PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on a trunk gun

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 5:09 PM
Hey guys,

So I have been wanting to get a "trunk gun" for my car. My goal is something reasonably affordable, doesn't have to be top of the line since it will be a trunk gun afterall, lightweight, ammo/mags readily available, and it has to be user friendly. I have it narrowed down to these two choices...

Choice one, a Kel Tec SU16 (think that is the correct model number). The pros for this choice is that I can use my pre-ban mags with it, it's light, and it's affordable.

Choice two, a AR15 with a Plum Crazy lower and a Del Ton upper. Now I will say this right now, I already own 6 AR's and all of them are aluminum lowers. I am very skeptical of the Plum Crazy lower, not saying anything bad about them, just not sure I am a believer in them. That being said, it has all the same pros as the Kel Tec except for the use of pre-ban magazines. I can probably build it for right around the same price as a Kel Tec.

Give me some opinions here guys, what do you all think? I would appreciate it if we could keep most of the focus on these two choices but I am not opposed to other suggestions.

Also, need some help from you current trunk gun owners :oji:. How did you lock it up in your trunk? I was think it might be kinda cool to have the container permanently attached in the trunk so it is secured in there. Can you share your set ups?

:cheers2:

DannyInSoCal
11-28-2011, 5:11 PM
My KelTec PLR16 rides along tucked away inside a small hardly noticeable backpack in the Jeep....

Milsurps
11-28-2011, 5:26 PM
Choice two, a AR15 with a Plum Crazy lower and a Del Ton upper. Now I will say this right now, I already own 6 AR's and all of them are aluminum lowers. I am very skeptical of the Plum Crazy lower, not saying anything bad about them, just not sure I am a believer in them.

:cheers2:

I have a 16" Del Ton upper on a Plum Crazy lower and it works well and always reliable. It's the only AR my Wife actually enjoys shooting. It's lite and easy to handle. Good combo for me too, although my A2 clone is still my favorite. ;)

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 5:27 PM
My KelTec PLR16 rides along tucked away inside a small hardly noticeable backpack in the Jeep....

Now as far as legalities, how does that work? Since it is a rifle it doesn't need to be in a locked container? Do you transport the ammo somewhere else? I was under the impression that the ammo cannot be stored with the firearm.

ChrisToad
11-28-2011, 5:27 PM
I'd say get a gun you're already proficient at shooting... and make sure you secure it in case of a break in.

I was under the impression that the ammo cannot be stored with the firearm.

Not IN the firearm to consider it 'loaded'. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

Reference "Ammunition in the locked container is legal "

five.five-six
11-28-2011, 5:33 PM
I like the trunk monkey

RCUBxgdKZ_Y

gun toting monkeyboy
11-28-2011, 5:43 PM
I would go with the AR. You already have them, and you are familiar with them. I have not used a Plum Crazy lower, but I have heard more good things than bad. However, seeing as this is a gun that you have the potential to get stranded somewhere with, I would also look at just getting a regular lower for it. If you are going to get a cheap red dot to go on it, look at one that uses AA batteries. And make sure that it has iron sights and a sling. You may have to carry it with you if you get stuck someplace.

My philosophy with trunk guns is that it has to be good enough for you to use for hunting, dispatching critters that have been hit by cars, and self defense if needed. An AR fits the bill. But so does the KelTec. Or a bolt action rifle. Or a shotgun. Or pretty much any firearm that meets the above criteria. YMMV, of course.

-Mb

mcisniper
11-28-2011, 6:36 PM
+1 on the Trunk Monkey!

FeuerFrei
11-28-2011, 7:25 PM
In case of a "break in" or theft I would only consider a disposable inexpensive long gun.
Shotgun, .22, bolt action C&R or maybe an AK. Low $ = easier loss to you.
Store the bolt somewhere else in the vehicle that is easy for you to grab. If the thief takes said rifle it won't work for them. Not right away anyhow.
Food for thought. Good idea though.

toddthedog
11-28-2011, 7:34 PM
+2 on trunk monkey

SureShot241
11-28-2011, 7:39 PM
I am planning on getting a shotgun for my car carry.

Question: If I get a sling and attach it to the shotgun and the sling has shells on it, is it considered loaded? I would be storing it in the trunk of my car. Legality?

mls343
11-28-2011, 8:06 PM
+3 on the Trunk Monkey! LOL

Librarian
11-28-2011, 8:09 PM

Question: If I get a sling and attach it to the shotgun and the sling has shells on it, is it considered loaded? I would be storing it in the trunk of my car. Legality?

No, shells in a sling carrier do not make the gun loaded - see the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California

And remember, no guns on college campuses/property; handguns are OK with LTC.

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 8:21 PM
I would go with the AR. You already have them, and you are familiar with them. I have not used a Plum Crazy lower, but I have heard more good things than bad. However, seeing as this is a gun that you have the potential to get stranded somewhere with, I would also look at just getting a regular lower for it. If you are going to get a cheap red dot to go on it, look at one that uses AA batteries. And make sure that it has iron sights and a sling. You may have to carry it with you if you get stuck someplace.

My philosophy with trunk guns is that it has to be good enough for you to use for hunting, dispatching critters that have been hit by cars, and self defense if needed. An AR fits the bill. But so does the KelTec. Or a bolt action rifle. Or a shotgun. Or pretty much any firearm that meets the above criteria. YMMV, of course.

-Mb

Damn you, I suggested the Plum Crazy because I already have 6 AR's that I spent a lot of money on lol. Now you have to go and suggest that and it makes me want to go with a "real" lower :D The sling is a very good idea, I am going to pass on the red dot though.

In case of a "break in" or theft I would only consider a disposable inexpensive long gun.
Shotgun, .22, bolt action C&R or maybe an AK. Low $ = easier loss to you.
Store the bolt somewhere else in the vehicle that is easy for you to grab. If the thief takes said rifle it won't work for them. Not right away anyhow.
Food for thought. Good idea though.

That is a GREAT suggestion. I will consider that one vote for the AR platform since I can remove the BCG very easily and put it somewhere else in the car. Not sure about the Kel Tec, have never broken one down.

I'd say get a gun you're already proficient at shooting... and make sure you secure it in case of a break in.
Not IN the firearm to consider it 'loaded'. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

Reference "Ammunition in the locked container is legal "

That is a very good point for the AR platform, I will consider that another vote for it. As far as ammo being stored, I have heard that it is not legal to have it loaded in the magazine even if the magazine is not in the gun.

Something else I have heard about the Plum Crazy lowers...I talked with a friend who bought one and he told me he replaced the composite trigger/hammer with a mil spec metal set up. Seeing as how I have at least 4 of these sitting in my spares box it sounds like a good idea. I would use a KNS anti-rotating pin set with them to make sure I don't round out the holes on the plum crazy lower.

So far the only advantage I can see with the Kel Tec is using high cap pre ban mags. Only argument for the AR in that case is to make it featureless. I have never shot a featureless AR so I don't know if it would be more comfortable than the Kel Tec.

Really liking the posts on this thread. It has been a good "discussion" so far. :) I also have to say that if I had a "trunk monkey" I wouldn't have posted this thread at all. A trunk monkey solves everything!!!!!

h0use
11-28-2011, 8:25 PM
I keep a hipoint 995 as my truckgun. Cheap and reliable. Enough time to drive out and get my ar15. You want somthing cheap and reliable somthing that won't burden you if it gets taken away.

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 8:41 PM
I keep a hipoint 995 as my truckgun. Cheap and reliable. Enough time to drive out and get my ar15. You want somthing cheap and reliable somthing that won't burden you if it gets taken away.

That isn't a bad idea. What do those sell for? How much do mags cost for it? Only thing going for the two I suggested are that mags are readily available.

h0use
11-28-2011, 8:53 PM
They only have 10rd mags. They cost 17$. for 10$ they make a mag holder that attaches to the stock that will hold 2 more mags. I just got the 995ts at turners for 299$
It's a 9mm carbine but they also come in 40sw and 45acp. They cost a bit more. I have put 200rd threw it with out any hiccups. it's cheap insurance when you need truck gun. I drive a pickup so I have a truck box in the back that has heavy duty lock and keep the rifle in a softcase. 4 mags and 2 boxes of ammo.

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 9:08 PM
Ok, I have to be honest, that is a great suggestion. There is choice number 3 right there. The gun is much cheaper, lightweight, and 9mm ammo is readily available. I'm still leaning towards 5.56 vs 9mm but I could be easily swayed.

That being said, can the Kel Tec shoot 5.56 or only .223?

gun toting monkeyboy
11-28-2011, 9:19 PM
You know, there is something to be said for old C&R Milsurps too. When I was a starving student and used to commute into school in LA everyday, I usually kept a Lee-Enfield or a Mosin-Nagant in the trunk because I could afford to shoot them often, they had plenty of power, and they were more accurate than I was. And if they got ripped off, I wouldn't be out too much. The same could also be said for a Chicom SKS. If you can find one of those for cheap, it might work as well. Another thing to think about is what your trunk gun looks like. If it is rigged out with all the latest tacti-cool stuff, and you have to actually bug out with it, it makes you much more visable. Both to the police and the denizens of the deep. And old bolt gun, lever action of battered SKS will likely attract a lot less of the wrong kind of attention.

As for the red dot, I can't really argue with that. When I used to have a trunk gun, I put lithium batteries in it, and had an extra set in the bug out bag. But irons will work just fine. And they never need batteries. A light might be helpful, but then again, it is one more thing to break or go wrong. Just something to think about.

-Mb

Mossy Man
11-28-2011, 9:42 PM
Mini 14

best truck gun ever

Lagduf
11-28-2011, 9:42 PM
Ok, I have to be honest, that is a great suggestion. There is choice number 3 right there. The gun is much cheaper, lightweight, and 9mm ammo is readily available. I'm still leaning towards 5.56 vs 9mm but I could be easily swayed.

That being said, can the Kel Tec shoot 5.56 or only .223?

The SU-16CA will shoot 5.56x45 just fine. Kel-Tec says you'll void your warranty if you shoot steel but I've had no issues shooting Wolf, although I do mostly feed the Kel-Tec PMC.

I have an Aimpoint 9000sc red dot on my SU-16. I like it. Got it cheap at Midway USA a couple years ago (I believe Aimpoint has discontinued this RDS now.) If I didn't work where I worked I'd keep my SU-16CA in my car. I should start carrying it around on weekends. I really wish I had a trunk though. Damn my Subaru Forester :D

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 10:10 PM
You know, there is something to be said for old C&R Milsurps too. When I was a starving student and used to commute into school in LA everyday, I usually kept a Lee-Enfield or a Mosin-Nagant in the trunk because I could afford to shoot them often, they had plenty of power, and they were more accurate than I was. And if they got ripped off, I wouldn't be out too much. The same could also be said for a Chicom SKS. If you can find one of those for cheap, it might work as well. Another thing to think about is what your trunk gun looks like. If it is rigged out with all the latest tacti-cool stuff, and you have to actually bug out with it, it makes you much more visable. Both to the police and the denizens of the deep. And old bolt gun, lever action of battered SKS will likely attract a lot less of the wrong kind of attention.

As for the red dot, I can't really argue with that. When I used to have a trunk gun, I put lithium batteries in it, and had an extra set in the bug out bag. But irons will work just fine. And they never need batteries. A light might be helpful, but then again, it is one more thing to break or go wrong. Just something to think about.

-Mb

The SKS isn't a bad vote at all. Despite the fact that prices on those have drastically increased in the past couple years it is still in the affordable category compared with my other choices. I would like to stick with semi-auto instead of bolt action.

Mini 14

best truck gun ever

Mini 14's are a great gun, but just starting to get out of the affordable range. If they accepted AR mags I might consider it.

The SU-16CA will shoot 5.56x45 just fine. Kel-Tec says you'll void your warranty if you shoot steel but I've had no issues shooting Wolf, although I do mostly feed the Kel-Tec PMC.

I have an Aimpoint 9000sc red dot on my SU-16. I like it. Got it cheap at Midway USA a couple years ago (I believe Aimpoint has discontinued this RDS now.) If I didn't work where I worked I'd keep my SU-16CA in my car. I should start carrying it around on weekends. I really wish I had a trunk though. Damn my Subaru Forester :D

I will take that as a vote for the Kel Tec.

Still would like to hear from more trunk gun owners and how they have secured them in the trunk.

loosewreck
11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Unconverted Saiga or Featureless Trunk Monkey.

Mossy Man
11-28-2011, 10:21 PM
i read this as "truck gun" when it says "trunk gun"

can't you get the Keltek su16 folder (that is non-functional while folded) for your trunk gun?

twinjetguy
11-29-2011, 1:43 AM
Unconverted Saiga or Featureless Trunk Monkey.

A Saiga doesn't sound like a bad option. Depending on what price I find one for. I would probably go with 7.62 if I did. If it could take AK mags that would even be better.

MrPlink
11-29-2011, 4:23 AM
my uncle tried to give me an old trunk monkey, but his name is "Colt Sporter" is he still legal to use?

zfields
11-29-2011, 5:15 AM
Rossi 357 mag lever gun? Small, compact, and CHEAP.

loosewreck
11-29-2011, 8:30 AM
A Saiga doesn't sound like a bad option. Depending on what price I find one for. I would probably go with 7.62 if I did. If it could take AK mags that would even be better.

They're back ordered now but, J&G has 7.62, 5.45, and .223s for $299
http://www.jgsales.com/saiga-7.62x39-sporter-rifle,-tgi-import,-new.-backordered-p-5888.html

Rossi 357 mag lever gun? Small, compact, and CHEAP.

This is also a good idea.

Dion
11-29-2011, 8:33 AM
I keep a .410 single shot shotgun with 100 rounds of buck.

twinjetguy
11-29-2011, 6:17 PM
You know, with some of the posts I have been reading, it's making me think my SKS might be a good option for a trunk gun. While it may not have a detachable mag, it does feel stripper clips rather well. It's still a toss up.

Would really like to hear how you guys have all your trunk guns secured in the trunk. Are you all just using a case that locks? Is there a type of locking case that I could bolt into the trunk so it doesn't move at all?

VegasND
11-29-2011, 7:08 PM
I liked the idea of an SKS too.
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/rtnpchpic/AK_AR_SKS/CIMG0375.jpg
I feel it's adequate for most any situation anywhere -- and it's (surprisingly!) legal in CA too. Old picture; the little accessory cases with stripper clips have been replace with a bandolier.
You know, with some of the posts I have been reading, it's making me think my SKS might be a good option for a trunk gun. While it may not have a detachable mag, it does feel stripper clips rather well. It's still a toss up.

Would really like to hear how you guys have all your trunk guns secured in the trunk. Are you all just using a case that locks? Is there a type of locking case that I could bolt into the trunk so it doesn't move at all?

EXTREMEOPS1
11-29-2011, 7:19 PM

http://www.chiefsupply.com/2291-Tufloc-Gun-Racks-and-Mount-Trunk-Mount.aspx

I have my shotgun shells in a mesa 6 shell holder mounted on the left side of the receiver awesome set up with a modular key

shells on it rather than in it = unloaded

joe84780
11-29-2011, 7:33 PM
+4 on The Trunk Monkey! That thing is fricking awesome!!!!:p

bruce_ventura
11-29-2011, 8:27 PM
If the gun is always in your car, you are likely to pass through a gun-free school zone at some point. The rifle must be unloaded and in a locked container.

Regarding secure storage: when the upper is disassembled the AR-15 fits nicely in an compact break-down shotgun case. Get a metal shotgun case and drill a 1/2" hole in one side. Drill a 1/4" hole through a 7/16" x 1-1/2" bolt and secure the bolt through the bed of the trunk (insert from under the car). Secure the gun case to the 7/16" bolt using a fender washer and a hitch pin. If necessary, you can substitute a bicycle cable and large padlock for the bolt and hitch pin.

Set this up so the case fits nicely in the trunk with the bolt through the bed and one side of the case, and with the case able to be opened when secured to the bed. Put the gun in the case, secure the hitch pin, close and lock the case. Voila!

The other good thing about this method is you don't have to remove the gun from the case when taking it to/from the trunk. Just carry the gun inside the case to the car, open the trunk, set the case on top of the bolt, open the case just wide enough to secure the hitch pin, and lock the case. Easy-peasy.

Be sure to leave enough room for the trunk monkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CK_32
11-29-2011, 8:45 PM
Too much???? :D

http://www.thelastgoddess.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Mini-gun.jpg

zfields
11-29-2011, 8:47 PM
Only thing better then trunk monkey

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0806/trunk-bear-demotivational-poster-1214819407.jpg

LTP90
11-29-2011, 10:21 PM
If the gun is always in your car, you are likely to pass through a gun-free school zone at some point. The rifle must be unloaded and in a locked container.

If it is the trunk of the car then it is a locked container...the trunk!

What about the Remington 7615.
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm
Its a reliable pump action that accepts AR mags, so if you have pre-ban large capacity mags you can use them because it doesn't have evil features and isn't semi auto. Also it probably doesn't look as threatening to an officer(if you got pulled over and he somehow got access to your trunk) when he sees it compared to an AR if you got pulled over.

plankowner
11-30-2011, 7:50 AM
I would say a good shotgun inexpensive and can get the job done but I also like the saiga idea.

MossbergMan
11-30-2011, 8:12 AM
I carry a Kel-Tec SU-16CA in a lawn chair bag, a military 3 mag (30 round) pouch and the two 10 rounders have been replaced with one 30 round magazine. Doesn't look like a gun bag and who wants to go to jail for a lawn/folding chair in the rare case of a truck burglary.
The Kel-Tec is an awesome(for what it is), yet it's a fairly inexpensive practical rifle. Add a dot sight as I have (a UTG red/green) and you have a gun that will perform out to 300 yards (if you do your part).
I used an SKS for years, figuring it was a a 10 round disposable rifle. I never mastered rapid reloading of that gun. The stripper clips are slower than replacing a 30 round magazine, so I traded up.
Good luck in your choosing of a truck/trunk gun. Most of the suggestions have been good, with the notable exception of Hi Point anythings. And go with a rifle caliber it will do anything a shotgun can do (for self defense) and more power than a handgun caliber carbine.

OffGrid
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
My truck guns are,
Winchester 1300 that is usually next to my seat with various flavors of ammo close by.
A 17 HMR or 22 LR scoped rifle in the back seat some where.
An AR pistol with 10” barrel, red dot sight and a few mags in the tool box.
And some sort of pistol or two, usually a 44mag with a couple snake shot shells in it, in the tool box.

All are tools that serve a purpose. Decide what your main purpose is and it will help you narrow down your decision.

On the plum crazy lower I have never shot, fondled, built or seen one so I can’t comment on the quality. I think if you are already “very skeptical” you probably know what you should do. Real alum lowers are pretty cheap right now.

duggan
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I carry a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W, takes glock 22 mags, folds up small enough to fit in a backpack (I carry mine this way backpack locked of course), it could easily fit into a medium sized tool box that could be bolted to the trunk and locked.

Rebellious
11-30-2011, 9:34 PM
...Featureless Trunk Monkey.

+1 on Featureless Trunk Monkey

Sailormilan2
12-01-2011, 6:06 AM
Tanker Garand in 308 Win. Don't have to worry about mag springs taking a set. With carefull search one can often find a folding stock to put it in to make it even more compact.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/Sailormilan2/Tankers7-1.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/Sailormilan2/StandardTanker1-1.jpg