PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to CA with OLL

jeffG619
11-28-2011, 12:26 AM
First of all i would like to say hello and thank you to all calgunners for alot of very useful information about OLL's and how not to get in trouble with the law. I am a newbie on Calguns and also a new firearm owner. I currently live in Washington State and moving back to California very soon. During my stay in Washington I recently purchased a CAI WASR 10/63. Now i know its not the greatest of the AK series but it has been absolutely flawless for me and I am very happy with my purchase. I have installed a bulletbutton from goldenstatetactical.com and I also have a 10/30 magazine that i purchased from solartactical.com to make everything CA legal.
My rifle is registered here in washington state and i was wondering if i needed to re-register my weapon in california. I know it isnt considered an AW anymore but i just want to make sure i take care of all the paperwork stuff and make sure everything is in order. I apologize in advanced if this was a silly question but i would appreciate any advice.

jonc
11-28-2011, 12:27 AM
TO KaLI

Cyc Wid It
11-28-2011, 12:30 AM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_Registration

jeffG619
11-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the help!

imarangemaster
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
So if I have pistols that I had before I moved away from California in 2007, and I had them in california before 1998, I do not need to register them, even if they were private party purchases "back in the day" (1980s) when that was legal, I do not have to register them when I move back to California.

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
there is no registration.
it is an AW if it doesnt pass the flow chart.
then you have to fix it to pass the flow chart BEFORE entering CA.

Librarian
11-28-2011, 11:12 AM
So if I have pistols that I had before I moved away from California in 2007, and I had them in california before 1998, I do not need to register them, even if they were private party purchases "back in the day" (1980s) when that was legal, I do not have to register them when I move back to California.

That's a new question, I think.

It's clear that if you had stayed in CA, they would not need to be registered unless they were transferred.

And I think I would argue that, had they been purchased through an FFL and thus registered through DROS, that they would not need to be re-registered after a couple years extended vacation out of state. There's no mechanism for 'I moved, take me and my guns out of your database', so whatever had been registered to you would still be there.

But having owned them legally in CA, before registration of their transfer was required, then having taken them out of state, and now contemplating moving back to CA - that one I don't know.

Logically, and CA gun law hardly ever is logical, the state would know exactly as much on re-entry as it did when you left: nothing. If that had been OK when you were here the first time, a continuation of that status should still be OK.

Legally? I really don't know.

jeffG619
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
My weapon does pass the flowchart as not being an assault weapon and again i apologize for the silly question and i appreciate the input! i see clearly now! :eek:

BAGunner
11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Get all the cool off-stupid-ca-safe-handgun-roster handguns while you still can (for less money at least), and if you don't like any of them, you can sell it here quickly (for a profit too!).