PDA

View Full Version : Gold panning & camping areas?

jeffrice6
11-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Looking for an area east of Sac for a few fun filled days of panning/sluicing. Not looking for anyone's secret honey hole, but a nice 4X4 in location to pan/camp/shoot & fish.(But primarily panning) Main reason I ask is because its so damn hard to determin whats a public area & whats been claimed....
Any help much appreciated!

thenodnarb
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM
even public areas can have a gold claim. tread carefully.
That said, you want fast moving water where the water slows down or pools, preferably for the first time. at the bottom of waterfalls is a good place. Obviously you need to be in mountains for this. Likely all the good places are claimed. Doubtful anyone would notice though. I'd keep the sluice box at home. Its a bit harder to hide if someone comes by.

Kid Stanislaus
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
There's a lot of activity on the Merced R. a few miles outside of Yosemite NP.

choprzrul
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
I've got a 160 acre claim 20 minutes outside of Etna, CA. PM me if interested.

MrsFS
11-28-2011, 5:18 PM
My hubby and I were just talking about this same thing! Basically just to get out camping and have fun.

jeffrice6
11-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Absolutly! Anyone have an actual spot they can recommend?

GrizzlyGuy
11-29-2011, 8:56 AM
I've got a 160 acre claim 20 minutes outside of Etna, CA. PM me if interested.

Just for you, a photo of Mt. Etna (7163'):

http://www.grizzlyguy.com/ATVs/2007-Plumas-Expedition/MtEtnaTrail01/179569809_jx4ud-M.jpg

This one isn't by Etna, CA and is actually along PCT in Plumas NF. There is a ventilation shaft going w-a-y down into an old mine about 200 ft from where the photo was taken.

This area is full of mines and would be good for OP except that... every decent-looking panning spot along the streams seems to be claimed: :(

http://www.grizzlyguy.com/ATVs/2007-Plumas-Expedition/MiningClaimAcrossRoadFromMyCam/179569766_XfBPQ-M.jpg

wheels
11-29-2011, 8:57 AM
Tagged - some gold panning is on my todo list. The GPAA has claims for use by members ($69). I'd just like to find somewhere that I could hit from San Diego county in 4 -5 hours - spend a couple of days and maybe get enough gold to pay for some gas.

brandontodd33
11-29-2011, 8:24 PM
I'm in the Sacramento area and have been wondering the same thing. But I have no idea where to start

AEC1
11-29-2011, 9:42 PM
Looking around Fresno myself....

mchava
11-29-2011, 9:49 PM
Tagged - some gold panning is on my todo list. The GPAA has claims for use by members ($69). I'd just like to find somewhere that I could hit from San Diego county in 4 -5 hours - spend a couple of days and maybe get enough gold to pay for some gas. If your in San Diego you can always head up to the san gabriel river's east fork rd. Its open to the public and gold pan. There is plenty of gold to be found there just take a bit of elbow work. I think there is also a public place in Kern County river.

Here is what I found on the 12th up at the East Fork Rd in San Gabriel river for a few hrs of work
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Mchava/Gold%20prospecting/11-12-11.jpg

mindwip
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
How much gold would you say that is? Hard to tell by picture.

mchava
11-30-2011, 2:04 PM
Its about half a gram. You wont become rich off it but its a cool way to spend the weekend. Now if you have time and want to hike and camp out like some of the diehards then you can get a lot more but you need to know were to look for it. Its like the say "Gold is were you find it" and that is the hardest thing to do but sometimes you get lucky. If you want to go look for it look at some youtube vid to know where and how to find it.

wheels
11-30-2011, 4:02 PM
If your in San Diego you can always head up to the san gabriel river's east fork rd. Its open to the public and gold pan. There is plenty of gold to be found there just take a bit of elbow work. I think there is also a public place in Kern County river.

Here is what I found on the 12th up at the East Fork Rd in San Gabriel river for a few hrs of work

Thanks for the tip - I'll swing up that way and give it a try.

tm_jones123
11-30-2011, 6:36 PM
Tag! I'm in the Sacramento area as well and would love to find somewhere in the Sierras to pan & camp.

colddeadhands
12-01-2011, 4:13 AM
I wouldn't pan at any mining claims if I was you. People who have claims on public land cannot prevent you from hunting, fishing camping, dirt biking, or what ever else you want to do on the public lands, but as soon as you stick your pan in their section of creek you are stealing from them. I don't want to be a kill joy, but stay away from posted mining claims, or you could easily be looking down the barrel of a gun.

Good luck, be careful its addicting!

brandontodd33
12-01-2011, 5:23 PM
I'm thinking of a pretty fast moving creek up on the rubicon that goes out of rubicon springs anyone try it there

LuvBug
12-01-2011, 8:33 PM
Live in Sac a would love to hear of some pan/camp areas!!!