View Full Version : How are the CAI Golanis these days?

11-28-2011, 7:53 AM
I had heard their quality control was a little better lately and I'm looking for an AK-style rifle in 5.56. No SLRs for us and I'm not particularly interested in converting a Saiga. I could be convinced to build from a kit if there's a good one available.. Any ideas?

11-28-2011, 8:03 AM
Mags are expensive.
My Golani functioned fine with brass cased 5.56. When I fired the steel cases, the rifle wouldn't extract all the time. a simple extractor was the culprit. Now she runs fine.

11-28-2011, 8:04 AM
Why so expensive? There aren't surplus mags available?

11-28-2011, 8:33 AM
I have the CAI Polish AKMS in 7.62x39 & it has been flawless with over 2500 rounds down the pipeline... So maybe the newer Golanis are better....

From what I heard, CAI Golani did have some issues in the old days, don't know about now though...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6cqaSg60VwufBMZz5vA653mjHNcZow QnDQ5U-ZvAjwwEUISKF

.... http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/eek5.gif .... http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/blxsuspicious.gif ...

11-28-2011, 8:42 AM
Yeah they had a batch of receivers that were out of spec but they did a recall and replaced them all. Good lord that's a gnarly failure..

11-28-2011, 8:47 AM
Yeah they had a batch of receivers that were out of spec but they did a recall and replaced them all. Good lord that's a gnarly failure..

Oh for sure, but if put together right, that's one heck of a rifle...

Here are some cool vids for you, the last one is my PERSONAL FAVORITE :D

Don't know which had more rate of fire, the Golani or the Beretta?! ... :D

... :popcorn: ...

11-28-2011, 10:55 AM
A friend of mine has a "newer" style caspian receiver and it has jamming issues. My "older" ORF receiver works just fine. Receiver or not, it is still a century product and still has its flaws. It is a toss up as to if you get one that works. If you do, check when the firearm was made because century warrants it for a year from when it was made, not when you purchase it.

11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Would it be worth building off a kit? I see reasonably priced kits and receivers in the $350 range..

11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
And where are all the 5.56 WASR-3s?

11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
With these rifles you are either going to get one that works or it won't period. Doesn't matter what receiver you have. The earlier ORF ones had alot more problems than the later caspian types. My recommendation is if you want to build a galil do it right. Drop the cash on a CNC warrior receiver and then get the kit of your choice. BTW if you are serious about having one, I would do it now, rather than later. The surplus IMI stuff is starting to slowly dry up, but there are still enough parts right now to grab what you need. Some of the US made stuff is hit and miss for them.

gun toting monkeyboy
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM

11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Galil's are great rifles but the only way I would own one is if it wasn't built by CAI.

11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I would build from a kit but I see lots of SAR kits and no AR kits for some reason.

11-29-2011, 8:06 PM
You are going to be a little hard pressed to find an AR kit. The only reason being people tend to want to build ARMs out of the AR kits more often than not since it is just a gasblock and handguard retainer swap from being one or the other. It also doesn't help that century holds a huge stock of them to build their variants. Might try heading over to the galil talk forums and see if anyone has a kit for sale there.

11-29-2011, 8:46 PM
I took a long hard look at a newer CAI Golani this year. I know you really cant get a solid idea without shooting the thing, but for the most part it seemed legit. My biggest qualm would have been the finish of the receiver itself. It looks like somebody tried to finish it with a dremel.