PDA

View Full Version : Good (not best) AR15 trigger group?

Swiss
11-28-2011, 6:54 AM
Love my S&W MP15 AR but that trigger sure is stiff. Can someone with some expertise recommend a good trigger group (2 stage, I guess) to replace it. I don't need or want to spend the $$ for top of the line, just a product that's dependable and performs well.

Also, I've seen narrow and wide pin types. Does anyone know which one is right for my rifle?

Thanks!

Tier One Arms
11-28-2011, 7:21 AM
Just go with a Geissele SSA (PM me for the cheapest price anywhere) the large pins are only if you have a pre-ban Colt lower, most peoples guns are small pin.

five.five-six
11-28-2011, 7:24 AM
RRA 2 stage NM

-hanko
11-28-2011, 7:29 AM
rra would be my quick choice...read the trigger reviews on arf.

-hanko

Diabolus
11-28-2011, 8:45 AM
Geissele SSA hands down.

HK Dave
11-28-2011, 8:49 AM
For the price of the RRA 2 stage, get yourself the Geissele S2S.... if you can find it. At the price, it is hands down the best trigger available for the AR15.

It's very difficult for me to tell the difference between my S2S and SSA trigger.

high_revs
11-28-2011, 8:50 AM
rra 2 stage if you want good but not best. i have a few of these.

motorwerks
11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
If you ask 100 people this question you're going to get 105 answers. I have a Rock River 2stage, JP, Geissele SSA-E, and 2 tweaked stock triggers. I like them all but they are all set up for very different things. For what I'm getting out of what you posted. I would look to ether A. Grab a set of the JP springs ($14.00) B. Rock River C. Geissele S2S or D. Geissele SSA. It all depends on what you have to spend, and what you really want to get out of your rifle.

Swiss
11-28-2011, 4:11 PM
Thanks all. Much obliged.

BraveUlysses
11-28-2011, 4:14 PM
RRA 2 stage NM

I agree with this: RRA 2 stage NM

Hoop
11-28-2011, 4:21 PM
I have several RRA 2 stage and one Geisselle SSA-E. The geisselle is better but only marginally so.

Jwood562
11-28-2011, 8:50 PM
timney. easy install, lifetime warranty and reliable great trigger pull

gfourth
11-28-2011, 9:41 PM
I second the yellow JP trigger and hammer springs. $9.99 at MidwayUSA.

I just installed these before my last outing and got some very nice results, pull was much lighter. Next, I need to smooth the engagement points. Not much to lose for $9.99

rabagley
11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I second the yellow JP trigger and hammer springs. $9.99 at MidwayUSA.

I just installed these before my last outing and got some very nice results, pull was much lighter. Next, I need to smooth the engagement points. Not much to lose for $9.99

One downside of the reduced power springs (without other mods) is increased lock time. If you're 99% bench shooting, this won't matter, but if you do dynamic shooting, you generally do whatever you can to reduce lock time so that the gun doesn't have much time to move between the trigger release and the bullet leaving the barrel.

If you cut the hook off the hammer and use the JP low power springs, you can get most of the lock time back, but it is an extra step and one that makes a lot of people nervous.

One other side effect is that mil-spec primers may not fire with the reduced power springs and the full weight hammer. Commercial ammo should have no problem.

MrPlink
11-29-2011, 3:25 AM
Next, I need to smooth the engagement points.[/B] Not much to lose for $9.99

thats key with those springs, the lighter pull but crunchy break just feels really odd to me

C4iGrant
11-29-2011, 6:12 AM
Love my S&W MP15 AR but that trigger sure is stiff. Can someone with some expertise recommend a good trigger group (2 stage, I guess) to replace it. I don't need or want to spend the $$ for top of the line, just a product that's dependable and performs well.

Also, I've seen narrow and wide pin types. Does anyone know which one is right for my rifle?

Thanks!

Dollar for dollar, the Geissele G2S is the best quality and value on the market.

The problem with them is that they are not longer sold as a seperate item (have to be sold in a firearm). We stock and sell them, but it won't do you any good.

C4

G2S
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Geissele/Geissele_G2S.jpg

darqhelmet
11-29-2011, 8:25 AM
I have had zero problems with the JP springs and lit primer hits. For ten bucks I would start there. If its not enough go with the sg2 or ssa.

17+1
11-29-2011, 9:04 AM
RRA 2 stage NM

My thoughts as well. I plan on using one in my next AR build.

Made my decision after one of the guys at Irvington Arms let me check his AR out that had one. Very nice...nice price too.

I have Timney's in my Mauser and my bull barrel AR. My wife has a fancy skeletonized one in her AR as well. Those are nice too but you said you wanted a 2 stage. I'd try one if you're unsure about what you like.

I have tuned 2 stage factory triggers which break at about 4ish lbs. in my M1 and M14.

The cheapest route would be to have a local 'smith tune your factory trigger. I have a 6mmIntl trigger job in my other AR. :cool: Breaks at about 4.5 lbs.

Sicarius
11-29-2011, 9:55 AM
Bang for the buck, you will be hard pressed to beat the RRA NM trigger.
Kevin

ExtremeX
11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
RRA 2 stage NM

+1

For the price you cant go wrong, I love mine.

HK Dave
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
What price are you guys getting the RRA NM?

I always thought they ran about $120... which puts you into Geissele S2S territory.

xrMike
11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
What price are you guys getting the RRA NM?

I always thought they ran about $120... which puts you into Geissele S2S territory.

Just the trigger group: $85

Trigger group + LPK: $125

(prices include shipping)

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html

Deadon
11-29-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.karrisguns.com/cmmg-ar15-2-stage-trigger-group

HK Dave
11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Just the trigger group: $85

Trigger group + LPK: $125

(prices include shipping)

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html

Ah $40 difference, I can see why some would opt for the RRA instead. :) Thanks

Swiss
11-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Does anyone think something's odd when Riflegear sells the RRA for $115 and AR15Sales has it for only $85? How reputable is the latter?

darqhelmet
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Never dealt with ar15sales, so I can't comment on their rep.

I tend to purchase everything from rifle gear. They have been great to me. I also will pony up a few more bucks to keep a local honest shop open.

ExtremeX
11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Does anyone think something's odd when Riflegear sells the RRA for $115 and AR15Sales has it for only $85? How reputable is the latter?

I'm tempted just to order from AR15Sales right now since I need another LPK and a RRA 2 Stage Trigger.

I'm guessing different shops move different volumes and have different overhead.

As long as its new, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

triggs75
11-29-2011, 1:17 PM
Dollar for dollar, the Geissele G2S is the best quality and value on the market.

The problem with them is that they are not longer sold as a seperate item (have to be sold in a firearm). We stock and sell them, but it won't do you any good.

C4

That blows, I was wondering why I have not been able to find any for sale.

xrMike
11-29-2011, 1:23 PM
http://www.karrisguns.com/cmmg-ar15-2-stage-trigger-group

That's interesting, those brass bearings they use for the pin holes. Seems like a good idea.

-----------

As for AR15Sales, I've ordered a couple times from them. No problems, quick delivery. I found them while reading arfcom, where there are many recommendations.

FatalKitty
11-29-2011, 1:26 PM
the trigger on my Dissipator has got to **** after all the abuse I've put it through - just looking through this thread to find what other options are out there... I will likely just go with a $20 standard mil-spec... it's been working fine for the last 10,000 rounds :)

Hoop
11-29-2011, 1:33 PM
I have picked up my last couple RRA 2 stages from the classifieds here. Another good option is the JP if you want a single stage i saw a 3.5lb one on another forum for 90$

C4iGrant
11-29-2011, 1:42 PM
That blows, I was wondering why I have not been able to find any for sale.

Yep. We do offer them as an option with our LPK though.

C4

triggs75
11-29-2011, 2:17 PM
Yep. We do offer them as an option with our LPK though.

C4

Ah, good to know as I have bought my LPK's through you and will continue. Noted for the future.

Thanks

Swiss
11-29-2011, 4:48 PM
I really don't know that much about trigger groups but am learning via this thread and other sources.

Can someone clarify the differences between the RRA NM 2 stage and the Geiselle SSA? Is the break just a lot crisper on a match trigger group? Obviously the Geiselle costs a lot more.

HK Dave
11-29-2011, 4:51 PM
The Geissele has the crisper break and cleaner pull. It's also proven to outlast the RRA NM 2 Stage. Seems the RRA after enough rounds, turns into a single stage.

I've never shot out an RRA so don't know first hand, but its what i've read.

The Geissele is supposed to be solid much longer than the RRA but comes at quite a premium in price. You could get 2 RRAs for the price of a Geissele.

And in all honesty, most people i've met or spoken to never get anywhere near the thousands of rounds it supposedly takes to make an RRA crap out.

triggs75
11-29-2011, 7:58 PM
I really don't know that much about trigger groups but am learning via this thread and other sources.

Can someone clarify the differences between the RRA NM 2 stage and the Geiselle SSA? Is the break just a lot crisper on a match trigger group? Obviously the Geiselle costs a lot more.

I have one of each that you can try. I am most likely headed to United sportsman this Sunday and you can try them if you like.

Swiss
11-30-2011, 9:00 AM
I have one of each that you can try. I am most likely headed to United sportsman this Sunday and you can try them if you like.

Thanks very much for the offer but unfortunately I'm already booked this weekend.

Deadon
11-30-2011, 9:46 AM
That's interesting, those brass bearings they use for the pin holes. Seems like a good idea.

-----------

As for AR15Sales, I've ordered a couple times from them. No problems, quick delivery. I found them while reading arfcom, where there are many recommendations.

Yeah I own three of them. Good triggers for the cash.