PDA

View Full Version : Creaky buffer spring on my AR

Mr. Incognito
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM
What can I do to remedy this? Every time I pull the charging handle back it sounds terrible, and is quite loud. I put a little lube on the outer rim of the stopper where it contacts the tube, but that didn't help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ERdept
11-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I use HEAVY grease.

YOU"RE NOT supposed to. It compromises reliability, and you get used to the squeek, and screetch in time. It goes CONTRA to everythng that is right in the world.

But I dont' like it.

I do and it works well, a dull thud. It's amazingly quiet. No issues with cycling, ejecting, extracting, feeding and firing fast or slow.

I just use a gloved hand in heavy grease and coat the outside of the spring.

Try it once, then wipe it off if you dont' like it. But listen and feel the differences.

I could actually hear god talking to me, whereas it as too noisy before. ;)

WilliamAnderson
11-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Got a Spikes tactical dry lubed buffer tube and a Spikes st-t2 buffer. :0 much better in the sound department and it looks nice too.

Mr. Incognito
11-28-2011, 5:58 AM
Got a Spikes tactical dry lubed buffer tube and a Spikes st-t2 buffer. :0 much better in the sound department and it looks nice too.

I have a spikes st-t2 buffer as well, the tube I believe came with my Magpul ubr stock. Maybe a new spring would solve this?

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 8:07 AM
couple things.
1) is the stock real or is it a e-bay copy?
2) are you slowing pulling the CH back?

The Charging handle should be pulled and released in UNDER 1 second. After a few hundred rounds the sound softens due to wear.

If the Stock is a clone it might be slightly bent causing a rubbing sound and or the spring is cheap.

Mr. Incognito
11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
couple things.
1) is the stock real or is it a e-bay copy?
2) are you slowing pulling the CH back?

The Charging handle should be pulled and released in UNDER 1 second. After a few hundred rounds the sound softens due to wear.

If the Stock is a clone it might be slightly bent causing a rubbing sound and or the spring is cheap.

Stock is real.

Creaks when pulled both slow and fast.

Haven't really noticed it until yesterday (after cleaning gun from weekend shooting. Put 270 rounds through it)

Have put about 1000 rounds through it in total.

dieselpower
11-28-2011, 12:07 PM
^ sorry can't help you then. My set up is twang and Creaky free. Start with a new spring.

akjunkie
11-28-2011, 1:33 PM
Run an oily patch down the tube. wipe off excess. that worked for me. or spray some clp on the spring itself.

GMG
11-28-2011, 2:16 PM
^ sorry can't help you then. My set up is twang and Creaky free. Start with a new spring.

Are you sure your twang isn't a "sproing"

Army
11-28-2011, 5:23 PM
No lube is good. Leave it alone is even better.

Xring Kid
11-28-2011, 7:20 PM
Mobil One oil. Not to much, not to little. Newer lowers will sound pretty dry so you should do a little of something.
The first lower I got we put a pit of grease. This surprises me now because I never use grease. The thing is, that lower is still my primary rifle for competition and I haven't had to worry about the spring or buffer tube.
What ever you do I'm sure It will work. Buffer tubes and springs are pretty easy.

mrvash
11-28-2011, 8:45 PM

I have the same buffer assembly kit, but what the heck is 'dry lube'?

To the OP: Try lightly oiling the spring?

Mr. Incognito
11-28-2011, 11:35 PM
To the OP: Try lightly oiling the spring?

I put some CLP on the spring and replaced it in the tube this evening... it had no effect. I'll try a bit more CLP tomorrow unless someone has a better suggestion.

I want to say thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm going to ask my local AR guru in the next couple days, see what he thinks, and mention some of your suggestions to him. Thanks guys!

Droppin Deuces
11-28-2011, 11:41 PM
That region of my guns is sopping wet with lube just from being blown back through the receiver and they function smooth and silent. Are your tube and spring dry?

Edit: just read your last response. Nevermind. Just go shoot your gun!

Mr. Incognito
11-29-2011, 10:15 AM
What about a stainless steel spring?

triggs75
11-29-2011, 12:09 PM
This tends to work pretty well also. Pretty cheap at ace hardware or a depot store.

http://images.peakcandle.com/albums/userpics/10003/normal_siliconespray.jpg