PDA

View Full Version : New Project: Lightest possible "legal length" K.I.S.S. AR15 - Update: Weight Inside!

Kingpin.SC
11-28-2011, 12:22 PM
So, I have decided to try a new build out, and I'm actually pretty excited about it.

Prologue: I "built" my first 16" AR15 not too long ago, and totally spaced out when ordering the upper receiver. Instead of a lightweight or standard profile barrel, I ordered a heavy barrel'd upper. I've been extremely happy with the build, but the weight kills me towards the end of the day. I love the mid-length gas system for a number of reasons that I won't get into, as not to take away from the original point of this thread. The important thing to note is, I decided to keep the middy theme going with this build.

My original thoughts were to try something new, and go with a 14.5" barrel. Primarily for the small weight savings, and shorter length vs. a comparable 16" barrel. I already have an AR15 that I can completely customize, so I don't mind having one that is built for only 1 purpose. Also, I think that a 14.5" middy looks dead sexy with the standard M4 hand guards in a K.I.S.S. configuration.

This is basically the "look" I'm going for:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-URG-MID-14-BFH-4.jpg

I've found some great deals here on the forum, and have been piecing together my new rifle for a few months now. However, the time has come where I am literally one part away from having everything I need to assemble a complete rifle!

Here is what I've got at the moment:

- 80% AR receiver (going to be milling it out this Saturday over at Justin/Roccobro's)

- Daniel Defense 14.5" Light-Weight, Mid-Length Barrel

- Extended A2 birdcage

- BCM "Blem" Flat-Top Upper Receiver

- Basic Mil-Surplus parts kit, mil-spec buffer tube, etc.

- Rock River Chrome BCG

- Colt basic M4 stock

- Armalite Standard Mid-Length hand guards

- Delta Ring / Barrel Nut / Hand Guard Retainer (no clue of what this is actually called.. lol :D )

- Mid-Length Gas Tube

- 5x Standard M4 Aluminum 30rd mags, converted to 10-rounders

The only thing that I am missing is the .625" A2 front sight post, but I have one on order from BCM.

So, I'm thinking that after everything is assembled, I'll throw a Troy or MI buis on it, and possibly an Aimpoint micro or other light-weight red-dot optic.

What do you guys think? I'm interested to hear your comments, ideas, and suggestions.

UPDATE #1 - Pics of the finished product:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3210/lightweightar1501.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9577/lightweightar1502.jpg

Just over 30" from stock to birdcage.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5877/lightweightar1503.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4323/lightweightar1504.jpg

Update #2 - FINALLY got a chance to weigh the rifle!

She weighs in at............. ~ 5.75-5.85 lbs! Makes me EXTREMELY happy!!

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 12:32 PM
- Delta Ring / Barrel Nut / Hand Guard Retainer (no clue of what this is actually called.. lol )

Slip ring, Weld Spring, Delta Ring.

The Virus
11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
so you will end up with basically an m-4 clone. nothing wrong with that

Kingpin.SC
11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Slip ring, Weld Spring, Delta Ring.

And that little triangular metal piece that goes up against the front sight post. That's the one that I forget the name of on a daily basis. lol

so you will end up with basically an m-4 clone. nothing wrong with that

Yup. But a Light-Weight, Mid-Length profile one. :D

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
^ Handguard cap. :)

-hanko
11-28-2011, 1:11 PM
what's the barrel diameter?...it looks to me like government profile but hard to tell...I'd definitely pick a lightweight profile barrel and can the m4.

-hanko

Kingpin.SC
11-28-2011, 2:02 PM
^ Handguard cap. :)

Yeah, that's it! :D

what's the barrel diameter?...it looks to me like government profile but hard to tell...I'd definitely pick a lightweight profile barrel and can the m4.

-hanko

That was just a picture of the general "look" that I was going for. This is a link to the exact barrel that I purchased:

14.5" 5.56MM LIGHTWEIGHT MID-LENGTH CHF BARREL - STRIPPED (https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/14-5-inch-chf-barrels/14-5-5-56mm-lightweight-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html)

FatalKitty
11-28-2011, 2:13 PM
aww, I like my HBAR and wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

The Virus
11-28-2011, 3:34 PM
Go pencil barrel! even lighter!!

gun toting monkeyboy
11-28-2011, 3:44 PM
I went with a Double Star light weight barrel from Brownell's for my lightweight build. It is basically an A1 carbine barrel. And I cheated and used a Cavalry Arms polymer lower. Mine weighs in at just over 6 pounds empty. You can shoot it one handed like a pistol.

-Mb

BBB114
11-28-2011, 5:25 PM
I wanted the same thing, but built one around a 16in pencil barrel a friend has lying around. I love it. I think mid length 14.5 would be even better! I would NOT put optics on it. I shoot mine all day long out to 300 with iron sights and it does not miss. Its my go to gun for fun or showing people how to shoot. I'm sick of lugging around heavy rifles! The light ones do the same thing.

Kingpin.SC
12-04-2011, 1:30 PM
Finished the upper, and milled out my receiver(s) over at Roccobro's yesterday. Everything came out great!! Just waiting on my buffer tube assy. to arrive, and I'll post pics of the finished product. I am LOVING the weight, and the feel of this thing!

JJ1911
12-04-2011, 2:16 PM
My lightweight ar has a noveske light weight upper and it is noticeably lighter than most other buddies ars.

Kingpin.SC
12-05-2011, 1:01 AM
Just slapped the upper onto my other completed lower for a quick pic. I friggin' love this thing!

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5835/14inchbuild01.jpg

protoolsnerd
12-05-2011, 1:14 AM
I would look into a skeletonized stock acu i think would be one of the favored ones . Also the pencil barrel will reduce the weight even farther. I've had a project like this in my head for a while . And you're right there with me.

Kingpin.SC
12-05-2011, 5:56 PM
I actually found a site that showed some interesting results about the skeletonized stock vs the standard colt stock. Apparently, it actually does weight slightly more than the Colt.

glock7
12-06-2011, 4:31 AM
Looks good, though I'd swap out the bcg for a bcm or dd.

32blownhemi
12-06-2011, 4:45 AM
I'm new at this so please excuse if I'm missing the obvious but isn't this a Short Barreled Rifle {SBR} ??? Is this legal cuz of the 80% lower??? Thanks, Bill

Kingpin.SC
12-06-2011, 2:16 PM
I'm new at this so please excuse if I'm missing the obvious but isn't this a Short Barreled Rifle {SBR} ??? Is this legal cuz of the 80% lower??? Thanks, Bill

This configuration is legal, because the barrel is at an overall "permanent" length of over 16". In order to do this, I had to permanently attach (pin & weld) a muzzle device onto the 14.5" barrel.

I did this because starting with a 16" barrel, I would extend its overall length by at least 1.5" by adding a muzzle device, not to mention that there is already an additional 1.5" of steel on the 16" barrel vs the 14.5" barrel.

This way, I am exactly at 16.1" with my muzzle device pinned/welded to my 14.5" barrel. Just something that I decided to do to maximize weight savings.

-hanko
12-06-2011, 2:36 PM
So the thread title is New Project: Lightest possible "legal length" K.I.S.S. AR15...

...:confused: I apparently missed how much she weighs...

-hanko

dfletcher
12-06-2011, 2:52 PM

-hanko

That would be my choice too. I'd add a 7 1/2" fixed stock of the hollow tube type from ACE or one of their minimalist "L" shaped versions.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-06-2011, 3:35 PM
That would be my choice too. I'd add a 7 1/2" fixed stock of the hollow tube type from ACE or one of their minimalist "L" shaped versions.

Like this:
http://riflestocks.com/store/product95.html

or this:
http://riflestocks.com/store/product93.html

I have used both, and they hold up reasonably well. Do NOT get the ultralight version through Midway. They have the wrong kit listed on their website, and it doesn't come with all of the parts you need to make it work on an AR. Ask me how I know this... :o

-Mb

wash
12-06-2011, 3:37 PM
Troy makes a non-folding "BUIS" that is very small and probably one of the lightest rear sights out there while still being durable and metal (sorry MBUS, you don't make the cut for a primarily iron sight AR).

I like the ACE ultralite fixed stock but it might be heavier with the rifle buffer and tube. Entry length will be lighter but if you need more LOP, too bad.

Agent Tikki
12-06-2011, 3:40 PM
Magpul Mbus will make it even lighter!

protoolsnerd
12-06-2011, 5:06 PM
I agree, the mbus, while being nice and weather resistant , just not my fav kind of sight . ARMS make a better bus that's polymer

But i agree with the above post, troy make a really teeny tiny set of battlesights

FastFinger
12-06-2011, 5:54 PM
If you are serious about having the "lightest possible" you'd probably start with a Plumbcrazy receiver. Any other lower would just be "light".

Kingpin.SC
12-15-2011, 4:02 PM
Took the rifle out to the range this past weekend, and it performed flawlessly. It is strange just how much of a difference in "kick" it had vs my heavy-profile 16" build. It felt like a carbine with a little more snap to it. Quite strange, but definitely insanely fun to shoot, and VERY easy to move around with.

Overall, I am very happy that I went forward with this build. The only thing that I may change is the stock. Not 100% decided on that one yet.

MongooseV8
12-15-2011, 6:50 PM
I might have missed it but what does it weigh in at?

BlackViper
12-15-2011, 9:06 PM
Bravo Company is going to release a lightweight EAG carbine in the new year IIRC. I can't find the issue but it was in the SWAT mag that all the articles about women in it.

jonzer77
12-15-2011, 9:40 PM
How is the blem bcm upper receiver? I have been looking at one for a 6.8 I am building.

tonelar
12-15-2011, 9:43 PM
I like the 16" middy look... So of course a 14.5" middy should look better.

You mention a standard mid length m4 handguard... how does that differ from a middy AR handguard?

carnelianbay
12-15-2011, 9:55 PM
So the thread title is New Project: Lightest possible "legal length" K.I.S.S. AR15...

...:confused: I apparently missed how much she weighs...

-hanko
^^^ bump. My thoughts exactly.

Is she under 7lbs?

Kingpin.SC
12-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Haven't gotten her on a scale as of yet. I'm going to try to get around to it this weekend.

Kingpin.SC
01-12-2012, 8:35 PM
FINALLY got a chance to weigh the rifle!

She weighs in at............. ~ 5.75-5.85 lbs! Makes me EXTREMELY happy.