View Full Version : Legally Repairing my 30rd M1A Magazines

11-27-2011, 7:47 PM
Prior to the Federal highcap mag ban (in other words, way before 2000), I purchased a bunch of milsurp 20rd M1A mags -- which work flawlessly -- and a bunch of aftermarket 30rd M1A mags -- which never even pretended to lift their tiniest little finger to try to actually feed rounds reliably. Mostly, they'd sit there, point at me, and laugh, mumbling something about "what're you going to do about it, dork?"

Because I'm the sort of guy who doesn't get rid of anything, I still have them -- around 10 or so magazines.

So I'm wondering -- could I legally, above-board, replace the bodies of these mags with 20rd M1A mag bodies (and probably 20rd M1A springs)? Would this be a case of repairing a magazine? Especially if I can reuse the floorplate, the total number of highcap magazines I possess would not change (and, if I wanted, to, I could keep the old magbodies around as proof, not that it'd mean much since they're not datestamped).

11-27-2011, 8:23 PM
Repair away.

11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
44mag.com has the usgi 20 and 25 round mags. keep the floorplates and replace everything else. 44mag will take the mags apart before shipping to ca

11-28-2011, 6:30 AM
Yes, you can buy the parts and repair them. I have about forty mags and have bought new springs.Try to use wolf power springs.

11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I was wondering a simulair question. I want to replace the floor plates and springs on my "pre-ban" ar mags.