PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the palmetto upper..

CK_32
11-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Reviews... I see a lot of people reccomending them because they are cheap.

Anyone shot a few thou rounds yet? How do they hold up?

I figured I'd see a few reviews.. Do they hold are they ok amazing what's up?

Revolver Ocelot
11-29-2011, 12:45 AM
I have one of their 20" complete uppers. Its my first AR and besides a little short stroke hiccup when i first got it its been fine.

Sent it back to them since it was covered under warranty and they were even cool enough to put a triangle handguard cap on for me at my request.

Have put 1000+ rounds through it after i got it back and its been flawless.

roushstage2
11-29-2011, 2:46 AM
I almost started a thread about this as well. It's come down to the RG (DD) upper or the PSA upper for me. However, I too have not seen any reviews about the PSA uppers.

CK_32
11-29-2011, 1:04 PM
Ok well we got one...

I'm just wondering because I see all these people highly reccomending them and talking anout how good of uppers they are but yet don't hear a peep about them besides how they should be picked over other uppers because they are $100 to $200 cheaper..

triggs75
11-29-2011, 1:18 PM
Which upper did you end up getting?

loosewreck
11-29-2011, 1:35 PM
There's several in other gun forums, but only time can really tell. From what I've read so far, it really looks like PSA is making a serious effort to be a reputable dealer. Its actually been very interesting to watch it evolve as a company.

animossity
11-29-2011, 1:40 PM
Curious about these as well, tempted to buy the one with the aimpoint pro optic for $999.

Caseless
11-29-2011, 1:50 PM
There's several in other gun forums, but only time can really tell. From what I've read so far, it really looks like PSA is making a serious effort to be a reputable dealer. Its actually been very interesting to watch it evolve as a company.

+1. Give it a year and if feedback is still scarce by this time next year, it means quality is good.;)

DirtFarmer916
11-29-2011, 1:57 PM
You have to consider little to no reviews as a good thing. Most internet posting is complaining about something. So if the people are being quiet about it then they're happy! I almost ordered one, however went into a a local shop and got a Stag upper for about the same price. Those 12" uppers look cute though :)

chesterthehero
11-29-2011, 3:30 PM
PSA is working on being the new BCM but the price is better so theres not as much leghumping...

its one of those "no one brags about banging the super hot chick from taco bell but everyone brags about bangin the same girl now that she works at hooters" sorta things

CK_32
11-29-2011, 3:37 PM
Idk anytime I buy something on the cheap and it works as well as the big expensive Gus I'm going to spread that like wild fire to get all my friends and everyone else to stop wasting their money on the big name toys and go for the cheaper but same quality stuff that way maybe the higher price guys will jump on the band wagon and we can get prices down.

Or even brag my $500 rig can out shoot your $1200 rig. I see no reviews as a bad thing and everyone either not being satisfied but not mad enough to complain just not up to par and it being what you pay for so they just pawn it off and sell it off to the next guy. Around calguns I notice more bragging than complaints unless it's a concern or just out right horrible. Which I see as a good thing because it gets the word out about the great products the eh products don't get talked about and the horrible ones get called out.

And I see this as being an eh.. So idk.. Where are all the palmetto upper buys even at? Only seen one actual user... Those are the guys I'm trying to bring out.

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 3:41 PM
PSA is working on being the new BCM but the price is better so theres not as much leghumping...

its one of those "no one brags about banging the super hot chick from taco bell but everyone brags about bangin the same girl now that she works at hooters" sorta things

Excellent analogy. I got the 16 inch M4 carbine rifle kit a short time ago and just got it to the point that I could take it out and shoot. I was only able to put a couple hundred rounds through it as I had the wife and kids with me. While the wife does enjoy shooting, she doesn't like making it an all day thing. Obviously, a couple hundred isn't a thousand, but it did function without a hiccup. (as well as it better) I am planning another trip between Christmas and New Year with some friends so I should be able to pump a few through her at that time.
With that said, it is my first AR so take that at it's worth.

RAMCHARGER
11-29-2011, 3:45 PM

Actually I think she worked at Del-Taco but I was drinking at the time... :)

Revolver Ocelot
11-29-2011, 3:47 PM
My buddy also picked up a midlength stainless upper from them. Thing was pretty amazing. Out of the box i was able to hit the steel plate out at 300 yards 8 out of 10 times with irons. Not really pacing shots either, just one right after the other.

It was getting alot of funny looks from the guys with the spotting scopes and clamped down scoped rifles.

FastFinger
11-29-2011, 3:54 PM
Took mine out for the first time last week. About 200 rnds of Yugo ammo and 100 Remington. Had one FTF, but traced that to a 10/20 magul pmag, a round got cockeyed and didn't fully present, not a rifle error. Other than that it was a flawless day at the range. Sighted in a cheap Bushnell red dot. Didn't have good support sandbags etc, but did okay at 100 yds.

Fit and finish (PSA lower also) is really good (finish on some of the other lower priced uppers seem like a weak spot), feed ramps line up, everything is straight & true, tight fit between upper & lower.

We'll see how it is in a few thousand rounds, although there's no indication that it will be anything less than stellar, from what I can tell all the various parts are of high quality. For right now I have nothing but praise for the product and company.

^Rb
11-29-2011, 4:00 PM
There are plenty of reviews... not too many on this site though.

Consensus is they're pretty good...

FN finishes their barrels (PSA doesn't buy finished blanks from FN). BCG is properly staked, feed ramps are good to go.

I've read of some slight QC issues with the wrong bolts being sent with the wrong rifles, but those were fairly isolated and by all accounts, PSA rectified the problem.

Customer service is supposedly pretty good. Still a small operation though, so I'm not sure how customer service is, but I'm sure as they scale up, this will improve.

Not sure if this helps the OP... I certainly haven't heard/read of anybody who shot 2K rounds in a weekend with one of these at a carbine class, but based on the specs & testing, I would assume they'd withstand [some level of] hard abuse.

If you're trying to compare PSA offerings to other really-budget brands (CMMG, RRA, Stag, Del-Ton, etc.), it's pretty much a no-brainer... PSA is going to win-out every single time. Only time will tell if they can achieve both the perceived and proven level of reliability of brands such as LMT, Colt, Noveske, DD, Spikes, etc.

Dead*Reckoned
11-29-2011, 4:01 PM
Psa is great, my friend has one

msand951
11-29-2011, 4:04 PM
Just got mine in yesterday . Havent shot it yet but look and finish is good. Its going to be a while to see reviews. I purchased it not because of actual reviews of people who have used them . But ive seen mostly people recommending them cause of their specs and price. Comparing them to other brands specs . So for the price Id give it a try . I was going to build a upper but this one has everything I wanted and cheaper so I went with it. Cheaper ARs can hold up. I figure just my OPINION these should be fine.
But if your looking for a Filthy 14 BCM type review or test . Well its going to be a while. Heres some pics.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/303086_166255626806297_100002655823624_262739_8078 37645_n.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/309068_166255833472943_100002655823624_262740_5127 33795_n.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/374029_166256003472926_100002655823624_262744_1925 54839_n.jpg

I have it featureless so while I do practice marksmanship. I also love to do 30rd. mag dumps. If it doensnt hold up well bump firing with reloads, wolf and other ammo I will post that it sucks . But give me a while Ive been sick like a dog . Hopefully I can go this weekend.

1forall
11-29-2011, 4:14 PM
My buddy also picked up a midlength stainless upper from them. Thing was pretty amazing. Out of the box i was able to hit the steel plate out at 300 yards 8 out of 10 times with irons. Not really pacing shots either, just one right after the other.

It was getting alot of funny looks from the guys with the spotting scopes and clamped down scoped rifles.

How big was the plate?

^Rb
11-29-2011, 4:15 PM
Just got mine in yesterday . Havent shot it yet but look and finish is good. Its going to be a while to see reviews. I purchased it not because of actual reviews of people who have used them . But ive seen mostly people recommending them cause of their specs and price. Comparing them to other brands specs . So for the price Id give it a try . I was going to build a upper but this one has everything I wanted and cheaper so I went with it. Cheaper ARs can hold up. I figure just my OPINION these should be fine.
But if your looking for a Filthy 14 BCM type review or test . Well its going to be a while. Heres some pics.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/303086_166255626806297_100002655823624_262739_8078 37645_n.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/309068_166255833472943_100002655823624_262740_5127 33795_n.jpg
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/374029_166256003472926_100002655823624_262744_1925 54839_n.jpg

I have it featureless so while I do practice marksmanship. I also love to do 30rd. mag dumps. If it doensnt hold up well bump firing with reloads, wolf and other ammo I will post that it sucks . But give me a while Ive been sick like a dog . Hopefully I can go this weekend.

Can you please take some pics of your BCG staking and feed ramps? (if possible)

Thanks!

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 4:40 PM

Thanks!

Here's some of mine....
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk411/coyote_bait/M4%20Project/100_3833.jpg
Good God, doesn't anybody clean this thing?
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk411/coyote_bait/M4%20Project/100_3836.jpg

skeptik
11-29-2011, 5:09 PM
just got mine in the mail today. m4a1 palmetto upper to sit on my spikes lower. she looks sexy. ill she how she dances this weekend. ill have some photos as well as a review soon.

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 5:10 PM
just got mine in the mail today. m4a1 palmetto upper to sit on my spikes lower. she looks sexy. ill she how she dances this weekend. ill have some photos as well as a review soon.

Mine's on a Spike's lower also.

msand951
11-29-2011, 5:14 PM
Nice pics coyotebait.
I took mine with my cell. My upper is on a aero precision. Fits perfect

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 5:15 PM
Thanks, usually my pics turn out like crap. Dammit, I'm a mechanic, not a photographer. :)

FastFinger
11-29-2011, 6:28 PM

Thanks!

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3504/feedramps1.jpg

Revolver Ocelot
11-29-2011, 9:12 PM
How big was the plate?

It was one of Laguna Seca's new plates. A bit smaller than their old ones which i think were 12 " tall.

Iam able to hit the plates with my 7.62 saiga as well but not as often and not as fast.

jonzer77
11-30-2011, 11:40 AM
It was one of Laguna Seca's new plates. A bit smaller than their old ones which i think were 12 " tall.

Iam able to hit the plates with my 7.62 saiga as well but not as often and not as fast.

I haven't been out to laguna seca since they changed the plates. That range is awesome.

Yemff
11-30-2011, 12:13 PM
I shot one that my friend just purchased, no failures of any kind with both pmc and bear ammo. We only put about 200 round through it however. IIRC he got the mid length hammer forged with the FN barrel for 449

cavemanlrrp
11-30-2011, 3:46 PM
I have an upper from PSA.

16" SS, middy, 1- 8 twist, Wylde chamber, chrome lined bolt carrier, 12" MI free float.
Specs, ramps, staking all GTG.

Short stroked first round, has not missed a lick since. Over 500, less than a 1000.

Also used there lower parts with SSA trigger and there buffer, tube and spring CTR "kit"for this build. Changed out charging handle for BCM GF.

She runs like a champ and is a shooter. I have No complaints.
Having said that I haven't owned a Noveski, etc. yet, so I may not know what I'm missing? :)

Best
caveman

CK_32
11-30-2011, 6:01 PM
Good to know it seems they all need to be broken in before they are ready to go.

Seems to be a common problem having issues that later fix them selves out later.

Munny$hot
11-30-2011, 7:05 PM
I used a brand new 16" m4 399.00 upper from PSA in a tactical and fired @ 650~800 rounds of reloads/factory ammo and didn't have one problem at all. The conditions where 85~90 degrees and dusty. We where firing standing, moving, in/out of prone etc. Accuracy was great just as any other rig out there. One good sign is you don't see any for sale in the sale threads, so it should give you a good indicator that people are satisfied with them.

Brown Rock
11-30-2011, 9:44 PM
I don't have a PSA upper, but I do have on of their premium BCG's. It's been good to me so far.:)

smog7
11-30-2011, 9:57 PM
I bought their 16" 5.56 NATO M4, CMV, Chrome-Lined, MP Upper a couple of months ago. Mated it to my stag lower. Have since shot a couple hundred rounds through it. Had one jam on extraction with wolf ammo, but besides that the upper has performed flawlessly. I have shot both wolf(steel ****) and federal(brass) at the same outing without any extraction problems.

Palmetto State Armory
12-01-2011, 5:46 AM
Seems to be a common problem having issues that later fix them selves out later.

This isn't common at all. Most issues we have seen are from units that were not cleaned before shooting. If a customer has an issue with their upper/rifle's function we will take care of it.

AC89
12-01-2011, 6:36 AM
I got an 16" Upper with 11" trx rails and it looks great, and couldn't beat the price. Just waiting to shoot the crap out of it later this month. I am extremely happy I made the purchase, and would buy again in a heart beat.

mrvash
12-01-2011, 7:01 AM
Due to popularity, I hope they don't increase their prices later on down to road :(

xrMike
12-01-2011, 7:10 AM

Haven't see the new Laguna Seca plates yet, but re: the old ones... The one on the left was 12" x 18" tall, the one on the right was 12" x 12".

300 yards out.

Japsican
12-01-2011, 8:17 AM
Good to know it seems they all need to be broken in before they are ready to go.

I wouldnt say that...that's how rumors get started. Only one person mentioned one slight hiccup when firing for the first time...Lots of variables. This wouldnt automatically make me assume that this is a "common problem".

This isn't common at all. Most issues we have seen are from units that were not cleaned before shooting. If a customer has an issue with their upper/rifle's function we will take care of it.

Agree 100%.

When I first received my PSA upper I inspected it, cleaned it, and lubed it up. Took it to the range and had zero issues. And for some reason you do have a problem, I'm sure PSA will take care of you.

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 8:32 AM
I wouldnt say that...that's how rumors get started. Only one person mentioned one slight hiccup when firing for the first time...Lots of variables. This wouldnt automatically make me assume that this is a "common problem".

Agree 100%.

When I first received my PSA upper I inspected it, cleaned it, and lubed it up. Took it to the range and had zero issues. And for some reason you do have a problem, I'm sure PSA will take care of you.

Yep, first thing I did when I got mine was pulled the bolt, wiped it down and re-lubed. (I used a synthetic assembly lube that I have, worked wonderfully)

NHP1127
12-01-2011, 9:16 AM
I just ordered a spare PSA premium BCG on sale for $89... BCM's are $149.

Also, to comment on initial firings, yup, good idea to clean and lube any new gun. Especially take out the bolt and lube it. Should have done this on my new Colt. It short stroked on the very first shot, then no further problems.

mike_the_wino
12-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I bought a PSA A3 style, upper to sit on top of a PSA lower. Slapped on a A2 stock, removable carry handle (for irons) and finished it with a DD LPK. Shoots fricking great! Got zero on the 25 yard line in less than 100 rounds. Zero problems so far with 400-500 rounds through.

This may be a weird practice, or a holdover from buying AKs and SKS' back in the day when they came covered in cosmoline, but I always field strip, clean, oil and reassemble any rifle before firing. Same routine for uppers.

Dhena81
12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I bought a PSA A3 style, upper to sit on top of a PSA lower. Slapped on a A2 stock, removable carry handle (for irons) and finished it with a DD LPK. Shoots fricking great! Got zero on the 25 yard line in less than 100 rounds. Zero problems so far with 400-500 rounds through.

This may be a weird practice, or a holdover from buying AKs and SKS' back in the day when they came covered in cosmoline, but I always field strip, clean, oil and reassemble any rifle before firing. Same routine for uppers.

LOL I haven't laughed that hard in a long time it only took you 100 rounds to zero at 25 yards that must be a typo.

MrPlink
12-01-2011, 3:16 PM
LOL I haven't laughed that hard in a long time it only took you 100 rounds to zero at 25 yards that must be a typo.

maybe he meant 25rds at a 100yds?
If not, let the hating and LOL'ing continue :D

always a good idea. Lets you make sure everything is as it should be

Akers
12-01-2011, 3:28 PM
My primary weapon (at least AR) is all PSA. First got the lower on one of their $49.99 deals and bought the LPK ended up buying all of the parts to build the upper. When buying my barrel, I really wanted a hammer forged, but also wanted something short with carbine gas system. The only 14.7 or 14.5 they make with carbine is 4140 and not HF, but it is chromed lined.

Long story short....by far my favorite AR. Not sure I would trade it for any other on the market, unless maybe someone threw a knights armament at me...even then I would have to really sleep on it.

I shot 200-250 rounds through it the first day and it was flawless.....+1000 to date with not even a glitch. They could use more help on their sales/internet team. You can never get through on the phone, the mailbox is always full, they never call back and almost never respond to emails unless you have a serious problem, but good product. Hopefully with increased market share comes the money to grow their staff to keep up with demand.

If PSA read this....great product...please get more people to respond to emails and answer the phone.

Chaos47
12-01-2011, 3:36 PM

I don't see anything in this thread that justifies this comment... No one has said their rifle has had any hiccup.

You base that off one guy saying his first shot was short stoked?

What else are you referring to?

CK_32
12-01-2011, 3:57 PM
I don't see anything in this thread that justifies this comment... No one has said their rifle has had any hiccup.

You base that off one guy saying his first shot was short stoked?

What else are you referring to?

There is like 3 users who say their s had a few FTF/FTEs in the first hundred rounds then it seemed to clear up and is running fine now. Too lazy to go back and quote them but they are there.

coyotebait
12-01-2011, 4:19 PM
There is like 3 users who say their s had a few FTF/FTEs in the first hundred rounds then it seemed to clear up and is running fine now. Too lazy to go back and quote them but they are there.

They probably shot their 200 rounds, went home and cleaned it. Then properly lubed it. (If I had to guess)

evidens83
12-01-2011, 5:10 PM
Very interested in their Dissipator uppers. Any reviews??

eville
12-01-2011, 5:35 PM
I should know about a dissipator upper soon?

glock7
12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
i'm going to order a psa upper very soon and i'm going to run it hard and post up a range report. i'm going to do a featureless build and run that bad boy very very hard. coming to a secret shooting spot in vegas very very soon....

Peter.Steele
12-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Just rebuilt my AR with a PSA upper. Pics may be found here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=493601&highlight=rebuilt).

Just tried to take some pictures of the feed ramps and the gas key staking, but the macro mode on my camera sucks, so the pictures didn't come out really great. Regardless, the feed ramps line up perfectly and the gas key is staked very firmly.

I finally got a chance to take her out for a few hundred rounds the day after thanksgiving, and she was perfect. One round didn't feed, but that was a combination of magazine and ammo, not the upper. (The round appears to have been not crimped very tightly, and in addition was not lined up right in the magazine, when the bolt closed it pushed the bullet all the way back into the casing.)

Next weekend I should be going out again with her. Can't wait.