View Full Version : M1A National Match question

11-29-2011, 5:20 AM
I'm the new guy here....I have a couple of questions about the Springfield M1A National Match rifle.
My beloved wife is going to get the aforementioned rifle for me for Christmas. Several things about this version appeal to me: The mid-weight barrel and the stock bedding being the most important.
I would like to scope the rifle but I want to be able to use the iorn sights as well. I have seen some stand-off mounts for the Scout, Socom and Loaded versions but cant seem to find any for the N.M. (or, rather, none that specifically state N.M.)
The thing I REALLY want is the rail and mount that sits forward of the action.
I'm lead to believe on the forum and some others that this kind of set-up is hard to come by because of the barrel diameter.
I'm between a rock and a hard place because I want the N.M. but would settle for a loaded and have the stock bedding done for me. (I'm not beyond doing it myself but don't think it wise to do my first bedding job on a 15 to 2 k rifle)
Thanks in advance for the help,
Dave in Bama

11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
The one factory option is to get the vltor/springfield rail cluster. Get the extended one that attaches to the stripper clip guide. Bedded stock is a nice feature but if you disassemble the rifle enough, the bedding loosen up.

11-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I bought a loaded...sent it back to Springfield after a hairline crack in the stock and asked that the next stock be bedded to action and barrel for the inconvenience. They did it and it...I now have a National Match M1A.

There are many available mounts that allow for use of iron sights.

I use a 3rd generation 3 point mount that has never moved with a little help from locktite.

11-29-2011, 10:51 AM
IMO. The Nation Match is a little over price for what you are getting, hooded rear sight, and bedded stock. I would go with the loaded.
If you really want to mount the scope that much forward, might consider the Sage EBR stock. It will give you yours mount location and bedded stock, but it will ruin the m1a look.

11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
If you're not getting a Super Match to compete with iron sights, and want to scope the rifle, a Loaded with an extended cluster rail is a much better option for you. It has a Match barrel and a fiberglas stock if you go that way. With ANY M1A you'll need a cheekpiece to use a scope, and the M21 style stock is in your future. PM me if you want more details I have owned around 30 M1As in all configurations.

11-29-2011, 2:14 PM
As far as mounting optics goes, the Loaded and the NM will use the same hardware.

11-29-2011, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, Fellas. Well, its too late. I went and ordered a N.M. about two hours ago. I have ordered several 'shooting iorns' from him before but never like this. I think he is as hyped up as I am.
One further question: Will the accessories that fit the Loaded, Scout and Socom fit the N.M. or is the barrel diameter going to be too much?
X-New Yawker, Pretty much what I'm looking for is the rail job like on the pic of your o.d. green rifle. The only difference is I'll have the walnut stock. I have seen a picture of a full length rail that allowed you to mount different scopes in different configurations. But regardless of what set-up I use, I want to be able to fall back on my iorn sights. I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I was taught that only a knuckle-head would rely on artificial optics for survival.Over time, I will probably add several toys....long and short range scopes, to put on the rifle. I figure the Pic. rail is the way to go.
Take care,
Dave in Bama

11-29-2011, 2:33 PM
Sorry, 30 cal. You must have slipped in on me while I was typing! Thank you!

11-29-2011, 2:38 PM
They all use the same reciever; so if you mount there, there's no issues.

The NM and Loaded barrels are medium weight. They have a large diameter up to the oprod guide which is located halfway up the handguard. I'm not sure if anyone makes a barrel mount that will fit.

Shop around. Many of the receiver mounts come off without much fuss. Also, the stock is cut for iron sights, so unless you go with a cheekrest, you're head is poorly situated for good work with the scope. It's worth spending money on a good mount; the cheaper options a NOTORIOUS for shooting loose (i.e. be prepared to either glue it in place or tighten screws between shots).