PDA

View Full Version : Rifle school...?

Danz la Nuit
11-26-2011, 9:47 PM
Even after the very basic training I had in the USAF & the decent amount of time I have spent shooting various firearms I don't feel like I have the technical/hands on knowledge necessary to feel as comfortable as I would like to when it comes to my upcoming rifle purchase... (likely an AK in Jan.)

I am 100% comfy at the range in terms of shooting, safety & such, I just wish I could take a semester length "auto shop" class for rifles that would cover 100% of the mechanical functionality, I guess I really like to own things that I know everything about... Maybe that's why I build my own computers?

ANYWAY

Where can I go to gain this knowledge? I am in San Diego...

vta
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM
You sounds like a mechanically inclined person. I think it will take you no time to figure out exactly how an ak works once you get it. To be safe while you are learning it's inner workings, keep ammo away while you are figuring things out. Also, one of the best tools for learning about guns these days is right at your house: YouTube.

Donk310
11-27-2011, 5:21 AM
Does the Air Force not teach you this stuff. Being a ex-Marine, most firearms feel like an extension of my hand (after I dry fire at home a few times). I've met a lot of ex Air Force people that seem to be real uncomfortable around AR's. Does the Air Force not use AR's? BTW… I know you are talking about an AK.

rm805
11-27-2011, 6:21 AM
There is a lot of knowledge that can be had here just by posting a question or lurking around doing reading. Like Vta said you tube is also a great tool, I learned how to disassemble most of my guns for cleaning by watching videos on there. If you are at all mechanical, which you sound like you are, you will have no problem taking your future AK apart and getting it back together, they are very simple.

REPR
11-27-2011, 7:13 AM
Youtube or if around san diego go to DAS. They have very friendly staff, sure they wouldn't mind letting you fondle a few ak patterns and helping you with your first purchase.

http://www.directactionsolutions.net/

Tom Slick
11-27-2011, 7:27 AM
In 10 years with the USAF I fired 120 rounds in 3 requals. Why? My job was to fix airplanes and the closest the average mechanic is going to get to combat is 1000 miles at a secure base in a friendly country. If a non-combat troop is going into a hostile area they get more training when they need it.

slo5oh
11-27-2011, 8:59 AM
Danz,
Props to you for wanting to take a class! I'm not sure what all is available in your area, but if you call your local gun ranges they may (should!) offer "basic shooter" classes. Google gave me this:
http://www.gotammo.com/
You can also check with CRPA to see if ... found this:
http://blog.crpa.org/?page_id=165

This one looked cool too:
http://martialfirearmstraining.com/

MrPlink
11-27-2011, 1:34 PM
I had a buddy who was deck crew, never fired a live round once, even during basic.

straykiller
11-27-2011, 1:46 PM
Even after the very basic training I had in the USAF & the decent amount of time I have spent shooting various firearms I don't feel like I have the technical/hands on knowledge necessary to feel as comfortable as I would like to when it comes to my upcoming rifle purchase... (likely an AK in Jan.)

I am 100% comfy at the range in terms of shooting, safety & such, I just wish I could take a semester length "auto shop" class for rifles that would cover 100% of the mechanical functionality, I guess I really like to own things that I know everything about... Maybe that's why I build my own computers?

ANYWAY

Where can I go to gain this knowledge? I am in San Diego...

dont buy one just pick up a parts kit and head over to the gun smithing section to find a build party near you. by building your rifle you will know everything about it, how it functions and even its dirty secrets lol. i will warn you though building ak's is a beast of its own, BRD is nothing compared to it. A few seconds after your finished building it you will be online looking for other kits to buy.

Javi
11-27-2011, 1:54 PM
dont buy one just pick up a parts kit and head over to the gun smithing section to find a build party near you. by building your rifle you will know everything about it, how it functions and even its dirty secrets lol. i will warn you though building ak's is a beast of its own, BRD is nothing compared to it. A few seconds after your finished building it you will be online looking for other kits to buy.

Yeah, that'd be an excellent 'class' on AK's and you'd be very knowledgeable of that platform. Building an AR yourself would teach one a lot too.

Uriah02
11-27-2011, 2:03 PM
I've never heard of a semester length class that was not through the military. Being that most hands on live fire courses I've seen cost about $200 a day plus ammo, I'd look into less formal settings. Attend a build party to get familiar with the insides. There's tons of How To's on youtube. I'd recommend the Magpul Dynamics DVDs, they have a good run through and a number of drills to practice. All this you can do on your own. The best thing would be to hang out with a veteran shooter.

zfields
11-27-2011, 2:08 PM
I've never heard of a semester length class that was not through the military. Being that most hands on live fire courses I've seen cost about $200 a day plus ammo, I'd look into less formal settings. Attend a build party to get familiar with the insides. There's tons of How To's on youtube. I'd recommend the Magpul Dynamics DVDs, they have a good run through and a number of drills to practice. All this you can do on your own. The best thing would be to hang out with a veteran shooter.

Suarez puts out a dedicated AK series that is pretty good, and not as....well....magpul.

HBchevelle68
11-27-2011, 2:11 PM
Does the Air Force not teach you this stuff. Being a ex-Marine, most firearms feel like an extension of my hand (after I dry fire at home a few times). I've met a lot of ex Air Force people that seem to be real uncomfortable around AR's. Does the Air Force not use AR's? BTW… I know you are talking about an AK.

They use AR's but the Air Force doesn't offer extensive training into firearms for 99% of the force. (of course certain and select jobs do)

Whereas the Marine Corps job is to fight. So it makes more sense to dedicate the time, money, and effort into such extensive training. Marine's lives are dependant on it whereas an airman's is not (99%) of the time.

I am currently in Air Force ROTC and i can tell you by experiance i have learned more from civilian firearms training then what the AF taught me at Field Training :oji:

Uriah02
11-27-2011, 2:38 PM
They use AR's but the Air Force doesn't offer extensive training into firearms for 99% of the force. (of course certain and select jobs do)

Whereas the Marine Corps job is to fight. So it makes more sense to dedicate the time, money, and effort into such extensive training. Marine's lives are dependant on it whereas an airman's is not (99%) of the time.

I am currently in Air Force ROTC and i can tell you by experiance i have learned more from civilian firearms training then what the AF taught me at Field Training :oji:

Airman's Creed claims all to be a warrior... just sayin'. Even goes so far to say their mission is to "Fly, Fight, and Win". I've been deployed with the AF for over a year... I know. In their defense the most grievous weapon safety violation I've been aware of on base was by a soldier.