PDA

View Full Version : Armor

neomedic
02-27-2007, 9:10 PM
Not sure where to put this but, if I wanted some level III or IIIA armor, what's a good company.

Not sure if I would get one, but when I went to the Ontario Gun SHow, I saw some and I was tempted.

Thanks.

02-27-2007, 9:22 PM
Check out Dragon Skin. It is fairly new, but worth taking a look at.

kap
02-27-2007, 9:24 PM
Dragon skin runs in the thousands (note the "s") of dollar range, but apparently well worth it if necessary. We were joking about a group buy a few months ago.

neomedic
02-27-2007, 9:28 PM
dragon skin is way too much and I will never need anything that crazy and did I mention its way too much.

It's more of novelty than anything else. Even if someone broke into my home, its not like I have TIME to put it on...

02-27-2007, 9:41 PM
If it is for a novelty then check out Ebay. The way I see it, if your chest is worth a couple hundred bucks, put a couple hundred dollar vest on. If your chest is more valuable, buy what you can afford.

Kevlarman
02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Level IIIa is still soft armor, so any of the big names will do: Second Chance (but not the Zylon vests!), Point Blank (who make the USGI Interceptors), PACA, etc.

m1371
02-28-2007, 1:05 AM
Not sure where to put this but, if I wanted some level III or IIIA armor, what's a good company.

Not sure if I would get one, but when I went to the Ontario Gun SHow, I saw some and I was tempted.

Thanks.

What do you intend to use it for? THAT is the first factor that should be driving your options.

Is this something you are going to be wearing for extended periods concealed?

Is it something you're going to use for "tactical" purposes, with the rifle plates and a full-on magazine set up?

Is it just to throw on at a range for safety purposes and no need to conceal it?

Do you want/need it to stop pistol rounds or rifle rounds?

My suggestion would be to figure out what you want it for then take a look here to get spun up on "BodyArmor 101" : http://bulletproofme.com/

I would strongly recommend against buying ANY bodyarmor at a local gunshow from "some guy" who made it himself. Neither would I buy soft armor or rifle plates off eBay. Get it from a reputable source and don't buy cheap.

Remember, there is a difference between being a cheapskate (i.e.- buying the cheapest bodyarmor you can find) and getting a good deal on a good rig.

ETA: Feel free to PM me with specific questions you might have. I will try to assist you the best I can.

Shenaniguns
02-28-2007, 7:44 AM
I bought my Level II Kevlar from BPM :D

What do you intend to use it for? THAT is the first factor that should be driving your options.

Is this something you are going to be wearing for extended periods concealed?

Is it something you're going to use for "tactical" purposes, with the rifle plates and a full-on magazine set up?

Is it just to throw on at a range for safety purposes and no need to conceal it?

Do you want/need it to stop pistol rounds or rifle rounds?

My suggestion would be to figure out what you want it for then take a look here to get spun up on "BodyArmor 101" : http://bulletproofme.com/

I would strongly recommend against buying ANY bodyarmor at a local gunshow from "some guy" who made it himself. Neither would I buy soft armor or rifle plates off eBay. Get it from a reputable source and don't buy cheap.

Remember, there is a difference between being a cheapskate (i.e.- buying the cheapest bodyarmor you can find) and getting a good deal on a good rig.

ETA: Feel free to PM me with specific questions you might have. I will try to assist you the best I can.