PDA

View Full Version : Blackout Sat. night

jyo
11-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Well, we had a blackout last Sat. night (Silverlake)---it lasted about an hour (not sure how long because after a half-hour the wife and I went out to dinner). I was surprised just how unprepared our neighbors were for this simple loss of power. It was after dark, and many folks were just standing around in the dark---no flashlights, no candles, nothing. As soon as the power went off, I reached under the coffee table and pulled out a Mini Maglite LED and we had light. My wife pulled out a Craftsmen's brand LED light and she had light too (this light was WAY inferior to the Maglite)---but still was good to have. My neighbors across the street just had a baby and they had no lights and a long flight of stairs in front of their house. I gave them two older Mini Maglites (non LED) that I had lying around (bought on sale for $8.00 bucks apiece). So the lesson is?---a good light source is REALLY GOOD to have! I picked up several of the LED Maglites when they were on sale for $14.00 each and have them in every room and the basement. If something happens and it is after the sun goes down---HAVE A LIGHT SOURCE!

eric90503
11-29-2011, 1:34 AM
Well, we had a blackout last Sat. night (Silverlake)---it lasted about an hour (not sure how long because after a half-hour the wife and I went out to dinner). I was surprised just how unprepared our neighbors were for this simple loss of power. It was after dark, and many folks were just standing around in the dark---no flashlights, no candles, nothing. As soon as the power went off, I reached under the coffee table and pulled out a Mini Maglite LED and we had light. My wife pulled out a Craftsmen's brand LED light and she had light too (this light was WAY inferior to the Maglite)---but still was good to have. My neighbors across the street just had a baby and they had no lights and a long flight of stairs in front of their house. I gave them two older Mini Maglites (non LED) that I had lying around (bought on sale for $8.00 bucks apiece). So the lesson is?---a good light source is REALLY GOOD to have! I picked up several of the LED Maglites when they were on sale for $14.00 each and have them in every room and the basement. If something happens and it is after the sun goes down---HAVE A LIGHT SOURCE!

It's SILVERLAKE!... I live in Eagle Rock and it's the same here. Friggen hipsters are too worried about looking cool without seeming like they're trying to be. Basic emergency necessities surely is low in priority. These are the people that will scoff at you when you mention any kind preparedness, at least most that I've have come across.

Good job on having some back up light sources! Btw, Honda Eu2000's are great little put-puts... quiet too. Only 900bucks.

maxwellca21
11-29-2011, 1:39 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkypxGcgfZOYQ7OcDST_B0a0kMjGb6S rk2LOKMP3h8QaIeuJprKdsZL4o1pA

jyo
11-29-2011, 2:32 AM
I was living in this same house when the Northridge EQ struck at night that knocked out power over a great deal of L.A. and remember walking up and down the street checking on my neighbors and smelling for gas leaks (none found) using my very old 3-cell D Maglite (still have it, still works) and saw people messing around with "penlights" (that never worked or the batteries were dead) while my light could reach clear down the block. One of my neighbors asked me "Were did you get that 'Police' flashlight?" Having modern lights and FRESH batteries is just one of the very first levels of being prepared.

geeknow
11-29-2011, 6:05 AM
We had a blackout in my area a while back. When the lights went out, I grabbed a flashlight, headed to the garage, and retreived a handful of 'white' chemlights. Cracked them, and distributed them around the house. Wasnt as bright as having the lights on, but it allowed us to continue doing our thing just fine. Personal flashlights did the rest. Had a few neighbors ask about it the following day. Looked them square in the eye, and told them it was 'solar'.

problemchild
11-29-2011, 7:55 AM
Two things I must have on my flashlights are the ability to "tailstand" or ceiling bounce to light the whole room and the ability to go into "firefly" mode to avoid detection from neighbors and when use of a very low low is prescribed.

Last power outage we had here lasted 3-4 hours and I fired up my Honda gen to watch TV and surf the net. Man did that gen get noticed by the neighbors. When its dead calm quiet things are not quiet anymore.

My go to light is my zebra sc600 with 80+ days of runtime on low.

Light Output

High: H1 500Lm with 750Lm turbo in the first 5 min (2hrs) or H2 200Lm (5.9hrs) / 330Lm (3hrs) / 500Lm (2.1hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 65Lm (18hrs) or M2 21Lm (50hrs)
Low: L1 2.8Lm (280hrs) or L2 0.1Lm (80days)
Runtimes are tested using Panasonic NCR18650 (2900mAH) batteries. Light output are out the front (OTF) values. All levels are current regulated.

Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V - 4.2V
Battery: One 18650 size (up to 67mm long) 3.6/3.7V Li-ion rechargeable battery. Batteries are not included in the package.
Parasitic Drain: Negligible (equivalent to 13 years)

http://www.zebralight.com/assets/images/sc600_standing.jpg

If you do not want to spend 90 bucks here is a budget light that is well made.
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Budget-Lights/Yezl-Z1-p137.html
or
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Jetbeam/Jetbeam-BA10-p148.html

11HE9
11-29-2011, 8:18 AM
I always have a Photon microlight in my pocket. We were in a Target store a while back when the power went out (car hit a pole). I was the only person in the store with a flashlight...

Love these things :)

wheels
11-29-2011, 9:42 AM
I was coming down off half dome several years ago with the GF. Just before dark above Vernal falls three guys pass by us jogging down. Got down to the bridge and they were all huddled against the wall - it was a little overcast and pitch black. Always good to have a light for when things don't go according to plan.

jyo
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, the Mini Maglite LED will stand on it's tail (a little wobbly) and thats how I used it at first to basically light the entire living room.

Scout2Diesel
11-29-2011, 5:34 PM
I hate not having a pocket knive and little flashlight with me. I use them at my office and around the house daily. Funny how some people freak on people that use and carry such simple tools. 99% of the time I forget I'm going to the air port or court house.... Ops! Maybe a could be issued a CCT permit and avoid the hassle.

My laugh of the day here jyo... Did you ask them if they are for or against a " 'P' State"?

.... One of my neighbors asked me "Were did you get that 'Police' flashlight?" ...

I have loved a good flashlight since Cub Scouts... PC you always post the coolest flashlights and remind me I am neglecting my flashlight collection. I still have my radio shack give away from the coupons.....They have come a long way.

Two things I must have on my flashlights are the ability to "tailstand" or ceiling bounce to light the whole room and the ability to go into "firefly" mode to avoid detection from neighbors and when use of a very low low is prescribed.

Last power outage we had here lasted 3-4 hours and I fired up my Honda gen to watch TV and surf the net. Man did that gen get noticed by the neighbors. When its dead calm quiet things are not quiet anymore.

My go to light is my zebra sc600 with 80+ days of runtime on low.

Light Output

High: H1 500Lm with 750Lm turbo in the first 5 min (2hrs) or H2 200Lm (5.9hrs) / 330Lm (3hrs) / 500Lm (2.1hrs) / 4Hz Strobe
Medium: M1 65Lm (18hrs) or M2 21Lm (50hrs)
Low: L1 2.8Lm (280hrs) or L2 0.1Lm (80days)
Runtimes are tested using Panasonic NCR18650 (2900mAH) batteries. Light output are out the front (OTF) values. All levels are current regulated.

Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V - 4.2V
Battery: One 18650 size (up to 67mm long) 3.6/3.7V Li-ion rechargeable battery. Batteries are not included in the package.
Parasitic Drain: Negligible (equivalent to 13 years)

http://www.zebralight.com/assets/images/sc600_standing.jpg

If you do not want to spend 90 bucks here is a budget light that is well made.
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Budget-Lights/Yezl-Z1-p137.html
or
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Jetbeam/Jetbeam-BA10-p148.html

Salty
11-29-2011, 6:45 PM
Not to sound like a jerk, but having family in LA, and a lot of friends up here who are originally from LA, this really does not surprise me.

Salty
11-29-2011, 6:55 PM
By the way, this thing turned me into a total headlamp convert.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/spot-headlamp/

They might seem dorky at first, but having your hands free is so convenient, and they ball up just as small if not smaller than a lot of the new fangled handhelds.

11HE9
11-29-2011, 7:26 PM
They might seem dorky at first, but having your hands free is so convenient...

I do a lot of off roading and camping, hands free is a "must" when setting up camp or wrenching on a broken rig at night. I think everyone I know uses a headlamp :)

scarville
11-29-2011, 8:03 PM
They might seem dorky at first, but having your hands free is so convenient, and they ball up just as small if not smaller than a lot of the new fangled handhelds.
I have several headlamps in addition to flashlights. A flashlight is very useful but even something as mundane as washing dishes takes two hands. A headlamp is also a very good thing to keep in your first aid kit.

My current EDC is a Maglite XL-50 but I have a headlamp in my bag JIC.

wheels
11-29-2011, 8:30 PM
By the way, this thing turned me into a total headlamp convert.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/lighting/spot-headlamp/

+1 - climbing around in my attic made me a convert.

TrailerparkTrash
11-29-2011, 10:14 PM
These lights are super cheap, last a loooooong time with the big 6volt batteries. Yes they are not that bright, but for inside a house, they sure beat the brightness of a candle or two..... How "bright" does anyone really need inside the house just to sit out a power shortage????
http://www.batterysavers.com/images/6voltlantern%20-batteryoperated.jpg

TreadonmenoT
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
costco has those LED flashlights that you plug in, when the power goes off they come on, very handy

mindwip
11-30-2011, 1:12 PM
I have an small light on my keychain, candles in each room, flashlights with 30 day run times and solar charged battery to keep my computer up and running.

This is what happens when you loose power once a month from anywhere between 10mins and 24 hours for the last year in Irvine. also found out my flashlight is in fact water and dryice proof when I let the neighbors kids "fish" with it in a bucket of water and dryice.

MudCamper
11-30-2011, 1:25 PM
I always carry at least 2 flashlights on me at all times. And my home, office, garage, and vehicles are overflowing with additional flashlights. I just don't get people who don't own a flashlight. I think they are almost more useful than a pocket knife. But then, most people don't carry those either... Sigh. I also have boxes of candles and several kerosene lanterns and various Colman lanterns. But when the power goes out, I don't need most of that as I also have a generator and my house electric lights still work. I am the opposite of your neighbor! :)

gunafficionado
11-30-2011, 1:45 PM
I always have a flashlight or two on me at all times. I've managed to convince my housemates the value of having flashlights within reach at all times.

I do get a giggle or two sent my way especially when its daytime and I'm seen carrying a flashlight.

stix213
11-30-2011, 1:55 PM
I always carry at least 2 flashlights on me at all times. And my home, office, garage, and vehicles are overflowing with additional flashlights. I just don't get people who don't own a flashlight.

Once you start carrying a flashlight on your person all the time, it doesn't take long before you can't understand how you ever lived without it.

I started years ago with a regular mini maglite on a belt, and through various flashlights since to today always having a 4Sevens Quark Mini AA in my pocket. 3/36/90 lumen settings out of an extremely small flashlight using a single AA power source is hard to beat. Its become so personal, that I don't even let people borrow it haha. Like asking if they can borrow my pants or something.

Lancear15
11-30-2011, 2:13 PM
I always have a Photon microlight in my pocket. We were in a Target store a while back when the power went out (car hit a pole). I was the only person in the store with a flashlight...

Love these things :)

I've been meaning to order a good keychain light. Just ordered one for the wife and I. Thanks.

jyo
11-30-2011, 2:28 PM
Oh, and also Ikea has big boxes of candles cheap---for those times when you need a long time light source.

11HE9
11-30-2011, 7:26 PM
I've been meaning to order a good keychain light. Just ordered one for the wife and I. Thanks.

The wife and I never leave home without ours ;)

This is another version of the Photon microlight...

Photon X-light (it has adjustable brightness and flash modes)

* I don't know if this one can survive a trip throught the laundry (yet), but I do know the first one I posted can :o

jyo
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, VERY high winds last night---power went off six times (at least) during the night---the flashlights were very handy. Found an very OLD two D cell Maglite (from the days when Maglite and Streamlight were pretty much the only quality lights available) under the bed on my wife's side---not only did it still work just fine, but when I went to check the batteries that were in it, they were Duracell Ds that were dated "Best before 2008"---certainly better battery life then I expected. It's predicted that there will be high winds tonight---good luck guys!

Lancear15
12-01-2011, 3:17 PM
* I don't know if this one can survive a trip throught the laundry (yet), but I do know the first one I posted can :o

That is why I went with the basic model, figured it would use less battery because it has no electronics, and be less prone to failure.

That reminds me of when my wife ran an Ipod nano through the washer AND dryer... don't ask me how, and it still works, just lots of scratches

puropuro
12-01-2011, 3:41 PM
We had a blackout last year sometime.....it was a good drill on how to get into the garage, find the generator, get it started up, and power up my computer. Sounds simple, but there are a lot of things you don't think about beforehand. (like, if your garge door opener has no power, do you know how to get inside the garage and disengage it so you can actually get to your stuff?)

AdidasCJ
12-01-2011, 4:01 PM
i have a 3 Cell mag light i have had i wanna say at least 8-10 years... it works flawlessly each and every time! I even switched over to the LED blubs and it still works just like the day i bought it, just brighter! LOL

People underestimate how in a black out, and earthquake without power etc.. How much a simple lighting will ease them. (people think im crazy for saying this) But i do believe it!

I have maglight in my truck, and scattered around my house.. Altho i have been thinking of getting some of the glow in the dark tape that you see on emergency exit doors and putting a strip around my lights. that way in a pitch black darkness i have something to aim for to know my light is there!

jyo
12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Winds not so bad last night---still large parts of Silverlake were blacked out again---talked with some of my neighbors---now they want to know something about reliable portable lighting---we'll see how long that lasts. Many areas in L.A. still without power as I write this...

Sumo99
12-02-2011, 6:51 PM
I still don't have power at home (Mt. Washington neighborhood). My wife just asked the other day why I have so many flashlights throughout the house. She also once questioned why I had a flashlight in the diaper bag...she was sure glad about the flashlights last night.

Maltese Falcon
12-02-2011, 7:01 PM
I still don't have power at home (Mt. Washington neighborhood). My wife just asked the other day why I have so many flashlights throughout the house. She also once questioned why I had a flashlight in the diaper bag...she was sure glad about the flashlights last night.

Ahh good ole Mt. Washington, I lived on Museum drive for close to 20 years. Every summer when it got real hot and everyone turned on their air conditioners, the power would go out for anywhere from 3-6 hours. Those creaky old transformers just can't take it...

Sumo99
12-02-2011, 7:06 PM
Ahh good ole Mt. Washington, I lived on Museum drive for close to 20 years. Every summer when it got real hot and everyone turned on their air conditioners, the power would go out for anywhere from 3-6 hours. Those creaky old transformers just can't take it...

This is the 1st real power outage I've experienced since living here (About 6 years). All the others were mostly the short little 10-15 minute type. I'm a block away from Museum Dr. Too bad the museum isn't open any longer.

Sumo99
12-02-2011, 7:14 PM
This flashlight works great for blackouts: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-95-155-Tripod-LED-Flashlight/dp/B001DV7PBW
Found it on one of those deal-a-day websites. Got 2 of them for under $15.

olhunter
12-02-2011, 8:00 PM
I have piles of these little lights...everywhere -

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/black-flashlight-keychain-22000mcd-10-pack-1253

.47 each, bright and they last. I hung one up in the peak of the tent and was able to read by the light. Fell asleep and it was still bright the next morning. Then did it again the next night.

TenSeven
12-03-2011, 12:35 AM
...Funny how some people freak on people that use and carry such simple tools...

Oh wow... you would have laughed yourself to death if you had seen what happened to me while working in the IT dept in a SoCal cable company.

I was setting up a workstation for a new sales rep and needed to use a tool. She saw the tool and freaked out. Called her boss, my boss, my bosses boss, her HR rep, and the HR supervisor for a week to express her fears about me carrying a "dangerous weapon" at work.

The tool / "dangerous weapon" in question?

A Leatherman Wave.

Later, my bosses boss called me to his office for more info. I showed him what a valuable tool the Wave could be to a PC tech. He was so impressed with the Wave that he bought one for all the other PC techs.

The sales rep? Yeah... she didn't last more than a month. She had "issues".

jyo
12-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Another blackout today for about a hour and a half---when is this going to end?

Scout2Diesel
12-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh wow... you would have laughed yourself to death .... She saw the tool and freaked out. Called her boss, ....
A Leatherman Wave.

.... She had "issues".

Guess her meds were not right that day. Scary thing is that idiots like this are causing grief for honest, well mannered, kind folks with zero intent to use any tool for evil... as I've read on CGs too many times.

I had a client, back in 1990, advise me about "Police flashlights (4 cell Mag) are illegal" Guess she'd rather stay in the dark ... You would'nt be suprised that she worked for that big LA newspaper.