PDA

View Full Version : Painted one of my AK'S

Deadon
11-28-2011, 3:49 PM
As some of you know I have a few AK's. Si I decided to make a couple Tactical looking. First one is a 5.45x39 I think the paint might be too light, thoughts?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0233-1.jpg

21SF
11-28-2011, 3:50 PM
Color is ok just needs some contrast.

RustyMacHine
11-28-2011, 3:50 PM
As some of you know I have a few AK's. Si I decided to make a couple Tactical looking. First one is a 5.45x39 I think the paint might be too light, thoughts?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0233-1.jpg

Where's the details?

What type of paint...

safewaysecurity
11-28-2011, 3:51 PM
Tacticool AKs just don't sit right with me. I really don't like the look. The wood is what gives it characters.

FatalKitty
11-28-2011, 3:54 PM
did you use Krylon? that is the color I used to paint my AR.

didn't last long. almost 9000 rounds and it's pretty much black again.

for sure don't use any CLP on it

zfields
11-28-2011, 3:54 PM
Need some contrasting color.

tujungatoes
11-28-2011, 3:55 PM
The color looks ok. Might throw some darker brown shades in there to bring it to life. I'd do the mag too.

How do you achieve any cheek weld and see through the optic with that stock adapter?:confused:

zfields
11-28-2011, 3:59 PM
The color looks ok. Might throw some darker brown shades in there to bring it to life. I'd do the mag too.

How do you achieve any cheek weld and see through the optic with that stock adapter?:confused:

I didnt even want to bring that up. One of the ugliest stock adapters I have seen...sorry OP.

Deadon
11-28-2011, 4:19 PM
I didnt even want to bring that up. One of the ugliest stock adapters I have seen...sorry OP.

Eh its all good. Everyone have their own ideas.
I have the same setup on two other AK's and have no problem at all with the sight. It works really well to tell ya the truth.
Yeah this one is just spray paint. I have a blasting cabinet so if I like the color Ill just blast it and then use Cerakote, that stuff is solid. Well now that I confirmed what I thought Im going to blast it and do something else.

twinjetguy
11-28-2011, 4:57 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the tactical AK look myself either. That being said, I do like the color quite a bit. Like others have said, I think it needs some contrast, maybe mix in some black here and there. Other than that, I think you are onto something very cool and different.

:thumbsup:

NorCalK9.com
11-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Bud it's bad@ss! When you have as many as I do its ok to mess around with 1or2... I have alot in original config cause I love originals but truth is I want my go to rifles as lite as possible so I use polymer with top rail for red dot

Richard Erichsen
11-28-2011, 6:00 PM
Tacticool AKs just don't sit right with me. I really don't like the look. The wood is what gives it characters.

"Tacticool" is probably better defined as "modernized" vs. "traditional." Russia, Bulgaria, Poland, Finland, Israel, South Africa, and many of the Eastern European countries still fielding one variant of the AK or another have long since upgraded furniture and optics mounts. In the end, they are still all AKs. If the looks don't suit you, the wonder of our modern age is choices in both. Brand spankin' new wood (in your choice of materials and laminates) and all sorts of polymer and aluminum furniture has been available for several years now. Some (most?) is total garbage, but several vendors/manufacturers make quality modern upgrades for the old war horse.

Countries that fielded the AK for decades may abandon the platform entirely for a more "modern" weapon (from the likes of FN, HK or over here in the form of the Colt AR15 or its multitude of clones), or they can upgrade the existing stocks of weapons with new barrels (for 5.56x45 mm, if they chose to use the NATO chambering), new furniture and new optics and mounts. Upgrading the existing weapons is usually cheaper and even if it isn't is still fairly commonplace.

Like the looks or not, the AK that will soldier on well into the 21st century in the hands of professional armies will be modernized arms. There are already two main categories of AKs spread across the world in various conflict zones: 9th and 10th hand relics on their original barrels with well worn or missing furniture, usually in the hands of a desperately poor villager who might have bartered for his/her weapon for a sack of grain or a young goat. The second type is modernized with new furniture, rail mounts, optics and the likes intended to be fielded by a professional military. Milled receivers, blued steel and wood furniture while more attractive are an anachronism on modern firearms at this point. What makes the AK "charming" in my view is less appearance (they are all butt ugly, this isn't a hand crafted sporting rifle with engravings and inlays) than on it's mechanical simplicity and robustness.

R

ZX-10R
11-28-2011, 6:11 PM
"Tacticool" is probably better defined as "modernized" vs. "traditional." Russia, Bulgaria, Poland, Finland, Israel, South Africa, and many of the Eastern European countries still fielding one variant of the AK or another have long since upgraded furniture and optics mounts. In the end, they are still all AKs. If the looks don't suit you, the wonder of our modern age is choices in both. Brand spankin' new wood (in your choice of materials and laminates) and all sorts of polymer and aluminum furniture has been available for several years now. Some (most?) is total garbage, but several vendors/manufacturers make quality modern upgrades for the old war horse.

Countries that fielded the AK for decades may abandon the platform entirely for a more "modern" weapon (from the likes of FN, HK or over here in the form of the Colt AR15 or its multitude of clones), or they can upgrade the existing stocks of weapons with new barrels (for 5.56x45 mm, if they chose to use the NATO chambering), new furniture and new optics and mounts. Upgrading the existing weapons is usually cheaper and even if it isn't is still fairly commonplace.

Like the looks or not, the AK that will soldier on well into the 21st century in the hands of professional armies will be modernized arms. There are already two main categories of AKs spread across the world in various conflict zones: 9th and 10th hand relics on their original barrels with well worn or missing furniture, usually in the hands of a desperately poor villager who might have bartered for his/her weapon for a sack of grain or a young goat. The second type is modernized with new furniture, rail mounts, optics and the likes intended to be fielded by a professional military. Milled receivers, blued steel and wood furniture are an anachronism at this point. What makes the AK "charming" in my view is less appearance (they are all butt ugly, this isn't a hand crafted sporting rifle with engravings and inlays) than on it's mechanical simplicity and robustness.

R

Well stated. I like his rifle...Stock helps him with LOP and the rail helps him with a RD for fast acquisition. Good job OP.

Diabolus
11-28-2011, 6:38 PM
I'd hit it with something a little darker to break it up a bit.

Tier One Arms
11-28-2011, 7:03 PM
I agree with what most are saying, it needs a little more dark. BTW is that a Cerakoted Brunt Bronze gun in your AV? If so, please post up some pictures.

Thanks

chozenfew805
11-28-2011, 9:25 PM
Looks good but like what everyone else has mentioned, contrast would be icing on top. Maybe coyote brown and a light od green pattern here or there;) emphasis on maybe;)

mrvash
11-28-2011, 9:27 PM
I may be just my computer, but I don't see any photos of said painted rifle :(

bsg
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
looks like a professional paint job to me. here's the $64,000.00 question: do you like it?

Mamluke
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
WTF!!!!

Mr. Kalashnikov is scratching his head silly!!!

What did you do dude?!...it looks like a freaking TOY GUN, not even on par with an airsoft rifle, kinda looks like the water gun I bought for my nephew. YOU FU@#$% UP PAL, BIG TIME, I mean major league screw up with sorry as@#$ air brush! No sinister or evil element...

& don't even think of brandishing that thing on a robber in a home invasion situation; they'll laugh out loud on....... oh wait; it may work though as they may die of laughter .... :D

:hide:

Deadon
11-29-2011, 12:54 AM
WTF!!!!

Mr. Kalashnikov is scratching his head silly!!!

What did you do dude?!...it looks like a freaking TOY GUN, not even on par with an airsoft rifle, kinda looks like the water gun I bought for my nephew. YOU FU@#$% UP PAL, BIG TIME, I mean major league screw up with sorry as@#$ air brush! No sinister or evil element...

& don't even think of brandishing that thing on a robber in a home invasion situation; they'll laugh out loud on....... oh wait; it may work though as they may die of laughter .... :D

:hide:

Its funny you say that. When I bought my first AK my wife was like what the hell is that! Looks like a toy! Small gun that just looks fake. Needless to say I had to sit her down,lol.
Eh like I said I have enough wood AK's so no biggie. Im into this parts kit thing right now so my Saiga's were on the block anyway. Either way it will look sweet when its done. Well sweet to those that have a open mind.:p

Scott Connors
11-29-2011, 12:58 AM
What rail is that on your rifle? It looks to me as if that's a converted Saiga, I was wondering if the fore end was converted to mil configuration or if the rail went on w/o any alteration. It looks good to me.

maxwellca21
11-29-2011, 1:12 AM
great! barf color

Mamluke
11-29-2011, 8:33 AM
Its funny you say that. When I bought my first AK my wife was like what the hell is that! Looks like a toy! Small gun that just looks fake. Needless to say I had to sit her down,lol.
Eh like I said I have enough wood AK's so no biggie. Im into this parts kit thing right now so my Saiga's were on the block anyway. Either way it will look sweet when its done. Well sweet to those that have a open mind.:p

You win the award for best in show AK ............... at the WAX museum,

My neighbor is a sculptor, he said that thing is on par with the statue of David, is it clay? He asked....... No, its a freaking real rifle I said!

His jaw dropped all the way to the floor ... he remained speechless for a while too, busy collecting his jaw...

,, Its getting the .. what is it thing in many circles... in that regard, you've succeeded beyond measure....

Nice paint work too ... :D

Deadon
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Lol funny Guy.

jonc
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
needs more BLACK on it

tujungatoes
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Wow Mamluke. Who pissed in your cheerios?

I know he asked for opinions, but if your opinion is "f*&%!# you" maybe you ought to just keep it to yourself.

techshot
11-29-2011, 1:43 PM
I think it looks great tbh, throw a little dark grey on there and it would have a nice urban concrete vibe going on.

loosewreck
11-29-2011, 1:50 PM
I think it looks great tbh, throw a little dark grey on there and it would have a nice urban concrete vibe going on.

+1 But I think you need a little contrast, another color perhaps, or maybe some wear and tear will make it look real sweet.

Peter W Bush
11-29-2011, 2:13 PM
Look into an R&R guns (IIRC) AK to AR stock adapter and it will feel much better. The rifle doesn't float my boat but my opinion is worth what you paid for it lol

doc1buc
11-29-2011, 4:38 PM
nice paint job but I do concur with two points:
1. Need some contrast
2. It isn't for me

Arnelcheeze
11-29-2011, 4:50 PM
I love both the modernized and traditional AK's, this is why i will be getting another one! why not? and like the OP said he has a few. BTW, how does the paint hold up against the safety lever where it slides?

tujungatoes
11-29-2011, 5:09 PM
AFAIK Nothing holds up to the safety lever.

Mamluke
11-29-2011, 9:37 PM
Wow Mamluke. Who pissed in your cheerios?

I know he asked for opinions, but if your opinion is "f*&%!# you" maybe you ought to just keep it to yourself.

When I first came here to CGN, a bunch of you guys dragged my sorry a$%^ in the mud & tossed me around like a hot potato on the grill.... so yeah, I look & strive for a 'payback' opportunity...dig?!! ... :43:

.. although in this instance, I thought I was too kind... :chris: ...

..JK OP ... :D

FiveSeven
11-29-2011, 9:54 PM
....... a bunch of you guys dragged my sorry a$%^ in the mud & tossed me around like a hot potato on the grill....

Probably happened someplace else, quite possibly offline to.
:smilielol5:

OP. Looks good, except for the stock and maybe the rail..... Not my preference, but that's just me.

Deadon
11-30-2011, 9:16 AM
Ok what about this color?:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0357.jpg

FiveSeven
11-30-2011, 9:20 AM
Much better... I like.

OffGrid
11-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I thought the tactical look was all black???

Man I need to catch up. So grandpa was tactical when he spray painted his old duck gun? My family tree just got more bad asser! :D

Deadon, I think they both look good but then I like painting my guns too. Some of my buddies think Iím a little Redneck Ninja though so take it for what itís worth. I just tell them the paint job must work because every deer, squirrel, bird or hog I shot evidently didnít see it coming.

Iím just sad that I canít be a tactical mall ninja because the closest mall is two hours away, I donít look good in black pajamas and my wife said I canít.
:(

Deadon
11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Theres more to this digital picture then you think:cool2: It will be coated in Cerakote when its done.
Yeah my modding days effect my modding guns also. Just something to tinker with.

Mamluke
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Ok what about this color?:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0357.jpg

...ah.... DeadWrong...

It looks FLAT bro! Not too late though! You can still salvage that blunder by turning it into a camouflage sinister looking mean rifle!
Put some browns, OD green, Desert tan in the mix, make the lines dynamic & fluid, no sharp angles since the rifle has them in its make up already...

You can do it bro, YES YOU CAN!

.... :popcorn: ....

Deadon
11-30-2011, 1:09 PM
You didnt get the digital picture post? Ok OK Ive been going for Digital camo from the start. It just takes time. Its hard to tell but there are squares in that green pic but I didnt pull them off yet.
I thought I would post the pics as progress but that would be no fun:D Now after all this I just hope it turns out, this is the first time Ive done it.

Deadon
11-30-2011, 1:19 PM
Couple progress pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0362-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0363-1.jpg

hcbr
11-30-2011, 1:46 PM
hurry up , finish, show us your finished product already ;)

RobGR
11-30-2011, 6:43 PM
Great paint job, on the original khaki, I dig it, especially if you're fielding it out in the desert. It'll start to looking better once the paint starts to wear off, giving it a rugged and used appeal.

This digi print is going to be interesting though. Saw some guy's multicam AK on youtube recently, looked very appealing.