View Full Version : Mini14 featureless ?

kris smith
11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Is a factory 2010 mini 14 considered featureless i hear if a weapon is featureless I can use my pre ban high caps ? Is this true ?

Mossy Man
11-27-2011, 11:13 AM
yes, it is featureless in its factory configuration.

use all the pre-ban mags you want

i hope they are factory mags, or else you'll have feed issues more than likely.

Since a mini 14 is not a named AW, or have a fixed mag, this is what you need to judge it (and accessories/modifications) by:

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

11-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Mossy man is correct.

If your pre-ban mags are defective then you can order some real Ruger rebuild mag kits and repair them..

11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
i say just build your self a ar15 with a2 stock and add a pistol grip cover. you'll have a featureless ar15.

kris smith
11-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I built an Ar but I love my mini. A lot my mags are not ruger mags but they function flawlessly with it it also eats all ammo. Just like my 1022.

23 Blast
11-27-2011, 1:51 PM
Here's a +1 for the mighty Ruger Mini 14. I recently went to Burro Canyon and took out my Mini 14 (580 series) and a 16" AR I bought off another Calgunner. It was the AR's first time out, so perhaps I'm just not used to it yet, but accuracy-wise, they're a wash. I was easily popping clays on the 100m line with my scoped Mini, while I had to work hard with the AR. As far as feel and ergos, I really like the Mini. Granted, I've upgraded mine with a scope, a Hogue stock, and a Choate handguard, but it's the same barrel and action and I love how it feels and shoots. Plus I can use my pre-ban high caps.

About the only place my AR beats out my Mini is in the "looks really cool!" department.

Perhaps that's not fair. I am planning to get a good scope for the AR, I'm sure once I do that then I can realize it's potential, but I think today's Mini 14's are every bit as accurate/precise as your average priced AR carbine.

11-27-2011, 1:59 PM
i say just build your self a ar15 with a2 stock and add a pistol grip cover. you'll have a featureless ar15.

Maybe he only has pre ban mini 14 magazines.

11-27-2011, 9:54 PM
Sounds like you're good to go.
Make sure that anything on the end of your muzzle is a muzzle brake and not a flash-hider.
Have fun!

11-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Love my Mini. Can't wait to try out the Tech Sight rear sight and see how the Accu-Strut works to improve groups (it's a 581 series). Plus the sling I got from ZFields/Sandstorm Strapworks looks d@mn good too on it.

11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Love the 581!!!

11-28-2011, 8:07 AM
My mini was one of my first rifles I owned. I have heard accuracy issues with these guns but I must have gotten lucky with mine cause its fine with irons. I have a bunch of pre ban mags for mine and as another poster said its a hit or miss with those things.

11-28-2011, 9:12 AM
I have a stainless recent production MINI-14. VERY HAPPY! Works everytime, Accurate enough out to 200 yards with sights.
Can use any magazines I want.

Bought Benelli MR1. A little more accurate, but not by much.
Takes AR mags and I dont have to worry about any BB's or magazine capacity with either rifle.