View Full Version : Bushmaster Varmint Special

11-28-2011, 1:30 PM
While visiting my mother out of state for the holiday, she gave me my late father's Bushmaster Varmint Special. Is there anyway to modify this rifle with a MonsterMan grip and a bullet button to make it legal in CA?

11-28-2011, 1:45 PM
Well im not sure if that perticular rifle is on the "list"

But if it is not you dont need a MM grip AND bullet button just one or the other.

11-28-2011, 1:58 PM
The Bushmaster AR's are a banned by name, so that receiver needs to stay out of state.

If it were me, I would take the upper half, the stock assembly and the trigger group off of the rifle and ship it to yourself in CA (these are very easy items to remove). Leave the rest of the lower half with your mom in whatever state it currently resides is. I'd keep it though, as who knows, you might move some day and be able to use it in another state.

When back in CA, go out and buy either a new complete CA Legal lower half for around $300 or a stripped receiver and a lower parts kit (minus trigger group for some savings) for even less and build your own (simple hand tools required). Add a bullet button or other mag lock device to the lower (if there are features on the lower such as a pistol grip, flash hider, etc, see flow chart at top of website) or a monsterman grip if there are no features and you prefer that to a fixed magazine. Once thats done, put your Bushmaster lower on there and your good to go.

11-28-2011, 2:10 PM
To clarify, all Bushmaster XM15's are banned by name. If your rifle is not marked XM15 it is possible that the lower is legal in CA but I would recommend some serious research on this prior to bringing to to CA. However, that being said, I personally wouldnt want to own a non registered (pior to the ban they could be registered as assualt weapons and kept legally) Bushmaster AR15 in CA at this time as the risk of a negative contact with uneducated LE remains high in some areas.

11-28-2011, 2:17 PM
need to read the lower. ^ if it says XM-15... you can't bring it in.

I'd take the upper and the Stock, buffer, spring and extension tube. Leave the lower With Pistol grip at moms house for when you come to visit.

a Lower cost about $170 out the door after all is said and done.
an LPK for it cost about $75 with Pistol grip.

11-28-2011, 2:21 PM
Thanks for the useful information.

11-28-2011, 3:06 PM
All you need is a stripped lower. If your in so cal just go to riflegear. $99.00 plus DROS and tax. All you to do is change the lower parts from yours to the new lower. Its all interchangeable. The upper will attach with the same twp pins. You tube and here calguns you will find all the help you need.

11-28-2011, 5:43 PM
Double check there is no "XM15" anywhere on the receiver (usually on the left of the mag-well).

If not, it is legal to posses here in Calli.

The Varmint Special is a late model from the hunting line. These are very much post-ban.

01-17-2012, 3:13 PM
I wanted to bring back this thread instead of starting a new one. I am in the market for a varmint style upper 20"+, is bushmaster a quality brand to trust? Just based on the few reviews Ive read on the predator uppers, the opinion seems mixed. Any input would be appreciated.