PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ Arsenal SGL

Bluhdow!
11-28-2011, 5:43 PM
So I've got one of the CA legal Arsenal SGLs in 7.62x39 (SGL-21).

In cleaning it this evening I noticed that there is some play in the piston where it extends out frmo the bolt carrier. There was always a little play, but there's more after my most recent shooting trip. It's not a ton, but enough for me to inquire on this forum (obviously).

It's a relatively new rifle, with around 300-400 rounds through it. My question is: is this normal? Is this something to be concerned about? If so, what should I do? Send it back to Arsenal? Is it an easy fix? Etc.

Thank you very much for your guidance. Much appreciated!

cmace22
11-28-2011, 5:53 PM
A little play is normal. The gas piston is threaded on to the bolt carrier and then riveted in place. It is not suppose to be a tight fit to the bolt carrier. The only issue I could see if if your piston isnt riveted in place allowing the piston to unscrew which could possibly cause a major issue down the line. Check for a rivet if its there forget about the play.

tujungatoes
11-28-2011, 5:53 PM
you're fine. it's supposed to have play. No need to worry unless you can unscrew it(which won't ever happen).

*edit* you probably won't see the rivet. it's ground flush with the carrier.

chead
11-28-2011, 6:02 PM
It should have play, it's intended to flex slightly. I have an an SGL-31 and it has play in the piston too. As long as the pin hasn't come out (it should have a tiny weld over it) then it should be fine.

cmace22
11-28-2011, 6:04 PM
you're fine. it's supposed to have play. No need to worry unless you can unscrew it(which won't ever happen).

*edit* you probably won't see the rivet. it's ground flush with the carrier.

This is true. I forgot to add that part lol.

chead
11-28-2011, 6:05 PM
Some builders (Century, I think) weld the piston which is not the proper way to do it.

Bluhdow!
11-28-2011, 6:29 PM
Awesome. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks guys!

Best,

~Joe