PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question regarding 10/20 mags

nuskfc
11-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi guys, I have spent a day reading the debates of epoxy or rivet on 10/20 or 10/30 mags and I believe both sides have great points. To be on the safe side, I am planning to do the epoxy or rivet on the rebuild kits and 10 rd limiters. Then I ran into a question that doesn't seem to be discussed before. That is, if I need the epoxy or rivet to comply with the permanency, then the moment right before I put epoxy or rivet on the just completed 10/20 mags, have I already violated the "permanency" of the law? I mean if the case really goes to court and even the epoxy or rivet satisfied the permanency requirement, the DA still can argue that there exists a moment in history that the just completed 10/20 mags with no epoxy (or at least the epoxy has not cured) or rivet have already violated the law unless you bought the modified mags from someone else and not DIY. Given the epoxyed or riveted 10/20 mags as evidence, I think it's tough to fight against that argument. What do you guys think? I hope I made my point clear.

vta
11-27-2011, 12:33 AM
That's why I do all my epoxying of mag limiters in Arizona.

vta
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
In all seriousness, if you are really concerned, choose a method that allows you to convert the parts permenantly in a disassembled form. Like epoxying the mag block to the spring or riveting it to the floor plate or mag body before assembling it.

Ubermcoupe
11-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Buy them already riveted? :shrug:

nuskfc
11-27-2011, 1:01 AM
But can I assemble mags if the limiter is already epoxyed or riveted to the floor plate or mag body? Not possible, right?

In all seriousness, if you are really concerned, choose a method that allows you to convert the parts permenantly in a disassembled form. Like epoxying the mag block to the spring or riveting it to the floor plate or mag body before assembling it.

nuskfc
11-27-2011, 1:02 AM
Yup! buying the already modified or DIY out state are two solutions.

Buy them already riveted? :shrug:

Scratch705
11-27-2011, 1:05 AM
if you are that worried that a DA will argue that for the 2 minutes during the magazine conversion process you were in violation of the law, you should stick to buying pre-made 10/20 magazines or just stick to buying 10 rounders.

but if you have ever gone over the speed limit on the road, then you are already willing to the break the law as long as you know reasonably that you won't get caught.

vta
11-27-2011, 1:38 AM
But can I assemble mags if the limiter is already epoxyed or riveted to the floor plate or mag body? Not possible, right?

Sure you can. There are many ways to build a 10/20 mag without first assembling a full capacity mag. You can even buy factory made magpul 10/20 floor plates or aftermarket 10/30 floor plates.

http://www.44mag.com/product/10_round_limiter/42

Get this and 3 20 round pmag kits from them and call it a day.

nuskfc
11-27-2011, 1:46 AM
Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. I am planning using this 10 round limiter, but according to others, you suppose to epoxy it to the floor plate. I guess the floor plate is the one (not the limiter) with a hole that assembles to the mag as the last piece.

Sure you can. There are many ways to build a 10/20 mag without first assembling a full capacity mag. You can even buy factory made magpul 10/20 floor plates or aftermarket 10/30 floor plates.

http://www.44mag.com/product/10_round_limiter/42

vta
11-27-2011, 1:54 AM
Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. I am planning using this 10 round limiter, but according to others, you suppose to epoxy it to the floor plate. I guess the floor plate is the one (not the limiter) with a hole that assembles to the mag as the last piece.

Epoxying the floor plate is recommended but not required. As long as the original part that can convert this back to a 20 rounder is not in your possession, the magazine can not be made to hold more than 10 rounds.

Just so you know, it is NOT illegal to own full capacity mags. Lots of people own 20, 30, 100 round mags right here in CA legally from before 2000. It is only illegal to manufacture, import and sell them.

SJgunguy24
11-27-2011, 2:48 AM
Epoxy on the base plate is useless, I can hit that mag on a table and pop the baseplate off any plastic mag. That's why I rivet everything. There is evidence that work was performed to comply with state law and it will take more then a drop on the ground to get the plate off.
As to the OP's worries, don't. If your in the middle of blocking your mag when the black helicopters are coming, you have more to worry about then the mags.

dieselpower
11-27-2011, 9:23 AM
what tangled webs we weave when we try to read stupid stuff into a law...

godwearsblack
11-27-2011, 9:32 AM
your ok you can own high cap mags you just cant have them loaded and in your gun if you plan on making them into 10rds and sealing them up so they cant be used as a 25rd or 30rd again you will be fine they sell parts kits to people here in cal who had the high cap mags before 2000 and still want to be able to use them thats why they make the conversion kits for people who live in communist cali