PDA

View Full Version : Stupid AR/AK question :):):)

ap3572001
11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Just thought about it :)

Why do people in CA want to buy AR's and AK's and other similar rifles with a BB and a ten round mag restriction?

What are some of the reasons?

There ARE rifles available ( not too many) that can be legally used with any magazines and magazine release button.

Mini -14's, M1A's, M1 carabines, MR1's, Keltec,PC9 9mm etc.

zfields
11-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Lots of people do AR/AK featureless rifles.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZET7VACKUoE/Tctma3iZ9xI/AAAAAAAAAMM/76QF_Zzrc68/s912/DSC00418.JPG

Thats how mine was set up.

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I use 75 round drums in some of my AKs. I use 30 and 40 round mags in some of my ARs. So, there are some ARs and AKs available to California residents which do not need magazine locks and are legally able to have detachable magazines of any capacity. I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to get at?????

techshot
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Most of the guns you listed are either expensive ( M1A's, MR1 ). the others are carbine type rifles i guess you could call them, smaller rounds. Minis are nice, but for the same price you can roll a kiss ar, or a romy g ak. Go featureless if you wanna use your big mags.

Sicarius
11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
People will always want what they can't have. CA doesn't want you to have an EBR thus everybody wants to have one... or more... acutally.
Kevin

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 11:51 AM
because a mini-14 can't do what an AR can...and an SKS can't do what a AK can. Every rifle has more too it then how to remove its magazine.

armandolo
11-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Cause they are battle proven coolest looking rifles ;-)

p2rider426
11-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Why do people in CA want to buy AR's and AK's and other similar rifles with a BB and a ten round mag restriction? 1.) You don't have to run a bullet button on AR/AK platforms, only if you want to have one or more evil features. There is nothing about the rifle receivers that force you to run a BB, only the accessories. 2.) All firearms in Cali have a 10 rd mag restriction unless you've owned larger capacity magazines for the last 12+ years, it is not exclusive to these platforms.

What are some of the reasons? AR is a very accurate, easy to work, reliable, versatile and now affordable platform. AK platform isn't so accurate but they are extremely reliable, versatile and easy to work on also

There ARE rifles available ( not too many) that can be legally used with any magazines and magazine release button. None of those rifles can be use with "any magazine" they all have to be 10 rounders too, unless you've owned them before 2000, and as stated earlier, you do not HAVE to run a BB on an AR/AK unless you have one with evil features. I could very easily slap a flash suppressor on any of those rifles you listed then you would need a BB

I don't see why you don't understand the popularity of the AR/AK. I have both, as well as an M1 carbine and a Mini-14 as you have listed and the AR/AK platforms are vastly superior in my opinion

CK_32
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Because the man says we can't :punk:

ap3572001
11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Wait a min. I know and I agree that AK and AR platforms are very , very good.
It might be just me, but to me a rifle w/o a BB and with a pre-ban mag is just a different animal.

ap3572001
11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't see why you don't understand the popularity of the AR/AK. I have both, as well as an M1 carbine and a Mini-14 as you have listed and the AR/AK platforms are vastly superior in my opinion

A BB equiped AR with a 10 round mag is better than a new mini-14 with a couple of Ruger 30 rd mags? Better in which way? Better for what?

1lostinspace
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Get your self a Saiga and you will have the ability to shoot and the best of both worlds.

zfields
11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Get your self a Saiga and you will have the ability to shoot and the best of both worlds.

Just be sure to meet 922r if you decide to modify it to use fullsize mags.

1lostinspace
11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
A BB equiped AR with a 10 round mag is better than a new mini-14 with a couple of Ruger 30 rd mags? Better in which way? Better for what?

Mini 14 is a great weapon but does not have the ergo, accuracy and control of a good AR 15. AK's are far more reliable then any Mini14 or AR 15 piston or not.
If you have a Mini that's great if your looking for a new rifle then a Siaga is what you might be looking at. You can have them 922r compliant and still use 30 surplus mags.

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM

AR15, accuracy, ergonomics, customization, modularization, aftermarket support, 100 different calibers with one firearm, proved to be reliable, field repairable, over 500 different manufactures all making swappable parts.

mini-14, 30rd round magazine.

yeah ok :rolleyes:

p2rider426
11-28-2011, 1:01 PM

Well if you own pre-ban mags for a mini-14 then sure, 30rd mags are way more fun. I own pre-ban mags for our m1 carbine but nothing else, so I don't have that luxury.

For me though, I do a bit of varmint hunting and plinking at the range, 10rd BB mags are fine for me. I don't need to dump a 30rd mag every time I see a ground squirrel making a run for it, dumping 10 at a time is already hard enough for my wallet, LOL. My S&W AR cost the same or a bit less than a standard mini-14, it is far more accurate than any mini I've seen, has a plethora of aftermarket support, it is ridiculously easy to take down and clean, has never had a FTF or FTE, and I can swap out my upper for one of any 10 different calibers out there without having to pay any fees for a whole new rifle.

In short, I recently purchased my first AR and I have seen the light. I used to be a stubborn hater of the black rifles, but man, these are fantastic rifles.

maxwellca21
11-28-2011, 1:09 PM

Why do people in CA want to buy AR's and AK's and other similar rifles with a BB and a ten round mag restriction?

There ARE rifles available ( not too many) that can be legally used with any magazines and magazine release button.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/15108500/images/1306809712484.jpg

stix213
11-28-2011, 1:12 PM

Not all problems take more than 10 rounds to solve

1forall
11-28-2011, 1:21 PM
Not all problems take more than 10 rounds to solve

I agree...

UNKNOWN SOLDIER
11-28-2011, 2:31 PM
Went to Ammobros this weekend and bought an Arsenal SGL-23. My question is can I remove the Bullet Button??

CSACANNONEER
11-28-2011, 2:53 PM
Went to Ammobros this weekend and bought an Arsenal SGL-23. My question is can I remove the Bullet Button??

If it has all the evil features removed, you can. Of course, Arsenals do not come with "bullet buttons". "Bullet Button" is a registered trade mark of a member here. Arsenals come with their own proprietary magazine locks.

jvpark
11-28-2011, 9:42 PM
Because they are not ARs and AKs...

MrPlink
11-28-2011, 10:38 PM
because I can
/thread

Ak714
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
You don't go and hit up on a cracked/smoked out ugly chick and pretend that she is a super model, do you?

aermotor
11-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Because not everyone is old and senile like you and didn't posses high cap mags before the ban. End this thread.

MrPlink
11-29-2011, 4:27 AM
Because not everyone is old and senile like you and didn't posses high cap mags before the ban. End this thread.

Hey, Im not (that) old or senile (yet) and I have pre-bans! :oji:

FourLoko
11-29-2011, 9:47 AM
Not a stupid question really. It ties into the debate in the other thread about actually training with the bullet button.

And it sucks that some of us are too young to logically have pre-ban high cap mags. I'd love to go featureless but I'm not a good liar.

And last but not least, 10 rounds is more fun than zero.

zfields
11-29-2011, 9:50 AM
10 rounds with free dropping mags > 10 rounds BB'd

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Simple....because the state doesn't want me to have one. I didn't want an AR or an AK until Kali said NO. I have my 10 round mags and the Raddlock, when I visit my friends and family out of state I bring along my 20 and 30 round mags and let fly.

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Easy with the "old and senile" comments you whipper snapper!!:oji:
+1 on this!!:D

21SF
11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
This thread = stupid as ever!

His point has been made moot several times yet he skips those responces, nice.

AR/AK's can be made featureless and run standard cap mags JUST LIKE YOUR MINI 14 !
No bullet buttons !!!

If you add a flash hider to a mini you have to have a bullet button.

aermotor
11-29-2011, 4:13 PM

Haha sorry, forgot to quote the OP, was meant for him and not you.

chesterthehero
11-29-2011, 4:27 PM
cuz ive wanted an AR and an AK since i was a kid... ive also always wanted a M1A but just have not gotten one yet...

Kauf
11-29-2011, 4:40 PM
Because M1 Garand > anything else. Idk how they could come up with a BB'd Garand anyway? The state was too dumbfounded by its greatness so they decided to not restrict it at all. :D

shy 7th
11-29-2011, 5:08 PM
I'm going to throw out another reason. I grew up with a lot of TV and a lot of videogames...

This:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/M16_rifle_series

vs.
This:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Mini-14 does not compare, especially on the videgame scene.

As a kid, if you asked me what an M16 was, I could tell you without hesitation and I could probably talk for a couple minutes about it... all non-technical and pop-culture of course.

If you asked me what a mini-14 was, you'd get an "i uhnno, what?" and shrugged shoulders.

Levetti
11-29-2011, 6:36 PM
I LIKE TURTLES, I MEAN PISTOL GRIPS!

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 7:46 PM
I'm going to throw out another reason. I grew up with a lot of TV and a lot of videogames...

This:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/M16_rifle_series

vs.
This:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Mini-14 does not compare, especially on the videgame scene.

As a kid, if you asked me what an M16 was, I could tell you without hesitation and I could probably talk for a couple minutes about it... all non-technical and pop-culture of course.

If you asked me what a mini-14 was, you'd get an "i uhnno, what?" and shrugged shoulders.

Umm, guess you're a bit too young to remember the A team.:shrug:

zfields
11-29-2011, 8:12 PM
[/B]
Umm, guess you're a bit too young to remember the A team.:shrug:

Grew up on Mr T pittyin foos.

CSACANNONEER
11-29-2011, 8:28 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!:D

Mini 14s ruled the TV scene for years.

coyotebait
11-29-2011, 8:35 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!:D

Mini 14s ruled the TV scene for years.

I'll never forget the episode where they made a gun that fired heads of lettuce....I gotta say, that was a stupid one. I loved that show though. You always knew with Jeeps were gonna flip, they had roll bars.

Lagduf
11-29-2011, 8:56 PM
Not everyone is old enough to have owned standard capacity magazines prior to 2000. Nor was I fortunate enough to have been given any. Purchased my own gun when I was 19 in 2003. Only firearm we had in my house growing up belonged to my father (a shotgun) which was inherited after the death of my grandfather. I learned to shoot from friends, not family. I found the gun culture, wasn't fortunate enough to grow up in it.

For what it's worth, in addition to ARs and AKs, I have an SU-16CA (mmmm featureless.) Fun rifle and I do enjoy the magazine release button.

But I can drop 30 round magazines all day from my ARs and AKs when I shoot out of state. There is more to the world than just California my friend.

kris smith
11-29-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm 19 and grew up watching the re runs of the a team that's why I bought my mini I lov it morethan my Ar.

HBrebel
11-30-2011, 8:27 AM
To me the bullet button is just another infringement of my rights. but it still must be done if I want to use my favorite rifle(saiga) I look at it like seat belts and hands free phone use while driving. If the cops catch you, you want to at least look like you are trying to "obey" big brother. Plus the BB can be removed easily in a shtf situation

ScottsBad
11-30-2011, 11:48 AM
I have two newer (2009) mini-14s with 16 inch barrels and compensators. Had one reworked by Accuracy Systems. I also own ARs, AKs, and SCARs.

The main reason I like the "black" rifles is ergonomics and flexibility. ARs are a little more accurate and there are lots of modifications you can make yourself if you don't like something about your rifle. On the Mini-14 you have fewer options. You can mix and match lowers with different uppers on an AR, and optics are readily available. Also, the Mini is chambered in .223, but people seem to get away with shooting 5.56 in them.

AKs are cheap, cheap to shoot, and more reliable than a brick. The parts are cheap, but they are not as easily modified as an AR.

I love the Mini, however, which is why I own them too. They are fun to shoot, very light, reliable, and they don't have the "black" rifle stigma (if you care about that).

AS FOR BULLET BUTTONS, they are a necessary evil in Comiefornia. A ten round mag is really not a big deal and they are very cheap. I also recommend buying 30 round magazine kits and leaving them disassembled or otherwise at home.

I use an index finger spike ring that I made for myself which extends out straight off the top of my knuckle (parallel to the top of my finger). This does not get in the way and makes mag changes fast. BTW - Some folks sell these rings which are made with the spike sticking up almost perpendicular to the finger. This doesn't look useful to me.

I hope this answers your question.

coyotebait
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I have two newer (2009) mini-14s with 16 inch barrels and compensators. Had one reworked by Accuracy Systems. I also own ARs, AKs, and SCARs.

The main reason I like the "black" rifles is ergonomics and flexibility. ARs are a little more accurate and there are lots of modifications you can make yourself if you don't like something about your rifle. On the Mini-14 you have fewer options. You can mix and match lowers with different uppers on an AR, and optics are readily available. Also, the Mini is chambered in .223, but people seem to get away with shooting 5.56 in them.

AKs are cheap, cheap to shoot, and more reliable than a brick. The parts are cheap, but they are not as easily modified as an AR.

I love the Mini, however, which is why I own them too. They are fun to shoot, very light, reliable, and they don't have the "black" rifle stigma (if you care about that).

AS FOR BULLET BUTTONS, they are a necessary evil in Comiefornia. A ten round mag is really not a big deal and they are very cheap. I also recommend buying 30 round magazine kits and leaving them disassembled or otherwise at home.

I use an index finger spike ring that I made for myself which extends out straight off the top of my knuckle (parallel to the top of my finger). This does not get in the way and makes mag changes fast. BTW - Some folks sell these rings which are made with the spike sticking up almost perpendicular to the finger. This doesn't look useful to me.

I hope this answers your question.

The Mini 14 (with the exception of the target model) is chambered in .223 Wylde.
http://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/JPCG223_46.pdf

rjf
11-30-2011, 4:21 PM
It's a poke in the eye to all the tyrannical politicians who tried to ban a tool because it scares them and puts limits on their power.

It's also family friendly fun.