PDA

View Full Version : Potential new magazine for CA OLL market!

shark92651
02-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I just got off the phone with the owner of Cammenga, makers of the EASYMAG product. He is seriously considering creating a 10 round magazine for the Calif, Mass, and NY markets. He says the tooling cost to create a 10 round version using a block in their existing 30 round magazine body would be much cheaper than re-tooling for a new 10 round body, although he is considering both options. He also told me that he believes he can create some sort of folding or collapsible block or follower which would allow the magazine to be loaded from the front without requiring removal of the magazine. Even top-loading would be much easier with this magazine as the rounds could just drop right in. He was wondering what the potential market of this magazine may be to help him decide if it is worth the tooling costs. I will email him this thread so that he can read your replies.

Please respond to this thread if you would like to let him know you are interested in this product idea.

Video: http://cammenga.com/cammenga-products.php?category=5#

http://cammenga.com/image_assets/EASYMAG_2.jpg

AJAX22
02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
If they don't require removal from the rifle to load I'd buy one in a flash,

I'd also be interested in a service to 'convert' some of my existing 30 round mags to the front loading style, (well technically it would be an exchange/replacement)

JPglee1
02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
His market would probably be pretty big! It looks cool to me, might be awkward to actually use. I want somone to try one locked in the gun, looks like it would have the same problem the Atlantic guns have...

If you lock it in the gun, the top 3" of magazine is still inside the magazine well. If you go to load it, you'd have to accomodate this distance in order to get the rounds in, To make it hold 10rds from the front with out having to shake rounds up into the magwell-part, you'd end up having a magazine that would be able to be TOP loaded from a split receiver with about 12 rounds, or maybe 14...

I hope you get what I mean, its hard to explain...

I think it's a cool product and would make it fast to reload especially for older/weaker shooters but it might not work as everyone thinks in a fixed mag OLL application. To make it work you'd have to hold the gun upside down and stack the rounds in from top to bottom and then it would only expose about 6 rounds below the open door, preventing more than 10 being installed from the TOP...

If that doesn't bother you then I see no reason not to buy it. It looks very clean and well made.

J

tenpercentfirearms
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
He might sell some. How many? I am not sure. Breaking open the rifle with an extended take down pin or removing the magazine with a bullet button doesn't seem overly complicated and doesn't require unique and expensive magazines, just the same magazines I can use in my gripless builds (well as long as they are ten rounds or less).

I would tell him that cost is everything. You would still need a fixed magazine kit so if they are much more than $30, it might be tough selling them.

iridesportbikes
02-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I'd be interested in a few if the price is right

gn3hz3ku1*
02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
depending on price ( i know he has to make money too) ill get one

mxpatriot51
02-27-2007, 1:01 PM
My question is whether or not it would be legal. If we could get ten rounders, it would be a great improvement to top loading.

shinigami
02-27-2007, 1:03 PM
Hell yeah!!! I'll buy 2 right away!!!:D

JPglee1
02-27-2007, 1:04 PM
My question is whether or not it would be legal. If we could get ten rounders, it would be a great improvement to top loading.

Should be as long as you can't top load more than 10 thru it.

J

Sydwaiz
02-27-2007, 1:10 PM
Do they use the standard 20-30rnd baseplate? I've got some mags with dented bodies and bad lips that need fixing. 10rnd mags though? Nah, not interested. Novel at best but my wife would love it on the higher cap stuff! Can the front portion of the mag slide down while in the gun? What if you like to hold the mag while you shoot and end up pulling it down?

permanent_45
02-27-2007, 1:14 PM
I am in for one. I love new gadgets!

legalweasel
02-27-2007, 1:14 PM
I would buy at least two. I like the idea.
Jon

thmpr
02-27-2007, 1:16 PM
Plus with the bullet button, it would not be necessary. Unless breaking open the rifle is the way you want to load. This kit are good for the people who do not want to use the button release due to paranoia.

DedEye
02-27-2007, 1:18 PM
I'd probably buy one depending on price and quality.

bwiese
02-27-2007, 1:18 PM
Don't get him too excited until he gets into the details... the mag should not ever be recoverable to a more-than-10rd status.

While there are no elements of permanence of attachement associated with CA AW laws, Calif PC does mention that hicap mags must be *permanently* reduced to 10rd capacity:

"Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

While there are no standards of permanence, a rational person would use one of these only if a mag would be destroyed if an attempt to raise its capacity beyond 10rds were made.

This is why I posted before about "looks like hicap mags" and why I still have issues with (from what I've heard about) CProducts 10-in-a-30-tube mags. So far the only folks I know are really conscious of this are Calgunners JPGlee1 & rssslvr .

The danger is not just in the mag being over 10rds, it's that if it's fixed into a rifle it could be regarded as transitioning it into an AW since it is not a legit 10rd magazine by 12276.1(d)(2) PC.

thefinger
02-27-2007, 3:18 PM
Wait, don't we have the bullet-button now? :cool:

JPN6336
02-27-2007, 3:24 PM
I like the idea and I'd be interested in 1 or more depending on price.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-27-2007, 3:34 PM
I contacted them in January. Here is the response I got from them.

I'd like a few to try out as replacements for my standard cap mags, but it doesn't look like he is willing to ship to CA. It's frustrating when people don't understand CA law....it's SO clear :rolleyes:

Hello Robert,

Thank you for your interest in the CAMMENGA EASYMAG. We are planning on offering a lower capacity mag for sale in California in the near future. We cannot ship the 30 round EASYMAG to California assembled or unassembled. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Matt Cammenga
CAMMENGA CORP
100 Aniline Avenue, Suite 258
Holland, MI 49424
616-392-7999 X 204
matt@cammenga.com
www.cammenga.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:26 PM
To: info@cammenga.com
Subject: Easy load AR mags info

Hi~

I am inquiring about your easy load mags. I am looking for prices and info regarding the availability of the magazines. Do they come in any other round count besides 30? 20 rds, 10 rds?

I live in California and am looking to replace some of my currently owned 30 round magazines. Will you ship these to California unassembled? California law does allow replacement/ repair of currently owned standard capacity magazines.

Thank you,

Robert

FlexPlasmaRifle
02-27-2007, 3:37 PM
I've seen these, they are real nice quality

thisismyboomstick
02-27-2007, 3:47 PM
I don't think a 10rnd Cammenga would be workable for a fixed mag rifle unless it was single stack. The FAB-10 holds 10 rounds without any protrusion below a standard AR lower forging.

If there's no protrusion below the receiver you can't load it.

If there is protrusion below the receiver it will hold more than 10 rounds. (double-stack)

shark92651
02-27-2007, 3:48 PM
Don't get him too excited until he gets into the details... the mag should not ever be recoverable to a more-than-10rd status.

While there are no elements of permanence of attachement associated with CA AW laws, Calif PC does mention that hicap mags must be *permanently* reduced to 10rd capacity:

While there are no standards of permanence, a rational person would use one of these only if a mag would be destroyed if an attempt to raise its capacity beyond 10rds were made.

This is why I posted before about "looks like hicap mags" and why I still have issues with (from what I've heard about) CProducts 10-in-a-30-tube mags. So far the only folks I know are really conscious of this are Calgunners JPGlee1 & rssslvr .

The danger is not just in the mag being over 10rds, it's that if it's fixed into a rifle it could be regarded as transitioning it into an AW since it is not a legit 10rd magazine by 12276.1(d)(2) PC.

Good advice Bill. I forwarded the link to this thread to him so hopefully he will join and can ask questions here himself to get all the information he needs to make this decision.