PDA

View Full Version : went to canyon arms in martinez

kmk
02-27-2007, 3:05 PM
they have the most guns by far in the bay .,.,.,they also have the highest prices by far in the bay.,.,.,used glock 26 for $649,.,.,. they wanted to arfue with me about oll's .,.,.,the young man behind the counter said as soon as you build them they are a felony.,.,.then he handed me a bushmaster carbon15.,.,i threw up a little in my mouth.,.,.i asked if they had any wolf 7.62 ammo.,.,.,they got all upity and said that it corrodes your barrel and then handed me some russian match ammo @ $12.50 a box.,.,.,perfect store for a buyer with a load of cash and previous knowledge of guns! too bad.,.,., they had tons of guns though.,.,

DRM6000
02-27-2007, 3:10 PM
they have the most guns by far in the bay .,.,.,they also have the highest prices by far in the bay.,.,.,used glock 26 for $649,.,.,. they wanted to arfue with me about oll's .,.,.,the young man behind the counter said as soon as you build them they are a felony.,.,.then he handed me a bushmaster carbon15.,.,i threw up a little in my mouth.,.,.i asked if they had any wolf 7.62 ammo.,.,.,they got all upity and said that it corrodes your barrel and then handed me some russian match ammo @ $12.50 a box.,.,.,perfect store for a buyer with a load of cash and previous knowledge of guns! too bad.,.,., they had tons of guns though.,.,

they're willing to deal.

TMC
02-27-2007, 3:13 PM
I no longer go to Canyon Sports, among the thing you ran into, they will not give prices over the phone which is childish. You're right about high prices, and don't even ask to do a transfer from an internet sale, last time I checked it was over $100.

WokMaster1
02-27-2007, 3:16 PM
why do you torture yourself like that. They are who they are.

BTW they have Remington 233 55gr FMJ for $5.99/box (20 rds) a full pallet.

kmk
02-27-2007, 3:20 PM
i got some of that ammo .,.,.,but the 7.62 x 39.,.,.,i had a 24 year old kid trying to school me on what was ok to run through an ak or sks.,.,,.like those guns are picky.,.,.,

WokMaster1
02-27-2007, 3:27 PM
i got some of that ammo .,.,.,but the 7.62 x 39.,.,.,i had a 24 year old kid trying to school me on what was ok to run through an ak or sks.,.,,.like those guns are picky.,.,.,

I must have just missed you. They were talking about you, I think!!!!! Do you happen to have big eyebrows?:D

kmk
02-27-2007, 3:48 PM
no big brows here.,.,. everyone i ever meet at gun store is a character.,.,.,usually its the grumpy owner operator that has his old man posse kickin it with him,.,.,and no matter how much cash is in my pocket.,.,they are put out when they have to open the case.,.,.,with there short answers and their stinky dieing pets.,.,.i have my issues too.,.,.i have yet to find a store that has variety in weapons, competitive prices and people behind the counter that have pleasant attitude like other retail workers and keep their stupid $10 an hour oppinions to themselves.,.,how did i just get soo worked up?

DRM6000
02-27-2007, 4:06 PM
when i was there for the first time (of only two), i dealt with frank (i think that was his name.) he was patient, friendly and eager to work with me. he showed me a bunch of pistols and when i settled on one, he knocked almost $200 off of it. i didn't even make any attempt to haggle or even implied it. i had a good experience there.

i don't know why you guys have/had negative experiences there.

ivanimal
02-27-2007, 4:15 PM
I have been going to Canyon Sports for 5 years now. They always have someone controversial working there. That said they do have a great collection, they have always price matched what I was looking for and have great deals on ammo. Especially shotgun. They will be having a Glock sale coming up that will be great pricing as usual, the last sale they had I was buying 350 dollar scopes for 200 bucks. If you know what you want and know what you want to pay give them a call. The marked prices are high but they expect you to haggle.

They are not in the OLL business and never will be. Dont go there for that, you could ask 10 shops that dont do OLL's for advice and be told 10 differet things. They have a very loyal following and do sell a lot of guns. Ron Kennedy the owner is top knotch, if you ever spent time talking to him he is as knowledgable about guns as anyone I have ever met. The older Ron in the back is a great gunsmith as well, he does work for free if you buy the parts there and it is a smaller job. I never limit myself to one experience, I always go back to where I had a problem and try again. YMMV. just dont expect them to answer questions or speak intelligently about things they know nothing of.

I buy a lot of guns and they get some of my business no one gets it all:cool:

Bolt2Bounce
02-27-2007, 4:15 PM
Yeah canyon lost my business a while back, Ron Kennedy, the owner I know and like, BUT the people he hires are JACK (_*_)'s I don't know why he keeps them around. He looses a lot of money because of it. That guy Zack is a Jackalope, a foul mouthed sailor like dude, I'm not offended by bad language, but it's a retail store with kids and such.:eek: Customer service is not tops there. I once stood at the counter for about 5 min waiting for help. There were three guys (working well on the clock anyway) behind the counter and not one of them asked if I needed anything. They just were talking among themselves oblivious of paying customers. :cool: Amazing stuff. B2B

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-27-2007, 4:28 PM
Actually, I was just over at Canyon yesterday, first time I'd ever been to that store. Nice selection, yeah they do have a lot of rifles, but I'm pretty sure Targetmasters in Milpitas has more handguns. I was looking for OLL stuff, and a white-haired, white-bearded guy politely told me that they don't get into them, which was fine.

boogak
02-27-2007, 4:39 PM
i say businessmen should not tell the consumers what they want, should keep opinions to themself unless asked. dont they want to make money?

thedrickel
02-27-2007, 4:55 PM
They only do PPTs on saturday between 10 and 1. :mad:

wooger
02-27-2007, 5:37 PM
Hey KMK,
I see you are in the east bay, have you have a negative experience with Bob at old west? I've purchased from him for over 18 years and although i would not say he has the cheapest prices you don't have to worry about stinky pets and a-hole opinions. Variety over the last two decades has been pretty good.

kmk
02-27-2007, 5:49 PM
thats in el cerrito right? i've been meening to go in there .,.,.,i drive past it a lot.,.,.,been there once.,.,,didnt seem to have any modern firearms.,.,.,worth a return visit.,.,.cant believe there is only about 5 gun stores in the east bay.,.

wooger
02-27-2007, 5:59 PM
Modern firearms is not their specialty but you never know what you might find there if you look in from time to time.

rkt88edmo
02-27-2007, 6:16 PM
They only do PPTs on saturday between 10 and 1. :mad:

Yeah, that's the one that gets me too. I don't mind paying extra to make it worth an FFLs time, but only doing them for a couple hours on Saturday is just silly and keeps me away.

sargenv
02-27-2007, 6:18 PM
There used to be a whole lot more, but they've all pretty much gone the way of the Dodo. Used to be one called Whitebear on Monument, Led by Lead in San Pablo (which is still there but is now a pawn shop). Anchor pawn off Rumrill used to deal in guns, there was another place in Richmond near the Del Norte Bart station that had an ffl but was not exclusively a gun store (more hunting/fishing), then there was Siegles in Oakland, Traders (which got it's FFL pulled recently), and there was actually a gun store in Berkeley off Telegraph that I remember but can't remember the name to. I'm sure there were others that older shooters know of, but those are the ones I remember. There was one other place, a sporting goods store in Pleasant hill, can't remember the name of it that had high prices, but had a pretty good selection of guns and acessories. Used to be next to that bike store on Contra Costa Blvd. Canyon Sports, Antioch Armory, Old West Gun room and um.. that's about all I know of locally anymore. There is a newer shop up in Vacaville called "Guns, Hunting, and other stuff" off I80 and they have an indoor range. And Jackson arms down in South SF. Oh, and Bullseye out in Marin. There is also a used gun store in of all places Walnut creek, I think they deal in mostly collectables.

Vince

shinigami
02-27-2007, 6:31 PM
I was in canyon sports about 2 weeks ago....was buying some scope mounts...was about to buy a bipod...went to the harris brand... $80+..I said.."okay, how about if I get a rockmount bipod?" went over the rockmount and lo and behold...the same price...:D

Last time I was at Old West Gunroom, all the rifles on the rack was either lever action, or old rifles.....although you can always talk to Bob and have him order what you want, great guy.... I bought my savage 10 and marlin 60 from him.

wooger
02-27-2007, 6:52 PM
Don't forget Buchanans right in the heart of Berkeley. Last time I was at old west his rack included a SOCOM and a mint SAFN in 8mm.

etruscan
02-27-2007, 6:55 PM
ah, canyon sports...those guys are always fun. some people dont like zack but hes alright in my book. just dont be a wuss when you go in there. almost every (firearm) price is negotiable. so if you cant negotiate or are a timid, soft spoken individual, dont go there.

Ratters
02-27-2007, 7:38 PM
I've spent many thousands there but no more. I like the owner Ron, he's a good guy, but he hires asshats and I always here missinformation there. I gave up going there two years ago when for the second time they refused to do a PPT. This was on a Tuesday and they said they only do them on Saturdays. Well, the previous time I was there was on a Saturday, which by coincidence they were having a sale and refused. When I made a stink Ron came out and said that's just their policy. I said that I need a shop that will provide services I need and I can't shop somewhere that doesn't, and I haven't been back in almost two years. Now Martin gets all my PPT business and is happy to do it. That lack of customer service is just incredible. He also lost out on the sale of an O/U that day plus about 5 grand worth of further purchases I made that year. In fact Martin made three sales of in stock guns when I was there doing a PPT. There a plenty of other shops that do want my business besides Canyon.

TMC
02-27-2007, 7:43 PM
The best place used to be Amreican Gun Exchange in Antioch owned by Rick Santos. Always had great prices and a good selection of guns. Before the list he would buy estate sales which gave a good selection of used guns. He had no problem doing internet sales, in fact if it was something you wanted that he didn't have he would rather you buy it direct and have it shipped to him. He would take trades and give a reasonable price, beat everybodies prices on what he stocked by a noticable amount. He would give his honest opinion about guns without talking anything down which was refreshing.

I think that is what's wrong with most shops. It seems most of the counter folks are so opinionated in general that when you ask a question or for an opinion you can get such a negative response its depressing, too much negativity. When I worked retail I never talked down someones choice, I might recommend something else but I never said something like, "why do you want that piece of crap".

kmk
02-27-2007, 9:04 PM
where is buchanans in berkeley?.,.,.,.,.,

50BMGBOB
02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I like Antioch Armory. They are small, if what you want isn't on display they may have it in back. If not, they can order it. There prices are good and they stock OLL and some parts. I hate to think of how much I've spent there over the years. Lord knows I hope my wife never finds out.

wooger
02-28-2007, 5:12 AM
Buchanans is long gone, I was responding to the nostalgia reply. Used to be on College Ave.

joel1316
02-28-2007, 6:03 AM
American Gun Exchange was great! Got a lot of good deals from those guys, I never walked out of there with my wallet still full.

Brings tears to my eyes remembering all the gun stores that we have lost....

Canyon Sports is good if you know what you want, know how much you want it for and ignore any dumb opinions given by the employees...

WokMaster1
02-28-2007, 6:34 AM
Anyone got an address for American Gun Exchange?

What about that tiny gunshop in Pleasant Hill? Anyone got any experience with it?

sargenv
02-28-2007, 6:51 AM
Yep, it was Buchanan's that I was referring to.. I thought it was on Telegraph, seems it was College. I only knew about them due to a friend having some Ruger warranty work out of there. I'd only ever been there the one time.

I've been to Old West now and then over the years and before the net was what it was, I'd had some special orders done through them, they were always happy to help me out.

Antioch Armory was where I used to go before I had someone closer for PPT's. I've purchased a few guns from there and always at a fair price. There was a program by Sig some years back and they had some kind of dealer discount, $100 off per pistol. Antioch passed the savings on to us and I picked up a 229 for like $550. I usually only go to Canyon now for shotgun ammo or if I need something in a pinch as I reload everything else these days.

Vince

joel1316
02-28-2007, 7:14 AM
Anyone got an address for American Gun Exchange?

What about that tiny gunshop in Pleasant Hill? Anyone got any experience with it?

American Gun Exchange went out of business.

The place in Pleasant Hill was called Hogan's. That place had the walls packed to the rafters full of rifles. Then, little by little, they started scaling down....

Diablo Valley Gun Work is a gunsmithing shop, but they also carry a really small inventory. They are in Pleasant Hill right behind Casper's Hot Dogs.

Mael
02-28-2007, 7:58 AM
I've been going to Canyon Sports for about 4 years now. I agree with some of the other posts here. Ron is a nice guy, but some, primarily one, employee is an asshat. The big guy with the goatee and all tattoos all over his arms is always a great source of misinformation. As has been mentioned before, Canyon is always willing to negotiate. Their sales are usually worthwhile.

There is also a used gun store in of all places Walnut creek, I think they deal in mostly collectables.

The name of the place you are thinking of is Contra Costa Collectible Firearms on Cypress St. Iíve seen a few nice 1911 colts there and they get the occasional python.

sargenv
02-28-2007, 8:05 AM
Yeah, that's it. I went in there and they had a 38 super 1911 that I should have bought at the time. Oh well, win some, lose some. Would have made a nice single stack gun.

Vince

jerryb78
02-28-2007, 9:37 AM
i bought one rifle from canyon sport 6 year ago. special order gun. seem pleasent enough. no problem here. good size inventory, but kinda expensive. i'm not into haggle and usually ask for discount but have never got one from them. so i shop else where.
i live 10 min. away from them, but i rather drive 45 min to Antioch Armory or Irvington Arms for business.

went to Antioch Armory 2 week ago, got in a debeat with them, but it was understanding and fair. i will do business with them again. Honest owner who like his job. he told me he will stop doing OLL as he been constantly harrass by Rookie DOJ office. anyway, i walk out of the shop with a new gun and i intent to give them more business

no problem with Irvington Arms. always been pleasent doing business there. no even one hicup. Big Mac is a great guy!

i occasionally go to Old West Gun Room to check his inventory. but he will not do OLL or PPT. usually carry cowboy stuff and some newer hand gun. Bob is honest and a good guy to talk to if he's not bussy. he has no problem with me picking his brain. bougth a few toys from him, but not as often as i should

i been to the Gun Exchange a few time. large selection, but out of my way becaseu of my bussy schdual. no hicup here, good shop to do business with

i also go to Bullseye in San Rafel. price is resonable to high. small selection but i go there for indoor shooting. never bought a gun from them, but they seem pleasent when doing business. they alwasy ask if i needed to see something.

E. Fudd
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah, old Buchannan's was on College Ave, just north of Ashby. Now, it's all yuppified around there...

There was also the old Bill Davis' shop that used to be down on 5th St. in Berserkly. Later moved to Hayward, then sold to an employee, and last heard they were in the Sacto area. Was mainly a cop shop, but occasionally had killer prices on their annual sales to the general public, They did good revolver gunsmithing back then and made the cool 'Smolt' (Python barrel on S&W frame). Back in the olden days of yore... :)

guns_and_labs
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I've always been treated well at Canyon. Ron's great, and I find Zack to be a kick in the pants. Always good for a laugh, or an opinion.

Prices have usually been pretty good, and follow-up service (only needed twice so far) excellent.

No OLL's, and no PPT's (effectively), that just seems to be business they don't want. That's ok with me... there are other places that specialize in that stuff.

DRM6000
02-28-2007, 11:05 AM
i also go to Bullseye in San Rafel. price is resonable to high. small selection but i go there for indoor shooting. never bought a gun from them, but they seem pleasent when doing business. they alwasy ask if i needed to see something.

the gun prices are at retail or just a hair under. you can negotiate though. some of the accessories are priced above msrp iirc.

medic707
02-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I've had simalar experiances. The owner is a real nice guy and goes out of his way to help you out, or at least listen and give some advice. Last yr i went in to grab some ammo for my 6.5x55 swed, asked if they had any ammo and in what gr. One of the employees asked what i was using the rifle for and i told him deer hunting. Then he rambled on and on about how it wasnt a great caliber and i should get a 06 (or something... i really stopped listen to the guy). About 5 min into his lecture to me, Ron came out of the back asked what i was lookin for. I told him and he said, "Oh yeah right here... nice little round for blacktail."

I bought 2 guns from them -- both pretty good deals. One was a Beretta 686 and the other was my Sig 226st.
The Beretta took some serious haggling after one of the employees told me they were almost taking a loss on the gun at their tag price of $300 over msrp (hah), and I got the 226 in one of their "Sig Sales" a few yrs back.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
I left Pittsburg yesterday at 6:00 (running out the door at work) and scremed down 680 in the rain at 80 mph to get to Irvington before they closed at 7. At 5 till I called and got the message machine, that was as I was coming up to the exit. Boy was that 2 hours down the drain.

kmk
02-28-2007, 6:08 PM
you're bummed.,.,.,

trago
02-28-2007, 7:38 PM
Moved away from the Bay Area 20 years ago (up to Northern California) and discovered recently that all my old haunts (Siegle's in Oakland, White Bear/Diablo Gun Exchange in Concord, and Hogan's in Pleasant Hill) were gone. Sort of gave up hope of perusing any real gun shops in the East Bay until I accidently discovered Canyon Arms in Martinez. Yeah, they collectively have enough attitude for 1 1/2 or 2 stores but they have the iron in the cases and on the walls. Prices are what I expected for a successful store in the Bay Area with lots of inventory and knowledgable counter personnel. They also had a Smith & Wesson Performance Center 629 new that was out of production a couple of years ago. They told me they purchased a dozen of them previously and sold one every once and a while. Well, that was my once and a while! I got the 629 I've wanted for the last two years and they knocked off $150.00 on the tagged price. I'm a happy guy! They are not my idea of an old time gun shop (lots of surplus ammo, old cardboard boxes of shooting related stuff to look through) but they are apparently in business to stay and that's a good thing. There's also a nice smaller shop in Antioch downtown (in the old part of town) that has more of
an old time gunshop feel if you want to just b.s. and talk guns with the owner. They actually had some new Colts in their case. However, they don't have the inventory found at Canyon. Just my two cents.