PDA

View Full Version : .458 socom mags

p2rider426
11-27-2011, 7:45 PM
So the .458 socom rounds fit in standard AR mags but only holds half the amount since they are so wide they don't double stack if my memory is correct. If a manufacturer was selling 10 round .458 magazines and if they happened to feed with .223 would I legally be allowed to fill them to twenty and use them?

I just recall reading a thread somewhere in the handgun forum about a ten rd .40 mag that people were fitting like 13 9mm in or something similar to that.

Coyote Brown
11-27-2011, 7:54 PM
Featureless rifle only.

p2rider426
11-27-2011, 7:59 PM
But I still wouldn't have to try and prove I owned the magazines before 2000? I could own post ban hi caps legally? Just wondering, not trying to do anything to make anyone mad

tujungatoes
11-27-2011, 8:23 PM
I wasn't aware anyone was selling mags marked .458. Mind telling me where you found those?

p2rider426
11-27-2011, 8:42 PM
I asked "if" a manufacturer sold one. Seems like if someone did it would be a huge hit for CA residents! Maybe even if an out-of-state middleman did a tweak or two and stamped on .458 to a standard 20rd mag then it would be legit kinda like 10/30 mags. I just thought someone would have done it by now since it seems legal

fredr1980
11-27-2011, 8:55 PM
So the .458 socom rounds fit in standard AR mags but only holds half the amount since they are so wide they don't double stack if my memory is correct. If a manufacturer was selling 10 round .458 magazines and if they happened to feed with .223 would I legally be allowed to fill them to twenty and use them?

I just recall reading a thread somewhere in the handgun forum about a ten rd .40 mag that people were fitting like 13 9mm in or something similar to that.

Well .458 socom round does fit 5.56/223 mags but having these mags without actually owning a .458 AR for them might be "playing with fire" if you are looking for a way around hi-capacity mag laws here in CA as you would not be using them for what they were intended for because as soon as you put them in your AR you would have an "assault weapon" as classified by CA. I would imagine anyone using legally owned 10-round .40 mags in their 9MM with 12-13 rounds as you mentioned above would probably be in a heck of a lot of trouble if caught by a LEO. I have a few 7 round 50 Beowulf mags that are nothing more than 20 round 5.56/223 mags but of the 3 AR's that I own none are chambered in 5.56/223 so I don't think I would have an issue as I wouldn't be using them for anything but the Beowulf. That being said I'm still careful with these and ALL of these Beowulf mags have any 5.56/223 markings dremeled off just to be on the safe side and when I go shooting with buddies with an 5.56/223 AR and I take my Beowulf I only take 1 mag so that their is no temptation for them to want to use my spares. YMMV.

Fred R.

tujungatoes
11-27-2011, 9:06 PM
My understanding is that would be kosher if the magazines were marked and sold as .458 socom.

Been thinking about a socom upper for a while now, and found this. Check this out. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78765

*edit* Fred a "standard capacity" magazine does not necessarily mean AW. It's perfectly legal in a featureless rifle.

fredr1980
11-27-2011, 9:29 PM
*edit* Fred a "standard capacity" magazine does not necessarily mean AW. It's perfectly legal in a featureless rifle.

Sorry did not make the distinction that it would only be considered an "AW" in California if used on a AR with a bullet button. I figured based on the OP the intention was to buy the mags and use them as high capacity mags being that OP did not mention haveing a featureless AR rifle...

Fred R.