PDA

View Full Version : I Want an to be an FFL

cxs2
02-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Please direct me to other parts of the forum if appropriate.

OK, I am thinking of getting an FFL for myself. I have been on the ATF web pages and started my research. Can anyone give me advise, shortcuts, or anyother information I may find useful to either move forward or bail out?

Why am I thinking of getting one? Because I am putting together a gun dealer business plan.

m1371
02-28-2007, 1:12 AM
Please direct me to other parts of the forum if appropriate.

OK, I am thinking of getting an FFL for myself. I have been on the ATF web pages and started my research. Can anyone give me advise, shortcuts, or anyother information I may find useful to either move forward or bail out?

Why am I thinking of getting one? Because I am putting together a gun dealer business plan.

Right off the top of my head, try contacting:

10% Firearms - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=5164

jemaddux - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=6546

and/or

SFV_Dealer - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=6504

I would think that any one of them could provide you with the info you're looking for.

xenophobe
02-28-2007, 1:36 AM
First you need to find out if there are any City or County restrictions on being a gun dealer. Some counties and cities require that you operate out of a commercial or retail zoned location.

Federal requirements are that you are 1000' away from any school.

You must have an alarm that is hooked up directly to your local police agency.

You must also get a business license, resale permit, and any other permits, like a license to sell firearms capable of being concealed (City Police Handgun Permit).

You will need a Certificate of Eligibility. After you receive your FFL you will need to contact the DOJ and register as a California Licensed Firearms Dealer

You can find California FFL Requirements here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php

I'm not sure if the ATF requires standard fingerprints or livescanned prints...

Forms can be found/downloaded/ordered here:

DOJ Certificate of Eligibility:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf

ATF Form Distribution Order Center:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

tenpercentfirearms
02-28-2007, 5:38 AM
You must have an alarm that is hooked up directly to your local police agency.
It is rare when Xeno gives bad information, but this is. Unless it is a local ordnance, there is no such requirement.

The very first thing you need to do is get your city or county business license. Everything else is pointless until they approve you.

Once you get that then you can get these in any order

FFL
State Resellers license
Ficticious business name
Certificate of Eligibility

Once you have all of that, then you will have to send it in to the state for your final CFD and you will be a gun dealer.

JGarrison
02-28-2007, 5:58 AM
How much startup is all of that? Besides the building rental etc?

NSR500
02-28-2007, 9:11 AM
I'd Love to see a Gun shop in a nice retail location next to a Starbuck or other Liberal Bastion. LOL...
You thinking about somewhere in the San Ramon area?

tenpercentfirearms
02-28-2007, 9:37 AM
FFL $200 for three years
COE is just under $100 somewhere (I only remember it is $22 to renew annually now)
CFD is $100 to $130 depending on how many partners you have.
Card swiper is $100.
Computer to run DROS on. $500+
Printer $100-$300
You will need either a secure facility to store the firearms meaning windows and openings have to be barred or have no windows or openings, otherwise it is a gun safe. $1000+

There are more costs, I can't think of them all right now.

JGarrison
02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
How much was your business license?

jmlivingston
02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Don't forget internet access for that DROS computer, and a phone line for taking calls. Merchant account for taking credit card payments. Probably should have a legal business structure i.e. LLC, Incorporation, or something similiar in place. I can't imagine running this type of business with insurance either.

John

PistolPete75
02-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Good luck in becomin an FFL. I am currently working with another calgunner to become an FFL in los angeles. I estimated start up cost to be around $30,000 to do it right which includes 6 months of overhead costs and a little inventory. There is alot of redtape here in LA...hopefully where you are it should be easier.

tenpercentfirearms
02-28-2007, 11:06 AM
I think my business license is $40 for the year.

xenophobe
02-28-2007, 7:34 PM
It is rare when Xeno gives bad information, but this is.

Actually, it's not that rare. lol. I was thinking SOT, my mistake...

cxs2
03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
I'd Love to see a Gun shop in a nice retail location next to a Starbuck or other Liberal Bastion. LOL...
You thinking about somewhere in the San Ramon area?
:D LOL :D

OMG that is funny. I was actually thinking of operating out of a light industrial building. Maybe by appointment only.

shark92651
03-02-2007, 2:01 PM
Are there restrictions on getting an FFL and/or doing business out of your home - lets assume you just wanted to do some online business and not actually have a retail storefront. Or do you have to be in a commercially zoned area?

leelaw
03-02-2007, 2:04 PM
Actually, it's not that rare. lol. I was thinking SOT, my mistake...

SOT? I thought you just had to have a monitored alarm system. There hasn't been a "direct to the PD" style alarm system in a while, IIRC.

tenpercentfirearms
03-02-2007, 2:05 PM
You must have a physical address. That is why the first step is to go to your local agency because they will let you know what the zoning is for your area. Even my conservative town said not in my house.

ocabj
03-02-2007, 2:08 PM
One of the members at my club has a 01FFL with the address as his house. He's in the city of Colton (San Bernardino County). Not sure if they allowed it because he actually has an office that is separate from the actual house on his property (like a garage converted into an office).

kilword
03-02-2007, 2:14 PM
yea and kevin in martinez runs a ffl out of his home.

xenophobe
03-02-2007, 2:55 PM
Are there restrictions on getting an FFL and/or doing business out of your home - lets assume you just wanted to do some online business and not actually have a retail storefront. Or do you have to be in a commercially zoned area?

That depends on city and county ordinances. San Jose, for example, will not approve FFLs that do not have commercial or retail property.

SOT? I thought you just had to have a monitored alarm system. There hasn't been a "direct to the PD" style alarm system in a while, IIRC.

Yes, there are still "direct to the PD" style alarms.

Even my conservative town said not in my house.

Yes, some cities don't allow it, but if you had an FFL before city ordinances changed, then you most likely would have been allowed to keep it.

hi_desert
03-02-2007, 3:12 PM
Ah, the calgun's dream. Usually goes like this ...

(# of firearms desired) x (FFL/DROS fees) = ...

OK, I am thinking of getting an FFL for myself...

But after all the bureaucratic red tap, county ordinances, city regulations, and neighborhood protest it usually just winds up being a dream. Hope it works out cause we can always use more OLL friendlies.