PDA

View Full Version : Ak guys I need some help.

CK_32
11-26-2011, 9:54 PM
So my cousin bought 2 AK flat plate things (I'm not an AK guy lol) like for the lower receive I think.

Today he asked me what some good sorta cheap but quality ak parts kits are.. I have no idea so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I hit google and typed good ak parts kits and all I found was good places to buy them not actual parts kits specifically.

We were googling and found some with no barrels and some with. He wants to build one Russian and one yugo. Can you guys help us out?

So what are some good brands of parts kits you guys go for or can reccomend for him..?

Fern
11-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I'll go with a Romy-G with original barrel from whatacountry for the win Alex.:D For a first build I would do this. Just get the chrome lined barrels if possible.

CptDan
11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I'll go with a Romy-G with original barrel from whatacountry for the win Alex.:D For a first build I would do this. Just get the Chrome lined barrels from apex if he goes the other route.

What He said !!!!!!

zfields
11-26-2011, 10:16 PM
So my cousin bought 2 AK flat plate things (I'm not an AK guy lol) like for the lower receive I think.

Today he asked me what some good sorta cheap but quality ak parts kits are.. I have no idea so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I hit google and typed good ak parts kits and all I found was good places to buy them not actual parts kits specifically.

We were googling and found some with no barrels and some with. He wants to build one Russian and one yugo. Can you guys help us out?

So what are some good brands of parts kits you guys go for or can reccomend for him..?

IIRC Full Russian kits cannot be imported due to weapons trade agreement.

CK_32
11-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Oh and he wants a wood kit no tactical.

And I think he wanted a chrome lined barrel and z I'm not sure if he wanted actual Russian parts just the Russian look.

Is there like a way to build a clone looking Russian. He just likes the style/looks so if there is a way to get the look of a Russian I think that's what he meant.

zfields
11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh and he wants a wood kit no tactical.

And I think he wanted a chrome lined barrel and z I'm not sure if he wanted actual Russian parts just the Russian look.

Is there like a way to build a clone looking Russian. He just likes the style/looks so if there is a way to get the look of a Russian I think that's what he meant.

You can build a clone, do you know what series of Russian AK though? The AK side folders are EXPENSIVE and hard to find.

CK_32
11-26-2011, 10:47 PM
You can build a clone, do you know what series of Russian AK though? The AK side folders are EXPENSIVE and hard to find.

Ok cool. And yea I know I showed him the AK posted in the best ak thread and with the folding stock and he said he would but they are too expensive. I think he wants the classic wood stock with wood hand guard but he said he didn't like the ones with the bump on the hand guard be wants the ones that are flat. I'll post a pic of the one he liked.

zfields
11-26-2011, 10:49 PM
He doesnt like the "Dong" : )

Most the people I see doing it use Romanian wood and refinish it in Russian red. I think royal tiger imports has sets for like 20 bucks. Russians havent used wood since 85' (at least on AK74s).

CK_32
11-26-2011, 10:50 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Rifle_AK-47.jpg/300px-Rifle_AK-47.jpg

This was one he said something about not liking the bump on the hand guard tho.

CK_32
11-26-2011, 10:55 PM
He doesnt like the "Dong" : )

Most the people I see doing it use Romanian wood and refinish it in Russian red. I think royal tiger imports has sets for like 20 bucks. Russians havent used wood since 85' (at least on AK74s).

Yea half of that was Spanish to me lol

Yea he said something about refinishing it to a dark red. Sorry for being so foreign to all this I like the way AKs look but I'm a AR guy for sure lol

zfields
11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html
Look at the AKM and the Yugo sets.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-472366.html

DJMajors
11-26-2011, 11:04 PM
look in the gunsmithing forums they may be more helpful

CK_32
11-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks. But I think he's looking for the parts kits like trigger assembly and like getting all of it in one package.

Like this
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/427

m03
11-26-2011, 11:09 PM
IIRC Full Russian kits cannot be imported due to weapons trade agreement.

...unless they come through another country. Check RGuns for their "Bulgarian" Tula kits.

zfields
11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Realize that, but to get exactly what he wants hes probably going to have to buy some extra parts. Most the bulgarian kits look like they have the humped handguard, same with the romanian. Not sure what the yugo kits are being supplied with since I didnt see any in a quick look around.

zfields
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM
...unless they come through another country. Check RGuns for their "Bulgarian" Tula kits.

ouch, them be pricey.

SJgunguy24
11-26-2011, 11:55 PM
ouch, them be pricey.

Not really if you know where to look.:cool2:

Double rivet bullet guide, has the hole punched for the sidefolder latch, and has the russian markings on the top of the trunnion as well. Oh it's a "bulgy":D

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/mybulgy2.jpg

Deadon
11-27-2011, 12:14 AM
I like my dong,lol. Yeah whatacountry is the best,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0073.jpg

CK_32
11-27-2011, 12:20 AM
I like my dong,lol. Yeah whatacountry is the best,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/tiller2nv/DSC_0073.jpg

Yea he actually likes that pistol grip one. I think it's ugly lol and I told him he can't pull off featureless if he has that pistol grip.

zfields
11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Then he likes Romanian dongs:)

CK_32
11-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Then he likes Romanian dongs:)

That eliminates his chance of pulling off a featureless tho doesn't it?

zfields
11-27-2011, 12:50 AM
That eliminates his chance of pulling off a featureless tho doesn't it?

Yup forward grip.

wash
11-27-2011, 1:38 AM
The virgin Yugo M72 RPK kits at Rguns is nice but like almost all Yugo kits it needs a special flat, 1.5mm thick and bent for a bulged trunnion which means it needs a special bending die too.

I think there might be some early M70 kits that can use a more generic flat but good luck finding one and if you do, it won't have that classic Yugo look.

For a Russian AK, a converted Saiga can be really close to a real Russian AK103 or some other AK100 variant. Buying a Saiga and doing the conversion yourself is probably a lot cheaper than buying and building a real Russian kit.

straykiller
11-27-2011, 1:44 AM

go to my website in my sig and click on the parts kits tab. Im keep track of kits that are for sale from various sites. hope it helps. also just FYI ak's dont have lower and upper receivers they just have a receiver, those flats your friend bought will be bent into the reciever

CK_32
11-27-2011, 2:33 AM
Alright cool thanks a ton for the info guys. I'll show him to this thread and hopefully he can finish his build up. I know he's been wanting to build an AK for a looooooong time.