PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries MCTAR-21 Mid Length Question

Yeemix
02-27-2007, 2:17 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know if the Midwest Industries Mid Length Free Float will work with a carbine gas system? I wanted to double check before making the purchase. It's model MCTAR-21.

Cpl_Peters
02-27-2007, 2:21 PM
I have one on mine. it WILL work for a car lenth gas set up provided to have a gas block that is small enough to fit under the rails. The micro gas block from CMMG is what my budy has and it works on his. I dont have to worry about it though because I have mid sights as well.

Yeemix
02-27-2007, 2:25 PM
Would you happen to know if the Stag 3H upper's gas block will fit? Also, you mentioned Mid Sights, what is that exactly? I'm going to slap an old tactical handle on as the rear sight, and get a folding front troy or samson for the front rail.

proraptor
02-27-2007, 2:55 PM
I have a CMMG micro gas block on my 12 inch midwest industries rail and it clears just fine

shark92651
02-27-2007, 6:41 PM
Would you happen to know if the Stag 3H upper's gas block will fit? Also, you mentioned Mid Sights, what is that exactly? I'm going to slap an old tactical handle on as the rear sight, and get a folding front troy or samson for the front rail.

Those railed gas blocks with sling attachments will not fit inside the forearm. If you have access to a bench grinder you can remove the sling, grind the rails off, and grind a bit off the bottom to make it fit. If you are not inclined to do this sort of work yourself then your best bet is to go buy a low-profile gas block. MI sells them as do Yankee Hill and other places. I recently did this work on my upper, although I had to find a .938 bull barrel low profile block and those are a bit harder to find.

Yeemix
02-27-2007, 6:54 PM
Those railed gas blocks with sling attachments will not fit inside the forearm. If you have access to a bench grinder you can remove the sling, grind the rails off, and grind a bit off the bottom to make it fit. If you are not inclined to do this sort of work yourself then your best bet is to go buy a low-profile gas block. MI sells them as do Yankee Hill and other places. I recently did this work on my upper, although I had to find a .938 bull barrel low profile block and those are a bit harder to find.

Do you think a Dremel can tackle this sort of project?

shark92651
02-27-2007, 7:10 PM
Do you think a Dremel can tackle this sort of project?

I really don't think a Dremel is up to it, but I may be wrong. I would have at least 8 or 10 cutting disks ready cause I think it is going to tear them up. I considered it myself but decided that I would just go ahead and buy the gas block and save myself the work and grief.

PIRATE14
02-27-2007, 8:11 PM

Easy cowboy......with that dremel.....

Just get a VLTOR or similar gas block.....it's easy to swap w/ a 3H upper...

Than toss on a 9" rail......TROY or SAMSON rail would work here.....

Than you can use TROY or similar front and rear flip up sights.....

I've done a couple of these set-ups for guys.....easy:D

As usual if you get the parts from us the labor/install is free......

OR.....you could use a YHM flip up font w/ a 7" rail.....

OR.....you could put back your gas block if you used a shorter rail and use the samson flip up front on your gas block.....

OR.....well there are lots of posssibilties w/ a 3H upper.....:D

Yeemix
02-27-2007, 8:39 PM
I really don't think a Dremel is up to it, but I may be wrong. I would have at least 8 or 10 cutting disks ready cause I think it is going to tear them up. I considered it myself but decided that I would just go ahead and buy the gas block and save myself the work and grief.

Yeah, a gas block is what I'm leaning towards right now, I just love to Dremel stuff for some reason...

Yeemix
02-28-2007, 8:32 AM
By the way, thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

proraptor
02-28-2007, 8:37 AM
You could easily use a dremel to shorten your existing gas block. There is a write up about it on ar15.com. Just make sure you use reinforced cut off disks...Im too lazy to do something like that though so I ordered a micro from CMMG.

Midwest industries also makes awesome flip up sights too...I have them and love them