PDA

View Full Version : inital impressions of Cabelas tent

damon1272
11-27-2011, 7:31 PM
Unpacked my new tent from Cabelas. It is the 8 person tent. I bought it for car camping as the tent is 31 lbs. I added an interior floor protector and today made a floor protector out of a tarp for underneath. The floor protector for the underside is due to the areas I plan on camping have alot of rocks and I would like this tent to last.
Other than being large and heavy i really like this tent. It did not take too long to set it up today. It has two doors and a large window, internal cup holders and storage areas on the walls plus a top vent. It was windy today so I felt like it had decent ventilation for a 4 season tent.
The tub wall comes up about 6-8 inches on the side. Overall I look forward to spending time in this tent. One thing to note. I was able to get everything back into the original packaging without too much hassle (something that rarely ever happens these days). Poles for this tent were very sturdy and came with spare parts and shock cord. Nice touch. Overall initial impression is that this tent is well thought out and worth the money.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents/Dome-Backpacking-Tents|/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/Cabelas-Alaskan-Guide174-Geodesic-Tent/714588.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcampi ng-tents-dome-backpacking-tents%2F_%2FN-1100670%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104303880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 94380%253Bcat104779080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104779080%3Bcat104 303880#tabsCollection

OnTheTrail
11-28-2011, 9:10 AM
Are you able to stand inside of it?

I've been looking at the Alanak (?) if I ever return to Burning Man.

HoMa506
11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Have you seen the new Coleman family tent in sizes for 4, 6 or 8 people that pop up and take down in 1 minute? There videos on You Tube showing "normal" people putting them up and taking them down in almost the times they claim.

Click on any of the tents on the top row:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=11020

bsg
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
thanks for the preview; would be nice to have an update after you've taken it out and used it.

thenodnarb
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Looks plenty rugged. No doubt its a good tent. It certainly is no backpacking tent though. With tents, what you are mostly paying for is weight(or lightness more accurately) and compactness when stuffed. 32lbs is a monster, but is just fine when you have motorized transport to your camp site. I bet it holds up to the snow just fine as well.
I have a tent similar to the coleman tent. I can set it up alone in under a minute and I can stand up inside it. High winds make it miserable though. Even staked down well, the fly whips against the tent body and you can't get any sleep for the noise.
I haven't tested my backpacking tents in the wind, but I imagine they would fair better.

problemchild
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
A few do's and donts with any tent.

Do watch it in the snow and see how it handles/sheds heavy wet snow.
Do watch it in the wind and see how it handles heavy wind.

Dont pitch a tent under a tree as falling snow, ice and tree limbs can kill or damage you and the tent.

Dont have a tarp floor under that extends past the tent floor as it will act as a pool for water.

HoMa506
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't own anything with a Coleman name on it that I've found is "junk" or cheap.They rated it a 3 season tent and note the lack of a fly. Even without the fly test showed it held up against the rain. If you Google "Coleman Instant Tent" there are lots of reviews.

TheChief
11-28-2011, 1:07 PM
I agree with HoMa that Coleman quality has left the building awhile ago. I remeber camping with my Grandfather and just about everythgin was Coleman and built like a tank. Now, it's all cr@p.

HoMa506
11-28-2011, 2:25 PM
Not that I disagree with TheChief and not being a cheapskate but I still have Coleman lanterns, stoves and coolers that I've had since the 70's. Of course I keep them cleaned and maintained after use... like my guns and they haven't failed me. Sorry to hear that "it's all cr@p" now.

ksibew
11-28-2011, 3:02 PM
Are you able to stand inside of it?

I've been looking at the Alanak (?) if I ever return to Burning Man.

I have this very tent and very happy with it. I have used it in wind and downpours without any issues.

echo1
11-28-2011, 5:03 PM
I don't own anything with a Coleman name on it that I've found is "junk" or cheap.They rated it a 3 season tent and note the lack of a fly. Even without the fly test showed it held up against the rain. If you Google "Coleman Instant Tent" there are lots of reviews.
You have to know "gear" and what to look for in it. I like others, have Coleman stoves, lanterns, and tents that have lasted decades. These Coleman Cobra tents have been some of the best backpacking (for the price, $60) I've ever used. The OP's got the right idea for car camping with his rig PAX
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac159/adpax/blueholehellhole05109.jpg

damon1272
11-28-2011, 5:38 PM
As for the height in the center there is plenty of room. I am 6'2 and I had more than enough room above my head. In reading the reviews of this tent is that one can assemble the fly first then raise the tent beneath it if you are doing it the rain. As PC mentioned about the tarp I cut the tarp slightly wider than the tent and then placed grommets so that the tent stakes also stakes tie down the tarp underneath. Knowing that tents are severely undersized, I wanted something that would sleep 4 with no problem. This tent fills the bill. One other thing that I read in reviews of this tent is that it stands up well in the high winds. Camping out in the desert I have had tents destroyed due to sudden storms and high winds. Will see how it holds up over time.

TheChief
11-28-2011, 6:05 PM
I agree with HoMa that Coleman quality has left the building awhile ago. I remeber camping with my Grandfather and just about everythgin was Coleman and built like a tank. Now, it's all cr@p.

Sorry folks, bad day...

I own three Coleman stoves and two lanterns. I use them car camping all the time and take care of them because I know they will outlast me. Unfortunately the quality seems to stop there.

I recently went through a number of their coolers and they really pissed me off with the shoddy quality. The handles would break off the sides with little more than 20lbs of food and ice in a 50+Qt cooler. The hinge broke on one of them the first time I closed the lid and this is apparently happening with many others. I called and got jerked around. I ended up having to file a claim with Amex to get my money back.

I remember the old steel belted cooler with the locking lid from my days as a kid camping with my Grandfather. I was planning on forking over the $150 for one of those until I read people were complaining the handles would rip right of the sides.:confused:

I have owned more than a few of their tents and just noticed the low quality zippers, the pulled seems that you could see daylight through, tent poles punching through the fabric, etc. Keep in mind this is over the course of 30+ years of camping so...I am done with Coleman products and will miss them greatly (other than the staple dual burner stove and lanterns of course).

hntnnut
11-28-2011, 6:41 PM
I have had the Alkanak for 6 years an have been very happy with it and its construction. If your tent is constructed any thing like mine you won't be disapointed.

Richard
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p93/hntnnut/011.jpg

echo1
11-28-2011, 9:04 PM
I have had the Alkanak for 6 years an have been very happy with it and its construction. If your tent is constructed any thing like mine you won't be disapointed.Richard
That's a great base camp set up and very nice buck. Care to mention which zone and approximate location? PAX

hntnnut
11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not like some, that was this year up in X9a up around parker creek.

Richard

bsg
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
good thread here.

OnTheTrail
11-29-2011, 9:26 AM
I have had the Alkanak for 6 years an have been very happy with it and its construction. If your tent is constructed any thing like mine you won't be disapointed.

Richard

Sweet set up. This is what I'll be getting for weeklong camping trips.

echo1
11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks, again nice. PAX