PDA

View Full Version : Registering an SBR...?

s0calflip
11-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I was wondering what do i do to register an SBR? i know there is a tax fee of $200. but do i build the rifle first then have it registered as an SBR? how does this work? please help...THANKS!

HK Dave
11-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Step #1: Move to a state that allows you to have an SBR, if you are attempting to do this in Ventura County, you can not register an SBR and if caught with one DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200, GO TO JAIL. :P

Step #2: If you don't plan to move and really want an SBR here in CA, you must get the Sheriff of Ventura County to approve your application for an SBR. :D

stix213
11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
California has its own separate law banning SBRs, so step one is to move out of state.

Plywood
11-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Step 1: Move out of CA.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

It's almost impossible to get NFA items in CA.

reidnez
11-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Become an SOT dealer/mfr. or a Hollywood prop master ;).

Seriously, other than that, it's nigh-on-impossible for an individual to get one here.

s0calflip
11-29-2011, 11:58 AM
ohhhh!! now i know. thanks guys!!

cmace22
11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Closest thing to an SBR in cali for us common folk would be a pistol build.

technique
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
If you aren't in Ca. and you're going the personal SBR route...

If you're building your own:
Don't be in possession of your short upper until you're approved.

Take the lower you wish to SBR have it engraved with your name, city and state.

Fill out an ATF Form1 with info for said lower and the specs you wish to build it to.

Once you have filled out that Form1 print 3 copies.
Get 2 passport photos taken (Walgreens-Walmart)
Attach the passport photos to 2 of the 3 copies of the Form1

Go to your local Sheriff or CLEO have him sign all 3 copies and keep one of the copies with the passport photo. You'll be fingerprinted while you're there.

Send the 2 remaining copies of the Form1's (signed), your fingerprint cards and a check in the amount of $200.00 to the ATF.

Wait 60-90 days for your approved Form1.
Once you're approved you can build your SBR and be in possession of it. Keep a copy of that approved Form1 with you and the weapon when out and about.

That's about it. The lovely ladies at the Sheriff's office call me by my
first name and rush me along the process. :p

technique
11-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh...nevermind then.

Rebellious
11-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Build a pistol, they are fun to shoot and the closest thing to an SBR.

Nathan Krynn
11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
If you aren't in Ca. and you're going the personal SBR route...

If you're building your own:
Don't be in possession of your short upper until you're approved.

Take the lower you wish to SBR have it engraved with your name, city and state.

Fill out an ATF Form1 with info for said lower and the specs you wish to build it to.

Once you have filled out that Form1 print 3 copies.
Get 2 passport photos taken (Walgreens-Walmart)
Attach the passport photos to 2 of the 3 copies of the Form1

Go to your local Sheriff or CLEO have him sign all 3 copies and keep one of the copies with the passport photo. You'll be fingerprinted while you're there.

Send the 2 remaining copies of the Form1's (signed), your fingerprint cards and a check in the amount of $200.00 to the ATF.

Wait 60-90 days for your approved Form1.
Once you're approved you can build your SBR and be in possession of it. Keep a copy of that approved Form1 with you and the weapon when out and about.

That's about it. The lovely ladies at the Sheriff's office call me by my
first name and rush me along the process. :p

This.

I do the NFA trust route. With that I don't need finger printing, passport photo, or sheriff sig (good thing as ours wont sign). Plus all the trusties can have possession of the NFA item and when I die they go on to the beneficiaries without problems.

s0calflip
11-29-2011, 2:38 PM
my first thought was to build the AR pistol, but wanted info about the SBR also. seems as though an AR pistol would be the easier way to go.

zfields
11-29-2011, 2:41 PM
my first thought was to build the AR pistol, but wanted info about the SBR also. seems as though an AR pistol would be the only way to go.

Fixed