasn't blasting. I don't blast.

But fair enough... How's this?

"Just put the smaller grips on the SIG. They are tiny. They come with the gun. It takes five minutes."

Better?:D

bsg
11-29-2011, 8:36 PM
All he did was mention that the Glock 19 is a good fit for his hands, and you went all ape5h1t. I've been on here for 10 minutes tonight and this is the second thread in which you blasted an OP for asking a valid question.

i appreciate your sensitivity, but i don't believe Fishslayer was blasting the OP. he was being playful imo, and giving an opinion. when someone gets blasted around here... there's no humor mixed in with it, and there's no mistaking it.

Gryff
11-29-2011, 9:10 PM
XD, M&P, and CZ are all good choices for smaller hands.

Newshooter
11-29-2011, 9:36 PM
I'm surprised no one has already mentioned the fact that you can put Sig's new E2 grips for a smaller grip circumference and you can install Sig's short trigger. With those two combined you will definitely will be able to resolve the problem of the gun being a tad too big.

I was amazed at how well the E2 grips made the Sig fit. I thought I would never be able to comfortably shoot a Sig but the E2's made a huge difference. I also shoot an M&P with the small backstrap and it is extremely comfortable. Good luck on your search for the perfect fit.

Go Navy
11-29-2011, 9:46 PM
Go to a gun shop and handle a Ruger SR9 (not the compact version although you could try it, too), and see how it feels for you. It has a narrower grip, even though it is designed for a double stack mag.

canative
11-29-2011, 9:52 PM
I have small to med. size hands and shoot a Glock 20 and 22 with no problems. Just takes practice to adjust and shift your hand over to hit the mag release.

beretta929mm
11-30-2011, 4:28 PM
Big guns will feel small if you handle them often. It is all about practice.

himurax13
11-30-2011, 5:14 PM
Big guns will feel small if you handle them often. It is all about practice.

I dunno, some guns will feel like bricks no matter how much you handle them.

i.e. Glock 20/21, HK USP, CZ 97, the "Deagle" :D

Rocket Man
11-30-2011, 7:14 PM
Springfield EMP 9 or 40, 1911 with the smallest diameter grip

BigDogatPlay
11-30-2011, 7:18 PM
Buy a Sig p239 it was designed for shooters with "smaller" hands.

I have large hands and my P239 is a dream. OP could also consider a P225 if he can find one.

gorenut
11-30-2011, 7:59 PM
Get what fits. I have medium to large hands and I fell into the same trap of really wanting to love Sigs - but they just didn't sit well with me. 3 P226s and a SP2022 later, I own no more Sigs. Glocks, revolvers, and CZs (about to own one, but I've shot em quite a bit) for me now. Still like Sigs, but I shoot other guns better.

Exposed
11-30-2011, 8:13 PM
If you have small hands, Im surprised the Glock fits you better than the Sig SP2022. I have small hands and I love the functionality and reliability of my Glock 19, but, I hate the blocky grip. If it werent for that "hump" the grip has, I would love it. I also have a Sig SP2022 and it feels great in my small hands. The polymer grip is not as large as the steel Sigs. I also love the really light/smooth trigger pull on the SP2022, however, the stock reset on the glock is much shorter.

bsg
11-30-2011, 8:21 PM
the Sig Sauer P225 is an ergonomic dream gun. it is most notable for it's user friendliness to those with small hands. those with large hands typically do well with the P225 as well. my w german P225 is one i'd not part with.

TahoeSig
11-30-2011, 8:49 PM
I'll give the E2/short trigger mod a +1. I converted one of my P229s (?1994 production) to this plus the short reset trigger mod. Great fit, nice action, wonderful CCW weapon.

chiselchst
11-30-2011, 8:55 PM
I do not think I have big hands (but I do have big feet :D), but to me, a double stack Para feels just perfect for my grip! I love my single stack 1911's, but they are not just the same.

With all of the choices out there, and many coming with grip adjustable peices, I imagine most can find a grip size that are just right for them...?

Lots of pistols/frame sizes out there, have you tried most of them?

Good luck!